Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Alligator; KA-52 (Italeri 1/72)
Topic Started: Sep 6 2016, 10:31 PM (6,064 Views)
Manxman
Member Avatar

Well for this group build I have decided to build an alligator :)

Posted Image
Net reference material by Manxman, on Flickr

So first a little bit about the beast.

In the early 1980s, while the comparative tests of the V-80 (Ka-50 prototype) and the Mi-28 were still ongoing, the Kamov design team came up with a proposal to develop a dedicated helicopter to conduct battlefield reconnaissance, provide target designation, support and co-ordinate group attack helicopter operations. However, the economic hardships that hit the nation in the late 1980s hampered the development program of the new type. This prompted Kamov's Designer General to choose a modified version of Ka-50 on which to install the recce and target designation system. The modified "Hokum" required a second crew member to operate the optronics/radar reconnaissance suite. Kamov decided to use side-by-side seating arrangement, due to the verified improvements in co-operation between the crew members. This twin-seat version of the "Hokum" received a designation of Ka-52.

In comparison to the original Ka-50, it has a "softer" nose profile and a radar system with two antennas—mast-mounted for aerial targets and nose-mounted for ground targets. "Samshit" day-and-night TV/thermal sighting system in two spherical turrets (one over the cockpit and the second under the nose) are also present. The Ka-52 retains the side-mounted cannon of the original Ka-50. It features six wing-mounted hardpoints as opposed to four on the Ka-50. In order to keep the weight and performance on par with that of the Ka-50, some trade-offs were introduced to the design; the scale of the armour plating and the capacity of the cannon magazine/feed have been reduced. Despite the introductions, some flight parameters have deteriorated; rate of climb is 8 m/s (vs. 10 m/s), maximum positive load factor is 3.0 g. Most of the problems were solved by installing or remotorising with new VK-2500 engine. The Ka-52 is approved for day, night and adverse meteorological conditions.

Manufacturing of the first Ka-52 airframe began in mid-1996. Serial production was started in autumn 2008. The 696th Instructor and Research Helicopter Regiment, based at Torzhok Air Base, is operating eight helicopters, in varying degrees of capability and/or modification, for the purpose of ongoing research and development. In December 2010, four new, series-production Kamov Ka-52s were delivered to the Air Base of the 344th Centre for Combat Training and Aircrew Conversion.

The first phase of the official tests (ГСИ) was completed in December 2008, whereupon permission was given for the production of an experimental batch, for the continuation of phase 2 (ГСИ, including fire tests and the search for targets)
The Ka-52 has completed the state trials. The fourth operationally configured helicopter was taken on strength by the Russian Air Force on 10 February 2011. Under the State Defence Procurement Plan, Russian Armed Forces received 30 helicopters by 2012. A second batch of 36 helicopters was inducted to service in early 2012. Russia’s Air Force is to adopt 140 Ka-52s. Dmitry Petrov, general director of the holding company Russian Helicopters, stated that the manufacturer had signed a major contract with the Ministry of Defence. The Ka-52 is assembled in the helicopter factory at Arsenyev, Primorsky Krai.
Russia and Egypt signed a contract for delivery of 46 Ka-52 Alligator helicopters. Egyptian Ka-52s are to be equipped with the new OES-52 optoelectronic targeting system, allowing them to launch Vikhr and Ataka anti-tank guided missiles with laser target direction systems. They will also have President-Sairborne defence systems installed on them. Egypt intends to buy about 2000 Vikhr and Ataka ATGMs for the Ka-52 making it the first international customer for such missiles. Deliveries are planned to start in 2017

Model Kit

Posted Image

The model kit by Italeri is 1/72 scale and based on the original prototype numbered 061.

Posted Image

As this my first modern helo since starting back I will be building this OOTB.

On first glance at the sprues I have to say the kit looks very nice, good details and panel lines and just a little flash present.

Posted Image
KA-52 Alligator WiP by Manxman, on Flickr

The kit like most has a few different options for building, landing gear down or retracted, open or closed cockpit and of course different weapons configurations.

My plan is to build this landing gear down cockpit open, but that might change depending how I get on painting the cockpit. And that is of course where this and most aircraft builds start
Pete

On the bench - What isn't 😀

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dermot
Member Avatar

Good stuff Pete, look forward to following.

Dermot
Gallery of my Completed Builds

On the Bench

Posted Image

Barry
Member Avatar

Nice choice pete..going to be a lot of choppers in this group build me thinks!

Manxman
Member Avatar

You might be right on that Barry. Depending on how this goes I have a lovely ocean hawk I could add, but more tempted to add a falcon to the mix.
Pete

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Nice choice Pete, I did this myself a couple of months ago. It's a nice kit, and it didn't give me any problems (apart from the resin cockpit I used, but that's not the kit's fault!). Are you going to do the yellow panel lines?

J.
On the bench -
Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F2001

Completed builds -
Click here

Manxman
Member Avatar

That's good to know Jason and I'm sticking to OTB so hope no problems at all. But yes I had planned to do the panel lines / markings in yellow.
Pete

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Well, if you decide not to paint them, let me know, as I have plenty of yellow decals left over!

J.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Manxman
Member Avatar

Cheers Jason I'll keep that in mind, as I assume they an aftermarket set for this as mine didn't come with decals for the lines.
Pete

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

I'm afraid they're not an aftermarket set so much as just plain yellow line decals that you have to cut to fit. Yeah, Italeri were a little sneaky in not giving you those decals! :)

Have a look at my build thread - here - and you'll see what I mean. It's a slow process, but I think it was worth it!

J.
Edited by Jasonb, Sep 8 2016, 10:38 AM.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

35th-Scale
Member Avatar
Sean
Jasonb
Sep 8 2016, 10:37 AM
Have a look at my build thread - here -
The bar has been set pretty high for you Peter!

Lovely build Jason
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Barry
Member Avatar

Yes high standards indeed...a silver medal winner at the modelling Munster show ... And had a guy drooling over the brushed paintwork....thought they were decal Jason...didn't realise the yellow lines were painted on...top notch

Jasonb
Member Avatar

No, the yellow lines are decals Barry, but they're generic yellow line decals that had to be cut to size, as Italeri don't give you any decals for the yellow panel lines.

J.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Manxman
Member Avatar

Yeah way high bar there on that Jason. I'll plod along at my normal pace and just hope I come somewhere close to that. But I think I'll stick to painting as a few pictures I have of the prototype the lines to me don't seem overly strong but could be age ;)
Pete

Posted Image

BKirwan
Member Avatar

This is one cool looking a/c.
I dunno its like the Ruskies suddenly decided to dump their odd sense of geometry and design stuff that looks cool and to a degree un-russian!
Looking forward to this.

Have these been used in Syria yet?
Posted Image

Buck Rogers
Member Avatar

BKirwan
Sep 10 2016, 09:26 PM
This is one cool looking a/c.
I dunno its like the Ruskies suddenly decided to dump their odd sense of geometry and design stuff that looks cool and to a degree un-russian!
Looking forward to this.

Have these been used in Syria yet?
Apparently so:

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/defense/2016-04-05/russian-kamov-ka-52-alligator-sees-combat-debut-syria
Posted Image

Manxman
Member Avatar

Don't think it will compete with Jason's ;) but finally started to make some progress on this worth posting, what between other stuff in an outside the hobby.

So after 3 small sessions at the bench here is the cockpit tub so far.

Posted Image
KA-52 Alligator WiP by Manxman, on Flickr

Still plenty left to paint, tidy up etc but happyish so far. Thoughts, comments, tips as always gratefully received.
Pete

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Looking good Pete, I like the dry-brushing on the buttons beside the seats. I know I went mad with a Resin cockpit for mine, but there's decent detail in the kit one.

J.
Edited by Jasonb, Sep 16 2016, 09:20 AM.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Manxman
Member Avatar

Thanks Jason, and I don't think you went mad with the resin cockpit I think it was great addition to your amazing build.

I'll be honest and while you like the dry brushing, I have to say there isn't any yet :-"

I'm still working on the paint detail and won't be dry brushing etc until all that done. Probably another session or two on painting and touch up to go before the weathering phase begins. What you seeing is the metallic black base coat and by pure fluke of light and angle it giving that effect :)
Pete

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Ha! Well then Pete, you should make sure that you take all photos with that light and from that angle! :) What metallic black paint do you use?

J.
Edited by Jasonb, Sep 16 2016, 11:34 AM.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Manxman
Member Avatar

In this case Jason, Vallejo Air 71.073 Black Metallic
Pete

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Call of Nature [2016/2017] · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: