Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Revell Chevy Impala - Police Car; 1/25th Scale Model Kit
Topic Started: Jun 2 2015, 09:06 PM (3,238 Views)
Ger

Revell Chevy Impala - Police Car

Posted Image

- Original Model began production in 1959.

- Quickly rose to become the most sold Chevrolet model
- Between 1959 - 1999 13 Million cars sold.

- 8th Gen Impala released in 1999. Unlike ealier models in its the class range it was driven by six cylinder engines.

- Police packages developed and enjoyed great populatirty among many different US Police Departments nationwide.

- Police model included reinforced chassis and a 203hp 3.8 litre v6 engine.

- Top speed 216 km/h.

- 0-100 in 7.2 seconds.

The Box itself and the spurs included. You get decals too. Hope to enter this is the show in September. If I don't screw it up that is. Wish me luck, It's the first car model kit I've ever built. We'll see how the build log goes :).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by Ger, Jun 2 2015, 09:08 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
Are there any extra 'police' bits for the interior as well? Like radios, dash cam, mesh on the rear, shotgun and so on? Or is that a shotgun after all in that Black sprue?
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

Ger

Yup there's a computer, shotgun & dashcam. There's also the clear plastic barrier between the front seats & the back. No radio though, which is a bit of a let down. Might look at seeing if there's some aftermarket parts knocking about to make it just that bit more authentic.

Karl187
Member Avatar

Looks like a nice kit- pity about the radio but I reckon you'll be able to find one in that scale easy enough. Is there a choice of decal options in the box- I can't tell what it is from the box art? Despite its age I think there are still a fair few of this generation Impala in service. It looks quite good in NYPD colors.
Karl N. Hoy

On The Bench:

Ethiopian BMP-1 (Trumpeter 1/35)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ger

There's 3 colour schemes and 3 decals schemes to match. Had a poke around this website looking for accessories, might use them to get some parts. http://www.policecarmodels.com/. I havn't used them before. Anyone have any experience? They've loads of decals listed if you want to get more department specific ones.

Decals

Posted Image

City Police

Posted Image

Canton Ohio PD

Posted Image

Other one. Has the silver badge in the middle of the hood, didn't photograph it.

Posted Image
Edited by Ger, Jun 3 2015, 05:50 PM.

Ger

So! Late update! New compressor I bought turned out to be faulty, returned it and got a replacement! Looks like modelling is back on the menu!

I've made great progress! Pics arn't that great, no matter what lighting I took them in they turned out funny. Made the best with what I got.

Chairs and inside painted, going to paint the middle panel which holds the laptop semi gloss black like the rest of the parts. That's still on my list to do but I though I'd update it all anyhow. Colour is darker, was taken under flash.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Doors and dash finished. Coat of semi gloss then decals added & then sealed with semi gloss again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Both the drivers side door and the passengers have decal window switches on the door frames as seen below.

Posted Image

All in all happy with how it's turning out so far.

Next I'll be working on the laptop, dashcam, shotgun and barrier between the front and back of the police car.

Ger

Starting to take shape now!

Posted Image

Next I'm going to work on the main body. Will update during that process!

Ger

Began work on the body, it was more difficult that I thought. The edges are still quite rough where the black and white meet. I'll be going over them with a brush. Also still need to do the door handles but I thought I'd post an update anyhow.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Narayan
Member Avatar
Graham
Great work so far Ger.

Graham
Posted Image

Ger

Well, last couple of weeks I've really been struggling with painting the body. From layers of spraying with the airbrush to brush painting in parts. Got to the stage where I just want to finish it and maybe try again later with a new kit in the future. Part that was the most difficult was the end where the doors met the frame & the door handles. The handles were brush painted and it didn't turn out to well. Turns out the handle were actually decals, so a bit of rtfm there haha. So I worked with what I had and then finished the painting and moved onto the decals. Decals worked a treat and I'm happy how they've turned out.

Next step would to be another coat of gloss and then work on the windows and add the headlights etc. Happy with the progress all in all.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

Looks good to me .

This is as good a 'primer' on painting as any Ive read

http://forum.ipmsireland.com/topic/8226054/1/#new

What company sent the (hassle free?) second compressor ?
Edited by fs2005, Aug 31 2015, 07:23 PM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Ger

fs2005
Aug 31 2015, 07:16 PM
Looks good to me .

This is as good a 'primer' on painting as any Ive read

http://forum.ipmsireland.com/topic/8226054/1/#new

What company sent the (hassle free?) second compressor ?
I bought it in Marks models. It's the Badger air compressor with the tank.

Update time!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And then!

Disaster! Expletives were said.

Posted Image

RIP
Edited by Ger, Sep 24 2015, 01:37 PM.

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
What happened?

I think you'll be able to get spare sprue from Revell - for a few bob
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

Ger

Originally I had sprayed it with Tamiya semi gloss the get the black paint on it matching the rest of the body. However it clouded over the glass and I wasn't happy with it. I removed the majority of the gloss with revell colour mix thinner. Just by using a Q tip and rubbing it on the windshield etc to clean it up. It was working well until the jar ran out, so I switched over to using humbrol enamel thinners thinking it was the same thing.. and well that's how the windshield ended up like that.

I'll have a look at the revell website, cheers.

Ger

Have to give a shoutout to Revell's Customer service. Replaced the part free of charge which I got in the post this morning. It took a while as it coincides with the manufacturing process. This means I'll be able to finish this kit which is fantastic. Thanks Revell. :). Thanks to those too who directed me to them.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Garage · Next Topic »
Add Reply