Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Revell 1/48 Bf109G10
Topic Started: Jun 2 2014, 04:43 PM (2,748 Views)
fs2005
Member Avatar

Posted ImageI was sure Id already started a build thread on this .Anyway its nearly done now!
Lovely kit , barely 40 parts and all the better for it in my opinion .Have a Zvezda Bf109F in the stash and it has 200 pieces !
Kit is generally liked by the online critics despite being pretty ancient stretching back to when it was a Monogram release .
Anyway its fought me a lot less than the old 1/72 Airfix Bf109E I was working on from the end of last year through the first quarter of this .

So above is the colour scheme I went for (from the box pair of options).I think it looks very modern / contemporary for a 70 year old in the low vis grey!I believe these ones were meant to provide top cover for the heavily armed and armour plated 'Sturm' FW190s that attacked the bombers .
I bought a decal sheet for it with another all grey scheme but realised there are several different tailwheel length and wing wheel bulge size combinations(none of which 'matched') .Revell themselves may have gotten the kit 'wrong' as it was modelled on a US museum one that may have been two halves stuck together!Research can be frustrating very often when you realise some sources are far from 'gospel'...Late war german hardware seems especially susceptible as following 'official' production charts for painting etc was prob extremely low priority at that stage.

I put a bit of effort into the cockpit and needless to say it was mostly invisible after .I even did seatbelt buckles for first time with narrow phone cable wire strands.

Posted Image

Once again (practically EVERY plane Ive done so far - this millenium anyway!- has a crap fitting canopy !)

Posted Image

I really wanted to go for a layered look with the grey paint and went to a lot of trouble to spray various panels different shades etc .

Posted Image

I stuck the decals on early enough .Possibly earlier than was advisable but I wanted to get a 'feel' for the finished item .

Stuck a layer of Klear on top .The four 'pegs' for the drop tank should be flat 'anti sway bars' .I sanded them as flat as I could .
Posted Image

I decided to mask off and redo a lot of the inner wings / around canopy etc as there were a few blemishes in finish .

Posted Image

Sure enough despite the Klear I pulled off a bit of a decal (the 9 on port fuselage side BADLY)or two (cross on starboard upper wing) .I was too quick pulling it off, my own fault .Squealed like a little girl when I saw .And was just thinking at the time how enjoyable it is unmasking after airbrushing .

Posted Image

So Im going to put the Klear on the uncovered sections and get prop and undercart on and call this done .Exhausts will need a touch up .I HAD a strip of grey painted tape covering the canopy canyon but its come out .I will have to stick on another .Oh and the windscreen/front section of canopy has come loose !

Edited by fs2005, Jun 2 2014, 05:22 PM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
Interestingly looking scheme.
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

trpsarge

I Like the scheme, it looks good in the way you've added it.

Decals that early on they came into contact with masking tape?

Is the canopy an outright disaster?

fs2005
Member Avatar

I had a layer of Klear over them and normally Tamiya tape is as gentle as a lamb but i guess I was too quick in lifting it up.The canopy has a huge gap between front and rear halves.I wanted to preserve the 'lines' of the plane which I feel having canopy open spoils but at this stage Im sorry i didnt !
Posted Image

Posted Image

garcor
Member Avatar

That's a very nice scheme.

Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Gary

Prenton
Member Avatar

Hi John - that's a nice colour scheme, and a geat build...pity about the damage to the "9". Can you replace it with another "9" from the spares box? If not, can it be touched up/made into an "8" etc....

(of course, if it was a tank, you could just throw a bit of mud on it, or hide it with a bit of stowage, or whatever...... ;) )

What do you plan to do with the canopy at this stage?

Incidentally, I have the Zvezda 109F in my own stash - didn't realise that it had over 200 pieces. Definitely a winter build, then....

Philip
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

Think I will just call the wonky '9' weathering ! I'm guessing you got your Zvezda 109F in Greenogue .I think they got in a second when I ordered mine and it was gone from the shelf the last time I was there .Its a small ole modelling community when individual kits can be recognised like that !

Canopy will be opened .Ive had a few mini sessions with this since so hopefully it will be finished soon

Looks lovely with the big prop on .Spinner on 109s pre 'F' version look a bit 'fussy' but the later ones are so smooth !
Edited by fs2005, Jun 11 2014, 10:05 PM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

OK so I made serious inroads into this tonight .Almost finished except for a few finishing touches and maybe weathering .

New A3 Helix cutting mat from DEB (a stationery suppliers -not sure if semi wholesale -might be best to phone in advance/check website )in Fonthill - a steal at 5.99!-ready for christening!

Posted Image

Love the black green prop blades and black spinner.Corkscrew decal in my list of finishing touches alnong with stencil decals .

Posted Image

While Id had canopy issues at least its removal allowed interior to be seen a bit better.

Posted Image

What with using various shades of grey (not quite 50!)and differing numbers of layers of klear -or none -its got that patchwork quilt look I was going for -maybe a bit too much so !

Posted Image

Drilled out the cannon hole in spinner .Probably a bit narrow .First time I used the hand drill and micro bits I got at IMMA show .A worthwhile investment .

Posted Image

Fitting the canopy was a NIGHTMARE -used PVA glue (thanks Joe!)but still tried my patience -finally came up with this 'contraption'!

Posted Image

Looks nice in that pic I feel but unfortunately overall Im not happy with this just yet (and may not be in the end) .I was expecting 1/48 to be that bit more refined than 1/72 .If it was 1/72 I probably would have been happy enough

Posted Image

I replaced one of the 4 connection point for 'drop tank' that had fell off.

Posted Image

Still enjoying the 109s -just as well as Ive 6 more in stash !

Posted Image

Happy enough with interior even if I lost the gunsight...

Hopefully final session will polish up the rough edges a bit -quite a few paint imperfections , Klear 'pollution' with bits of gunk,hairs etc .Need to add 'wires' also .Might need two more sessions ...
Oh yeah , in case you didnt spot I accidentlally speckled the yoke with black spots when I was brush painting some parts !Doesnt look quite as bad in the plastic .Only spottted after it dried :-(

Edited by fs2005, Jun 12 2014, 11:46 PM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

trpsarge

So glad you came up with a solution to the canopy.

Looks good all round to me.

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Looks great, don't be hard on yourself, it's never as perfect as we'll hope it'll be when we first open the box!

One quick thing, if you could get a little bit of paint on the seatbelts that would improve the cockpit even more, stopping the eye being drawn to the yellow tape...

Great solution for the cockpit, i always like the ideas people come up with to deal with issues...

J.
On the bench -
Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F2001

Completed builds -
Click here

Prenton
Member Avatar

fs2005
Jun 11 2014, 09:58 PM
I'm guessing you got your Zvezda 109F in Greenogue .I think they got in a second when I ordered mine and it was gone from the shelf the last time I was there .Its a small ole modelling community when individual kits can be recognised like that !
John

no it wasn't me....there must be another secret 109F Zvezda admirer out there...

Actually, I got mine well over a year ago. I had read on one of the Luftwaffe / 109 sites /blogs on the net (can't remember which one, as I'm in so many :D ) that Zvezda's kit was by far the best Friedrich in 1/48th, and just knew that I had to have one. I purchased it from Diarmuid Byrne of Transport Books and Kits (or whatever the company name is). He got it for me, and gave me a sizeable reduction, so that it cost me less than €20. Nice guy! (He had a trader's stand at the IMSS show, and will have one also at D3).

Of course, it has lain in the stash since then... (isn't that always the story? ;) )

Nice work on that canopy - it's great that you have managed to get it open, and we can see the fine work you did with the weathering/highlighting in the cockpit. Great job on the cannon barrel in the spinner - looks very well :clap:

Cheers,

Philip
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

Well in the cold light of dawn it looks/ed a bit better -opposite of beer goggles I guess !Sometimes after a long modelling session as you're getting tired things can appear worse than they actually are .The PVA has done a solid job on the open canopy .Not sure I'd be swinging out of it like you could with superglue and accelerator ( some say water works as accelerator and I remember a guy from Dublin Modellers Society over 30 years ago saying blowing hot and cold breath alternately on superglue would speed it up ! ) But it's held up to as hard pressure as I dare use to 'test' it .And it's amazing that the excess can be rubbed off easily .

Under 20 for a Zvezda 1/48 F4 has got to be cheapest available to Ireland from anywhere .
Edited by fs2005, Jun 13 2014, 09:32 PM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Joseph M

Hi John, re the doggie "9" you could turn it into a feature if you decide that this area was a repair from battle damage and change the colour on a bigger bit of the "9" area to reflect a repair job.
Cheers
Joe
On the bench in order of nearest to completion;
A Model 1/72 Spad A.2 Finished 24/4/18
A Z Models 1/72 Morane "WR". (Schneider race entry from 1914).
K P Models 1/72 Avia BH-3
Mark 1 Models 1/144 Gloster Gladiator Finished 1/7/8
SRAM Models 1/144 SIA 7-B (Resin)
Valom Models 1144 A pair of Sopwith Pups
MSD Models 1/72 Vickers Vimy 66 Commercial
Revell 1/72 Fokker D.VII conversion to a two seater
Curtiss Condor (added 24/4/18) 1/81
Ansaldo S.V.A 9 (added 24/4/18)

Posted Image

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

Well Ive just finished another long session at this and am feeling a bit more positive now that its closer to being 'finished'.(I also did a quick session of panel washing and mild weathering previously)So I did all those little things that we often think arent quite necessary towards the end of a build and are tempted to skip but do make the difference eg aileron blance weights , pitot tube and aerials .Also the wires -one from aerial mast to rudder and another section of it which goes down inside the canopy to behind the pilots seat (presumably en route to the pilots controls (pedals?).I had initially thought this was some kind of 'prop' to hold open the canopy !The former was invisible mending thread and the latter stretched sprue (which I also used to replace the out of scale pitot tube)Did a lot of the stencil decalling also .Anyway lots of pics .

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Have a very pronounced 'step' in the two shades of grey half way along the fuselage -far from the subtle colour modulation I was aiming for !

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Have 3 or 4 nasty scalpel scrapes where rescribing went wrong!Ouch!One visible near the small number 3 on fuselage .Those little fuselage panel numbers characteristic of 109s were individual decals and a pain!

Posted Image

Some more stencils , the 'hoop' aerial on spine and a few finishing touches and this 109 will be 'officially' ready for the shelf (its been living there a week or so now )

Edited by fs2005, Jun 20 2014, 12:26 AM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
That 'wire going behind the pilot's seat' in the canopy is, actually, retaining cable for the open canopy. There are some details missing in the kit, which would populate the rear bulkhead and which would make things a bit clearer:

Posted Image
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

Drat!I thought that was only in the standard canopy version with mast behind .This pic seems to suggest both the 'canopy retaining cable and 'extension' of rudder wire are present in some versions of G10 (assuming this modeller has done his research better than me !)

Posted Image

Edited by fs2005, Jun 20 2014, 09:48 AM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
I am not an expert on 109s and I may be totally off the ball here, but I have a bit of time on my hands while looking after the kids today and I have done some gooooglin' too...

From what I would say is, that the aerial mast would be made from some sort of timber/compressed saw dust or something and I wonder why would anyone lead a cable through the mast going to - where? Radio receiver was in the fuselage and connecting/disconnecting the cable every time somebody opens the canopy hood seems like very impractical solution.
My guess is, that the cable leading from general direction of the mast is part of canopy quick release mechanism of some sort, as it looks like it's running along the canopy edge and ends at the canopy release handle. I haven't found any photos of the 'White 9', nevertheless I have found this easy to read page with diagrams of Erla built 109s. Note the aerial cable...
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

Part of the 'problem' here I've realised is a misunderstanding I've had going back to when I was a kid .I thought the dorsal wire on planes sometimes controlled the rudder ! Anyway pretty much finished now ! Got radio hoop and last few stencils on and had a rough bash at fixing the '9' decal that got torn by Tamiya tape pulled off too quickly .Final pics to follow .

Will bring this in to meeting tomorrow (talk is on judging at competitions)maybe find out some of the 127 reasons it won't be winning Best In Class at the Nationals !

Klear smudges on canopy
Flecks / spots of dark grey / black paint on upper surfaces due to careless brush painting of another area /component
Imperfect painting of canopy frames inside and out
Paint 'creep' past 'borders' eg between tyre and wheel etc
Surface / paint finish imperfections
Joint lines where they shouldn't be
No joint lines where they should ( fuselage intake side)
Cockpit fuel pipe should be yellow
Semi Fictitious / inaccurate canopy retaining wire
Red fuselage band would have been better painted
Etc
Etc
Etc

The amazing thing is that some models at shows DO appear to be 'almost perfect'!

Anyway I've tried some new techniques and have improved in some aspects so that's half the battle !Had fun and relaxed too so I guess that covers most bases.

Now what next ? Could be anything from one of a trio of Airfix/Matchbox vintage 1/32 sports cars (Bugatti/Aston/Alfa) to 1/400 Airfix HNoMS St Albans destroyer to 1/72 Spit I or Bf109 E( have two of em)or G6/14 or 1/48 Bf109E /F/G6 .1/48 Fokker DVII OR 1/72 Fokker DrI (two also ) Also toying with idea of 'converting' a cheap and nasty Testors Salt Flat Racer into a '1930s Rekordwagen' .Not sure if I want a break from 109s/planes but idea of 'railings' putting me off the destroyer .I now feel ships look 'wrong ' without them but sets are dearer than the kit and I've never used photo etch at all.

Answers/suggestions ( in under 4000 words) ASAP please :-)

Edited by fs2005, Jun 20 2014, 06:39 PM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

Finished!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by fs2005, Jun 20 2014, 03:49 PM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

trpsarge

No model can ever replicate the real thing...anyone who knows aeroplanes know that no two are the same and they can actually change daily in how they appear. Photos are probably the worst reference as they tend to have to many variables to deal with.

Striving for 'perfection' is a fools errand.I've listened to the experts and laughed. Hence I would never offer anything I build to be judged, as more often than not being the builder I know more than the judge.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Airfield · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: