Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Seehund Xxviib/b5; Bronco Models - 1/35th scale
Topic Started: Oct 5 2014, 07:44 PM (7,128 Views)
Prenton
Member Avatar

Well, as mentioned previously, I am entering with this kit:-

Posted Image

It's by Bronco Models, better known for their vehicle kits, I understand.

The obligatory sprue shots:-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
There are two of these sprues - one for each torpedo.

There is a total of 82 parts, plus a small fret of PE (for the propellor blades), and a single transparent part (for the canopy). [The ICM version of
this in 1/72nd has no transparency]

Posted Image

There are also some decals.

Posted Image

Even a stand is provided:-

Posted Image

The kit gives me four options for external finishes, and some of these are variants, so I will have to choose which variant I will go for before I begin.

Posted Image

Posted Image

More in a day or two, when I get down to it. So far, all that I have done is to wash all the pieces/sprues in soapy water, rinse them and dry them.

Philip
Edited by Prenton, Oct 5 2014, 10:49 PM.
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

fs2005
Member Avatar

Did you finish the RJ85 /BAE146 ?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Prenton
Member Avatar

fs2005
Oct 5 2014, 09:07 PM
Did you finish the RJ85 /BAE146 ?
You do have a sharp memory, John!

No - not yet. Will probably put it into the KUTA 2 over Christmas.

I wanted to get the group build started instead - delayed itself by all the preparations for D3. I reckoned that if I start now, I have a reasonable chance - what with Telford and all - of getting the sub finished by the December deadline...

Philip
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image

Mfun
Member Avatar

This kit is great, i have one in my stash, like other Bronco models the detail level and the fit are the best...for me...
Keep calm and built your models !!
Posted Image

Karl187
Member Avatar

Thats a great looking kit Philip- best of luck with the build!
Karl N. Hoy

On The Bench:

Ethiopian BMP-1 (Trumpeter 1/35)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

Just picked up the Revell ( ICM re box?)1/72 version for a tenner in gift set format , bargain ! Pity the two poor beggars in this yoke for 5-10 days !Lots lost to bad weather and propensity to leak Carbon Monoxide when damaged

Grim reading below

"What you say about the privations aboard seems very true. Quite apart from the voyages mentioned above, Blocksdorf quotes a case, but without naming the crew or boat, in which the engineer asked the commander to shoot him, which he did. The commander than shot himself in the head, but not fatally. Several days later he was found off the Dutch coast clinging to the wreck of an MTB (whether British or German is not stated). Blocksdorf states that he has not been able to discover the court-martial papers. Apparently a very dim view was taken of crews shooting each other, and a suicide pact which went wrong is murder by the survivor. One wonders what horrors these two men went through to seek such a way out of their distress."
Edited by fs2005, Oct 12 2014, 10:24 AM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Prenton
Member Avatar

So - some progress at last.

I have sprayed the insides matt black, as there is little to see there, but it will mean that any daylight visible through the holes in the hull will show darkness.
As you can see, there are holes towards the front end, and also near the back. (Luckily, the kit has them already opened, so I don't have to drill out any, unlike Joe!)

Posted Image

Then I decided to start off with a little bit of pre-shading on all of the raised weld lines on the hull (seeing as I had some matt black still in the airbrush).
These lines may be covered with the primer later, but hey, there's no harm in a little practice!

Posted Image
(This photo also shows the inside of the conning tower similarly painted up in matt black.)

Tomorrow, I will put the hull together, as well as the two halves of each of the torpedoes, and see whether any filler will be needed.

Thanks for looking,

Philip
Edited by Prenton, Oct 23 2014, 12:12 AM.
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image

Parkadge
Member Avatar

Nice bit of progress Philip.
Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

Looks fairly small,my 1/72 one must be a tiddler.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Prenton
Member Avatar

It's not that small, John. I will measure, but I think the hull in this kit is about 10 inches long.

Anyhow, more progress...

I got home early last night (to avoid the Bank Holiday weekend traffic on the N7), so had a couple of hours.

The hull went together as did the rear baffle plate and the propellor/ Kort nozzle.

Posted Image

Once it was dry, I noticed the need for a little filler around the propellor area, so on has gone the green stuff:-

Posted Image

I will let that dry until tonight and then do the sanding (and if necessary apply a bit of Mr Surfacer to finish).

However, most of my time last night was spent on doing the two torpedoes. I had glued them together on Thursday night, and spent much
of yesterday evening eliminating any sign whatever of the seam at top and bottom (they come in two parts, with a separate "tail").. These
torpedoes, or at least all but the nose cap, will be painted in natural metal finish (alclad), and therefore I have to get an absolutely pristine
finish. So - about an hour of sanding and buffing with progressively finer pieces of sandpaper and micromesh has given me this rather shiny
finish.

Posted Image

Even with my magnifying light, I now cannot see any sign of a seam on either of them.....(the circular gaps have various pieces to go
into them - I assume they were access hatches and the like in real life)

More later in the weekend.

Thanks for looking.

Philip
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

Its funny how I can now look at rear of a Seehund and compare whether it has a 'steerable' circular 'jet' or 'proper' twin rudders and classify it as "Early " or "Late"....I guess this is about a thousand times less likely to be a hot topic of discussion than the bulges that differentiate a 109G6 from a G2 ....The valuable , transferable skills and talents we modellers develop , huh !?Every day's a school day , I guess...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Prenton
Member Avatar

A bit more work done....

The various additional items were added to the assembled hull (some of which were quite intricate and small), and the area to be left
under the superstructure was painted in black, so as to give the illusion of something being under there....or at least to prevent any see-through.

Posted Image
(and I have include a euro coin for scale)

The filler around the propellors has been sanded and has now been finished with some Mr Surfacer 1000.

Posted Image

Turning to the torpedoes, the four fins were affixed to each one, and allowed to dry. This showed a pretty poor fit, so some more Mr Surfacer 1000 has had to
be put into the resultant gaps. I will wait until tomorrow evening before attempting some sanding (and further polishing).

Posted Image

The build is not as fast as John's 1/72nd version, but she is coming along nicely.....

Philip
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

I'm nearly finished Philip ! Spent most of the day working on it .Pleased with my clear canopy made by stuffing a paintbrush handle into clear plastic after dipping in freshly boiled water in a mug . ( Took quite a lot of attempts to get it right .Having the right 'plunger' seems key with toughness of plastic also important ( no,point in having a dome so soft the slightest tip makes it crumple ) .Your torps look far nicer than mine .
Posted Image

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

I'll see your 1/35 and raise you a 1/9 !!!

http://www.otwdesigns.com/products/german-submarines-wwii/seehund/

Make a heck of a diorama with this !!!

Posted Image

and change from a grand !!!

http://www.otwdesigns.com/assets/Uploads/Seehund2.JPG

If my maths serves me correctly thats almost 59 times bigger for barely 10-15 times the cost .Bargain!And Im guessing 1/9 scale 'etch' is really easy to work with -might need a vice to bend it in!

I reckon their camo is fictitious , its funny how even 'authentic' 1:1 scale museum pieces have such poor research done-after enormous expenditure on the hardware restoration etc .

Some good documentaries (and builds) on Youtube about Seehunds .Some lovely footage in the dutch 'recovery' one .I now know its pronounced "SAY"hund and not "SEA"hund .Sehr gut!

Edited by fs2005, Oct 28 2014, 11:08 AM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Prenton
Member Avatar

Thanks for that, John. I think I've paid enough for this kit (though I did talk to a trader at Telford that can custom make a base and clear cover for a display case
that will fit the completed sub for about £40, which I may well purchase).

Some small progress reported on the model itself:-

The conning tower has gone on - needed a little bit of fettling, but not too bad...

Posted Image

Then I filled the tower and open hatches on it with some blu-tack in order to retain the black insides and prevent overspray.

Posted Image

Then the finished hull got its first proper coat of paint, which was thankfully light enough to see some traces of the pre-shading.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I took off the Kort nozzle in order to better paint the prop area. Also visible is the top of the conning tower hatch, and the holders on each side for the torpedoes,
which have yet to be attached.

Next job will be a start on the painting of the torpedoes themselves (I stocked up on some Alclad at Telford for this).

Thanks for looking..

Philip
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image

Michael M
Member Avatar

Looks nice Phillip. If You want to get better control over shades, pre-shades and stuff like that try out 6:1 proportions. You're going for the spotty one i guess...??

Prenton
Member Avatar

Michael M
Nov 11 2014, 11:33 PM
Looks nice Phillip. If You want to get better control over shades, pre-shades and stuff like that try out 6:1 proportions. You're going for the spotty one i guess...??
Michael - I assume you mean 6 thinner to 1 paint?

On the variant - not sure yet - this was just a primer coat. I am leaning towards option no. 2 - a lighter grey without any spots!

(Don't like the spotty one, as it looks a little too much like Luftwaffe mottling.....and I have enough of those, thanks)

Philip
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image

Mfun
Member Avatar

Great paint job Philip.
Keep calm and built your models !!
Posted Image

Prenton
Member Avatar

Michael M
Nov 11 2014, 11:33 PM
Or, of course, I could go MAD, and do it like this:-

Posted Image

(I spotted this photo on the IPMS Denmark's site - a yellow Seehund (from the same Bronco kit) as a post war "leisure" boat - apparently
used (if my rough translation from the Danish/Swedish is correct) on a trip across the Atlantic?

Philip
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

I'd say it would barely have the range to do a tenth of the trip and wouldn't be nearly 'seaworthy' enough .
Posted Image

Posted Image

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Submarines [2014] · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: