Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Dragon 1:700 HMS Daring +++ FINISHED +++
Topic Started: Nov 24 2016, 12:30 PM (7,997 Views)
Jasonb
Member Avatar

Hi there,

So, here's my entry for this GB, and the first ship I've ever done. Barry Spencer was kinda enough to give me this for free at the end of the Nationals in Tallaght (and another ship as well, which *might* make an appearance if I get this finished quickly and enjoy it!).

Here's a picture of the box and the runners:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I will be building it out of the box, though that does include some PE that comes with it. I reckon I'll be doing it full hull and using the little plastic stand that comes with it, and I don't think I'll be doing anything fancy like interesting weathering etc. And, all going well, this will also be my first attempt at using an Airbrush!

See you all on the 5th!

J.
Edited by Jasonb, Nov 24 2016, 12:31 PM.
On the bench -
Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F2001

Completed builds -
Click here
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

35th-Scale
Member Avatar
Sean
Lots of firsts there Jason. Will enjoy watching this
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Michael M
Member Avatar

Not much space there to play with the airbrush. If you don't want to try anything interesting, at least you'll have chance to play with washes.

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Well, I got 3 more sheets of PE for this, so it's quickly moving away from OOB. So Michael, you might as well give me some advice about weathering/washes etc. In for a penny etc.! One thing though, I don't currently own any Oils, so go easy on my pocket if nothing else... ;)

J.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Michael M
Member Avatar

Oils are the thing you need the most, but they're cheap. Colours you must have are: white, black, van dyke brown, burned siena, burned umbra, red, orange (these cover the rust), some blue some green... I guess 12 colour starter set is a good idea, just make sure you add all the browns mentioned. In 700 shading will be probably easier done with oils thn it would be with airbrush....

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Michael. Sure I might as well give it a go, and learn something new. I'll suss out some local Art places for a starter set, hopefully with those Browns in it. If not I'll get them elsewhere. How long do the Oils take to dry?

J.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Michael M
Member Avatar

You can try your local Easons, mine in Sligo has a big selection of oils them Windsor and sth ones, but i've seen people using them and not complaining, so why not?

Dermot
Member Avatar

Jasonb
Nov 28 2016, 01:00 PM
Thanks Michael. Sure I might as well give it a go, and learn something new. I'll suss out some local Art places for a starter set, hopefully with those Browns in it. If not I'll get them elsewhere. How long do the Oils take to dry?

J.
Jason, I know this link is to a Sci-Fi build but I think it's a really great example of using oil paints and weathering...

Scale Model Medic

Der

Gallery of my Completed Builds

On the Bench

Posted Image

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
Jason, when using White Spirit in them, matter of few hours, but that's what you want when working with them as a weathering medium.

If you mix them with some Humbrol enamels, they dry much, much quicker
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks lads, am looking forward to trying a few new things with this and see how it goes! At this stage there'll probably be more PE than plastic for a start! ;)

J.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Michael M
Member Avatar

Well that's good, ship in 1:700 scale, that's not built in at least 60% of PE bits is a waste of time hahaha ;)

Woolley
Member Avatar

When I use oils (and you can get starter sets for a couple of Euro in the likes of Dealz) I swear by leaving the blob of paint on a piece of kitchen towel for 20 mins to leach out some of the linseed oil and then mix in a couple of drops of Windsor & Newton Liquin.. this cuts drying time from days to hours, in my experience, so you have the leeway to muck about with the weathering while not having to wait until the sun goes supernova for it to become dry.
Mike

Crosses & Cockades

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Wooley! That Windsor and Newton Liquin?

J.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

35th-Scale
Member Avatar
Sean
That's interesting Woolley, that's one of the reasons I stopped using the wife's oil paints for weathering.....will try your approach
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Here's what's been added to the box, looking forward to Monday! :)

J.

Posted Image
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Woolley
Member Avatar

Jasonb
Nov 28 2016, 11:02 PM
Thanks Wooley! That Windsor and Newton Liquin?

J.
It is... great stuff altogether!
Mike

Crosses & Cockades

Jasonb
Member Avatar

So, a quick question with probably a long answer! From what I can see from the instructions, in *general* most of the horizontal surfaces are painted a different shade of grey to the vertical ones.

So, for those people who've built a ship before, what's the best way of doing this? Masking could be very messy, so do I try to take care of this during assembly, any leave the horizontal surfaces as clean as possible so that they can be painted, and then add the pre-painted vertical bits? I just don't really have the experience in planning the painting schedule of a ship build, and I'd rather not make it tough on myself! ;)

J.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Manxman
Member Avatar

You not alone Jason, I'm asking and wondering the same.
Pete

On the bench - What isn't 😀

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Yep, it's all new to me Pete!

Just started on the PE, and I have to say, the detail is excellent on this kit and some of the PE I'm wondering if there's any point using it, as the plastic looks great and isn't as fiddly. We'll see...

J.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

35th-Scale
Member Avatar
Sean
Michael is the expert but for what it's worth on my experience with 1 ship:

Do the main assembly leaving out all the little bits like guns, railings etc. Paint the decks the dark grey and then mask them. Then paint the hull and superstructure vertical surfaces. Pretty paint all the wee bits before adding them
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Ships \ Boats GB [2016/2017] · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: