Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
  • Pages:
airbrush tips, guides
Topic Started: Dec 4 2014, 12:53 PM (3,192 Views)
cornflake kid

hi all just ordered this set, to get some more detailed paint finishes onto future models, can anyone recommend a source or tips for maintaining the airbrush, compressor, flows etc... as its all new to me

been working from a basic cheap single action brush and aircan till now... so well excited about this...

ebay airbrush http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AS-186-Complete-Airbrush-Kit-Compressor-With-Tank-/200600974912?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:IE:3160

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dasike
Member Avatar

Best and easiest thing to do is contact their shop and see if they do the spares or can put you in contact with the source of the brush. As for maintaining, just follow all the usual tips. Spray it through with whatever thinners you use to clear out the paint. Run a drop of water through to rinse it out almost. Careful with the needle and follow all the instructions on how to take it apart and put it back together.
Compressor looks fairly alright. Same basic thing, follow everything it tells you and seems to have a release valve in the bottom. When you use all the air in the tank you might need to open that to get the water out of the tank as it can build up inside and cause you problems. Again just follow anything the instructions tell you and shouldn't have any problems :D

cornflake kid

Brill thanks Dasike, have a few tutorial videos bookmarked from youtube to get through...
looking forward to experimenting with it :D

cyclonus

Before applying primer by airbrush should i polish the model BEFORE or AFTER the primer goes on (polshing by means of a polishing stick).thanks

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
What is the reason for polishing?
Removing small scratches and dust?
There's thing called sanding mesh or polishing cloth. Basically, a cloth covered with very fine sanding dust. That'll should polish model and give it nice finish. You can polish before primer and after primer as well. All depends how happy you are with the primer finish.

A small basic tutorial of 'how to paint' is here
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

cyclonus

The idea is simply to have a "shiny" finish to the plastic in the hope Iit gives a better surface for primer/ paint to adhere to.

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
Well, in theory, the shinier finish the worse adhesion as there is no 'key' to which the paint can stick to.
But, in plastic modelling, we are blessed that it doesn't work, entirely, this way.
So, polish the model before primer, wash the model as per the step-by-step thread in the link in my above post, do your primer, polish it again, if you wish, wash it again, ready for camouflage.

Some people do the polishing after each cammo paint... There's no right and no wrong, it's all down to the quality of finish during each stage of painting process and paints used. Some paints are very fragile, some can withstand a bit of abuse.
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

cyclonus

Forgot to say the model in question is the airfix 1/72 hawk t1 "red arrows 50th anniversary" kit (yep I love the bae hawk,this will be my 3rd one)

des byrne
Member Avatar
des Byrne
This maybe a stupid question but here it goes when igot my airbrush kit I bought 2 extra air brushes 1 cheap ones and one a bit more expensive I'm going to use the dear one for all the main painting of wings ect, and the cheap ones I'm gonna use one for metallic paints and the other for clear coats only I'm at the stage now on my mephis belle where I'm gonna start on the first clear coat which I'll be using klear so do I need to dilute this in anyway and if so what with and also when cleaning the air brush will I use thinners and then airbrush cleaner or will water do and is it alright to use klear in a airbrush as I don't want to ruin it or melt the o rings or something like that just want to be safe than sorry
Thank in advance

Des
Edited by des byrne, Jul 5 2015, 09:03 PM.

Prenton
Member Avatar

des byrne
Jul 5 2015, 09:01 PM
This maybe a stupid question but here it goes when igot my airbrush kit I bought 2 extra air brushes 1 cheap ones and one a bit more expensive I'm going to use the dear one for all the main painting of wings ect, and the cheap ones I'm gonna use one for metallic paints and the other for clear coats only I'm at the stage now on my mephis belle where I'm gonna start on the first clear coat which I'll be using klear so do I need to dilute this in anyway and if so what with and also when cleaning the air brush will I use thinners and then airbrush cleaner or will water do and is it alright to use klear in a airbrush as I don't want to ruin it or melt the o rings or something like that just want to be safe than sorry
Thank in advance

Des
Hi Des

I use Klear neat in my airbrush, and it works fine. If you want, you can dilute it with a little water. Main thing is to give it a soft light coat, so as to avoid ponding / drips. Better to do two or three light coats rather than one heavy one (you can guess how I know!)

I just clean Klear from my airbrush the same way as any acrylic (it is an acrylic varnish) - with airbrush cleaner first, and then a final push through of water. (Other may differ, but it works for me!)

I don't think Klear can melt o-rings. Cellulose thinners definitely can!

Philip
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

des byrne
Member Avatar
des Byrne
Cheers philip I'll be trying that way tomorrow and when the mephis belle is finished I'll be airbrushing all my models so expect a few more questions hahaha :D

Parkadge
Member Avatar

Good little demo on preshading

http://www.plasticmodelsworld.com/node/1361

Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

AlphaAl

cornflake kid
Dec 4 2014, 12:53 PM
hi all just ordered this set, to get some more detailed paint finishes onto future models, can anyone recommend a source or tips for maintaining the airbrush, compressor, flows etc... as its all new to me

been working from a basic cheap single action brush and aircan till now... so well excited about this...

ebay airbrush http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AS-186-Complete-Airbrush-Kit-Compressor-With-Tank-/200600974912?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:IE:3160

Hi mate , how are you getting on with this kit ? Iv seen the same one online , and I'm thinking of getting it as my first airbrush and compressor , iv never used or even seen one in operation other then on videos. Is it a good one to start with ? That would be my price range at the moment , and after some practice I would get a better quality airbrush for for now is it ok ? if anyone else on here has any advice or suggestions all is welcome . Cheers

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Hi Al...

I got this set a couple of weeks ago. So far I've only tried it out a couple of times, and haven't brought it near a model yet (though that'll happen soon).

Initial opinion is that it's decent, especially the compressor, which if you treat it well should last you. It has everything you need, Moisture Trap, Tank, safety valves, Pressure Regulator etc. etc.

The airbrushes are cheap and cheerful, but like you I'm using them in a 'get used to airburshing' way. I find keeping them clean is awkward, but that's more to do with my lack of airbrush experience than the airbrush itself.

Haven't really used it enough for a more detailed opinion, but really for the money (I think mine cost €110 including shipping) it's a great 'starter' set, with the advantage that the compressor should never need to be upgraded, though the airbrush probably will be.

Hope that helps, if you've any particular questions please let me know...

J.
On the bench -
Italeri 1:72 ACH-47 Chinook Gunship

Completed builds -
Click here

AlphaAl

Hi Jason ,
I just ordered one. It can't be too bad for someone starting out, I'll have play around with it for a while and see how I get on.

fs2005
Member Avatar

It's the one to have for beginner , it's great ,I have mine five or six years .The airbrush will break nozzle ( certainly if you remove it for cleaning after every use -the thread snaps after around 12-20 'releases ' or a year ) or needle knurled nut ('tightener' )which will also be loosened every cleaning session .Some do a strip down of airbrush every time ,others unclog them with really strong fluids when they clog .I guess it depends on your outlook/philosophy and how you treat your bike , car , pet , 'significant other ' etc etc !
The airbrushed can be got on EBay for €12-20 posted so there's no need to pamper them I guess .Next upgrade would be H&S Ultra with paint set included (€65-90)then Badger SOTAR(€100++ ) ( in my opinion )
Edited by fs2005, Dec 14 2016, 02:46 PM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

johnnyK

Hi Al and all!
I agree with fs2005, this is a good choice for beginner. Choice of compressor is crucial in my opinion when starting airbrushing.....the wrong compressor and you could end up frustrated.Those brushes in the kit have small nozzles, so the the compressor doesn't need a very high working pressure......
I personally bought the Badger Patriot with a .5 nozzle along with the Paasche D3000R .....very happy with those 2...:)
Don't rush in buying cheap compressor or brush....I found really good advices on airbrushes and compressors on airbrushGeek
Good luck

fs2005
Member Avatar

If your paint isn't coming out with the slightest rearward pressure on trigger ( as it should ) the quick fix is a rub of needle with alcohol or thinners soaked brush ( for acrylics or enamel respectively ) .If that doesn't work there's a fair chance the nozzle is full of gunk .This is very likely if using white ( which has bigger pigments) or cheaper paint .The only answer ( apart from maybe the ultrasonic route which I never tried ) is to VERY carefully try tease out the gunk through the nozzle tip .Theres a high chance of damaging needle tip doing this :-( but at least your airbrush will work again .H&S and Chinese needles are delicate , Badger ones seem tougher .
Edited by fs2005, May 28 2017, 09:21 PM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Prenton
Member Avatar

This happened to me this evening - there was a bit of gunk in the nozzle, and I didn't want to risk the H & S needle. Water and normal cleaners didn't do it. So I soaked the nozzle in a little bit of cellulose thinners for ten minutes (the nozzle has a teflon seal - don't even think of soaking if it hasn't!).

Anyhow, after ten minutes, I loaded up the airbrush, put water through it at about 40 psi, and, hey presto, it cleared. (I then of course took it apart and cleaned everything with lots of water , to get any residue of cellulose thinners away). Job was OXO, and clear again.

Philip
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

Well I've been having mixed success with my airbrushing lately and in particular LOADS of tip dry and some nozzle clogging ....

So last night I was messing around with my trusty 5 or 6 year old AS186 compressor and heard water sloshing about .Now I regularly empty the water drain plug at bottom of tank and press in release tap on water trap ( THAT has a hole down the centre and if you press it from below with finger tip you're blocking hole and it ain't emptying water .)ANYWAY there was a layer of black gunk blocking the tank drain hole ( must be only a couple months old as water def drained out this year ) .I unclogged it with a pencil tip ( which was blackened ) I was then astonished to get several eggcup fills of filthy rusty water out of the tank !!!

I also took a wrench to the front of the water trap mechanism to remove it and clean out the inside of rusty gunk .

I made the mistake of removing a partially perished , crumbling washer from inside the metal pipe .The darn thing then leaked at the joint ( and when fully tight the airbrush holder and pressure adjuster /gauge sat diagonally )

I got a set of 'rubber rings ' ( and some plumbers tape and sealant which in the end I didn't need )from B and Q .No common plumbers washers would fit .I was amazed that two of the rings kept it perfectly airtight even though the nut was loose enough to rotate water trap around .

Anyway airbrushing is now vastly superior .

So maybe shake your compressors tonight !
Edited by fs2005, Jun 25 2017, 07:23 PM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Hints & Tips, Tools & Resources · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: