Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Tamiya 1/700 Z Klasse Destroyer
Topic Started: Feb 14 2016, 08:29 PM (1,924 Views)
fs2005
Member Avatar

Always thought 1/700 ships were too small scale to be practical , and considering the trouble I had with my 1/400 destroyer ( at least two abandonments / temporary postponements !) they were the last thing on my To Do List .Then I was visiting a railway museum near Darlington last Christmas .It had a Toy fair with a decent selection of model kits .I was amazed by the detail in some "Sky Wave / Pit Road " 1/700 ships although I didnt buy any . However a month or so later I got this pair -two ships in the box (and a similar Scharnhorst for around 20 euro on Ebay )

Posted Image

Two colour schemes , more striking early version with less anti aircraft guns or grey scheme with the upgraded 1944 " Barbara " AA upgrade

Posted Image

Doesnt seem much to it ...famous last words!

Posted Image

Forward AA platform first unit completed.

Posted Image

Few more ' bits and pieces ' , but a fair bit of work there!Radar looks nice for plastic .

Posted Image

last of four platforms was particularly 'busy' .least happy with how this turned out .Barrels have a bit of 'micro-flash' but on such small pieces they spoil the appearance .But anti slip deck effect looks nice.

Posted Image

Secondary mast not awesome either .

Posted Image

Four units placed on deck without glue at end of 3-4 hours and I wonder where the heck the day went !

Posted Image

Posted Image

Painted decks in a later session with dark grey but it was too dark and brushmarks were visible so I gave it a dusting of light grey from airbrush .

Posted Image

Will have to darken main deck a bit more.Etch raillings on way from Australia for under a tenner , should be fun !

Edited by fs2005, Feb 14 2016, 08:52 PM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Michael M
Member Avatar

Hahaha fair play John, that scale is too small for me, I'll gladly observe your fight. My Z-39 is (or rather will be ) the Barbara option. I think i'ts time for experiment with water, If you've said A, you should say B as well :-"
Edited by Michael M, Feb 15 2016, 12:40 AM.

35th-Scale
Member Avatar
Sean
Cute! & tiny! But I do like the lines of destroyers....very sleek
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

Yeah I love corvettes and destroyers too .Lots of good movies eg The Cruel Sea featuring them .Anyway shortest update ever .Painted 8 rafts /Carley Floats .Not even particularly carefully .White , some tinged with flesh .Often in figure painting but sometimes in armour and even ships a neat thorough coating of paint looks artificial and a nicer effect can be achieved with some of the shade of plastic or undercoat showing through (even more so airbrushing )Anyway a bit of a wash maybe and these should be ready to stick on side of superstructure .Well that could be rubbish or badly put but those 'lines' on floors would be lost if i just lashed on 2 or 3 layers of thick white.

Posted Image

Edited by fs2005, Feb 16 2016, 05:26 PM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

OK going to try post a few updates today on latest projects .Heres the Z Klasse :

Sprayed a couple layers of darker grey on deckas and light on hull.Yes theyre two completely different shades of grey .iPhone 4 camera not good .

Posted Image

They say the body / mind doesnt have the capacity to remember pain .Forgetting it is a psycho evolutionary survival response .As proof last years 1/400 destroyer and in particular its etch railings ....I vaguelly recall it being a bit tricky now and then. So I ordered some 1/700 etch raillings from Australia .Watch this space for mental health updates !

Posted Image

Have just sat all the pieces together in above pic -not glued yet

Posted Image

The thing with these 1/700 yokes is that in theory a fast modeller could knock them out practically by the hour .But they could also 'drag on' (hmm thats not the most positive term maybe)for months depending on dedication /skill/available time .

Posted Image

Insert 'big paint pot' gag here :-)

Posted Image

Actually this is probably as long as the recent subforum mini WW1 sub and modern russian attack hovercraft placed end to end together so Im going to stop being such a baby and log off this update for now

Edited by fs2005, Apr 10 2016, 11:22 AM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

Last day of the long Summer hols ...what could be more relaxing than a spot of 1/700 rail attachment !!!

Posted Image

Cheapest source for German 1/700 rail was as stated in Australia .Dragon brand .Sharp new scalpel blade on glass tile to cut .Def NOT spongy cutting mat .

Posted Image

Before and ..

Posted Image

After ( note model in the display cabinet - wasn't 'finished' but I may have been finished with it !

Posted Image

Used a 'fancy' PVA type product Tony Crean gave me some of ( sold in Marks I think ) ( the bottle caps I had decanted some into ,sealed in sellotape and stored in an airtight lunchbox hadn't stopped it from hardening into a thick wax but a drop of water revived it .I did the entire lengths in one piece .They seemed to be 'designed' to match the length of the Z Klasse or maybe a coincidence .I didn't paint them , thought I'd see if I could get away with the raw silver grey ( not brass) look .

Anyway I'm delighted this didn't end in tears /rage .Hope the front half ( sorry 'Bow' MM !) goes as smoothly

Note 1/400 destroyer in background ...its rails are waaaaay bigger

Edited by fs2005, Aug 24 2016, 07:32 PM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

( Jeez last update was 9 months ago !) Removed the two stern side rails I'd fitted and cut out two more for the bow and a length to curve around the tip of bow .Sprayed them all .And waited for right frame of mind .... this afternoon .Took best part of two hours to fit those five pieces .So small ! Those figures are 1/72 .

Posted Image
Edited by fs2005, Apr 29 2017, 09:46 PM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Parkadge
Member Avatar

Very nice job John
Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Michael M
Member Avatar

Not bad at all, but there shouldn't be any railing across hawse pipes ( half pipes, feck me if I know how to call them in English :) )

fs2005
Member Avatar

Yeah I knew but couldn't face a potentially harder folding and gluing scenario.The Lidl magnifier light I got is really helpful to the point of being essential for this work .Even in mid afternoon I was forced to work at kitchen window ledge for light before getting out the magnifying lamp
Posted Image

Posted Image

35th-Scale
Member Avatar
Sean
Looks good John. Those PE rails are a curse but necessary for a good finish
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Barry Sp

Great job John.

fs2005
Member Avatar

Thanks lads
Posted Image

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

Sea base WIP

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bottom of ship drawn on wood and watercolour paper and cut out of latter .

Cocktail sticks broken to suitable length and superglued on wood base for waves

Watercolour paper stuck down with double sided tape

Then coated in a layer of superglue which along with baking soda is used to fill humps of waves and smooth out roughest wood grain.

Airbrushed white ,black and shades of grey for wave crests and troughs

Wet on wet ( medium thinned ) acrylic paint job

Acrylic Texture put in hull 'hole ' on base .Ship pressed down and 'ooze' shaped with brushes .

Still to do :

Acrylic Clear medium for deep gloss look

Just realised I'm calling this 95% finished and it's surround by masking tape !

Edited by fs2005, Jul 2 2017, 09:33 PM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Shipyards · Next Topic »
Add Reply