Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
  • Pages:
7.5 cm PaK 40/3 auf Panzerkampfwagen 38(t) Ausf. H; Marder IIIH, Dragon 1:35
Topic Started: Nov 25 2016, 11:07 AM (3,372 Views)
FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
OK, I will bite the bullet, so...

Mind you, I am not sure if I'll get it done on time - nor I will push myself too hard to finish on time, as there are other priorities on my workbench, well, you know, table in the kitchen ;) But winter evenings are long, dark and cold lately and I quite enjoy sitting on the sofa beside fire in front of telly, having tray on my lap, box full of plastic beside me, side cutters in one hand and cup o'tea in the other. We'll see how far I'll able to go with such attitude :-"

Posted Image

Dragon kit of 2008 vintage, in 1:35 scale, will be build out of the box as the details and parts count is sufficient and there's a few PE parts included as well as turned aluminium barrel and some other bit thrown in the box. Only aftermarket addition will be set of Friulmodel metal tracks. Although Dragon added their Magic Tracks into the packaging, but after my bad experience with the same on my Bison I build....well, I thought, I better not take any chances and go for the tried solid and easy to work with item from Hungary.

There is confusion and many questions over the chassis used by Dragon in this re-boxing. It's a long story, so I'll cut it short, I'll use it as it is... Over all lovely little kit with lots of parts and sharp details, which should keep me happy for a while.

...to be continued, hopefully :wave:
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
...after 2 evenings, it looks like this:

Posted Image

Dragon did excellent job on the interior and full fighting compartment as well as engine details are provided.
I have decided to leave the engine out from two reasons, firstly I think, that opening the top hatches over the engine would completely destroy the overall shape of this gun and secondly - and most importantly - I don't feel like messing up with wires, stretched plastic sprue and all the other extra detailing needed to make it look 'real'.
I'll keep the engine parts though, hoping to use them in the future on Grille M.
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

That's excellent progress Filip, and quick too!

J.
On the bench -
Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F2001

Completed builds -
Click here

Manxman
Member Avatar

Wow Filip, that is quick and nice work but I have to wonder why I'm so tired as you'd think after sleeping non stop for two days I'd feel more rested :-"
Edited by Manxman, Nov 25 2016, 09:29 PM.
Pete

On the bench - What isn't 😀

Posted Image

Woolley
Member Avatar

That looks like a lovely little kit.. how much of that rather nice interior will be visible in the finished model?
Mike

Crosses & Cockades

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
Hehehe... close to nothing, that's why it'll be straight from the box without too much of messing around and without engine, that would completely kill it off.
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
Another evening with Midsomer Murders - yes, Brian :P - and another few bits done, I even glued both engine halves together, just, because I could:

Posted Image

I am going my own way and, contradictory to the instructions, gluing together as much as I can, in a hope, that it would make painting and final assembly, well, not less complicated, but cleaner. So, the engine turtle deck, fire wall, gearbox, breaks, gun cradle and the engine shaft is one sub-assembly, which, I am hoping should slide into position after paining.
Obviously, the bit above the gearbox is not attached yet.

Now to see what else will be going on the inside, glue it, clean it and get it ready for painting.

Oh and yes, that is my own addition at the rear of the gun cradle. A few bolts will be added later on that bit of plastic. Not sure, what went wrong there, whether it was my fault or Dragon lack of engineering in that part, just didn't like it as it was from the box - and that area will be seen, unlike most of the interior.
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
Well, last night wasn't as productive, as I was hoping. I've done some of the bits ready for paint, but ran into problems with ammunition containers inside the hull. They look nice in the kit, easy to fold PE frame onto which plastic shrouds meant to be glued. No problems there, but...they somehow don't fit where they supposed to be.
The instructions are very vague and not helpful at all in this one, unfortunately. I had all my reference books upstairs, in my son's bedroom and as he was asleep, well, I didn't fancy to go up and rooting through library, long story short, after few bends there and back again and there once more, the PE part fell apart. It's not a big deal, a bit of plastic strip will get it sorted, but disappointment nonetheless.
After one hour of trying to figure out, what Dragon meant and how to fit those into the hull, I gave up.

Early start this morning, bath time, quick run over with hair dryer and all parts should be dry and ready for some colour, hopefully, later today:

Posted Image
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

Barry
Member Avatar

I missed this....welcome to the group build filip and might progress so far too!

Woolley
Member Avatar

That Mercedes engine might be slightly underpowered for a couple of tons of steel, IMO :D
Mike

Crosses & Cockades

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
It's Argus :P
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

Woolley
Member Avatar

My bad... of course it is. Is that a Cl.II that you're building?
Mike

Crosses & Cockades

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
Hannover Cl.IIIa, old Eduard short run, cool looking piece of rag'n'plywood
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
Well, I hit a wall... I somehow didn't want to start painting until I am happy about position and number of ammo canisters within the vehicle. Somehow, placement of those in the instructions seemed a bit odd.
After quite a few hours and days of very hard thinking, rooting through my library and web for some sort of reference, I have decided, that none of the manufacturers, models and drawings present on the web and in the books have those canisters placed in the right position.
I presume it's because of the absence of these items in both preserved vehicles? Hard to tell, I was. even, unable to find any decent period photo of the interior, but, according to the tables, Marder IIIH carried 38 rounds on board. I have managed to squeeze 36, might try to push it up one more to 37, which I will blame on out-of-scale thickness of plastic parts. Still, it will look better and will be more accurate, in my opinion, than anything out there, but more about this one later. I still have to get them finished and painted.

What I have managed to do is to finish off rest of the interior, glued glacis and top armor plates on and realized, that there will be nothing much left to be seen :zip: Mind, you, there's tons of things missing from the interior, gas masks canisters, ammo boxes for the MG 37, tools for both MG 37 and 34, earphones boxes, brackets for MG 34, spare barrels for both MGs and so on... But what's inside will do:

Posted Image
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

Woolley
Member Avatar

That's some top-notch weathering on the interior. Looks suitably well-used n'abused.
Mike

Crosses & Cockades

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
Thank you, sir, I took it quickly and hastily, because most of it will be, pretty much invisible.

On the building front, nothing much to report, I have put main 7.5cm PaK 40 together and it's almost ready for paint, just bit of tidying to do, FriulModel individual links metal tracks are put together and painted. Still adding all those little bits and bobs on the chassis and upper shield, filling some of the joint lines to make them more cleaner looking. I am not bothered to take any photos, as it's too dark and one wouldn't be able to see too much of change anyway.

But what I have spent last week on was research. My obvious choice would be vehicle photographed on railway station of South-Moravian town of Znojmo. But the photo is highly unclear and blurry to make out too much:

Posted Image

So, choice number 2, lovely Marder left behind after fierce fighting in Hungaria, very early spring of 1945. I love all the add-ons, non-standard boxes and hard edged camouflage:

Posted Image

I have no idea to which unit this gun belonged to - and some sources claim that this photo was taken in southern Poland, presumably led by the 'Glatz' sign, nonetheless comparing landscape and crop just about to burst out from the soil, I think, it's closer to March than late April and it looks like plains of Hungary, rather than rolling hills of Southern Silesia near Klodzko...
One more point, if you look at the vehicle on the railway station and the one in Hungary, both have very similair style of number/cross position and style of numbers, large box on the rear basket, non standard placement of gun cleaning rods... makes me wonder if those could be from the same unit?
Open to suggestions on every point
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
I wasn't in the right mood over the Christmas 'break' so not too much of modelling done, nonetheless, sleepless night can have some benefits too...

I was cold and hungry, but it's moving the right direction:

Posted Image

...now into my 28th hour without sleep, if I am counting right and it's only 11AM :zip:
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

I think there's one of these in the film The English Patient in a Tobruk setting .( Along with a 'Tiger'(?) Moth and 20mm Flak single barrel ...Come to think of it there may even be Sherman's )
Edited by fs2005, Jan 8 2017, 12:24 PM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
Nothing much is being done to this little gun, just too busy to be in the mood of modelling lately... nonetheless some boxes are being scratch build, some tiny, unimportant details being added and a lot of head scratching trying to figure out some other details, eyes falling out from constantly looking at the only photo of the real thing I am trying to depict.

So...when I was looking at the camouflage pattern, one thing struck me, look at the shape of the marked field, shape and rugged edge totally different from the rest of the camo fields on the vehicle, I don't know, it could be in my head, but I don't believe in coincidence:

Posted Image
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

Definitely looks like Africa to me !
Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Call of Nature [2016/2017] · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: