Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Techmod decals: a fix!
Topic Started: Feb 15 2017, 02:55 PM (101 Views)
Woolley
Member Avatar

As has been lamented by myself and Joe M, Techmod's range of WWI lozenge decals, while nicely printed and inexpensive, remain incredibly delicate and brittle even after varnishing/Klear coats etc.

Happily I've found a product that seems to work really well in terms of making them a bit more hard-wearing and would you believe it, it's humble old Humbrol Decalfix. In my experience, the decals settle into gaps/indentations neatly anyway, so I hadn't thought to use a decal solution on them. However, in despair at having to re-do a wing in Sworl for my D.I, I brushed on some Decalfix and lo and behold the wing can be handled without chunks of decal coming off on your fingers for no apparent reason. Further experimentation with standard five-colour has had similar results.

So there you go. Hope this is of use!
Mike

Crosses & Cockades
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FiSe
Member Avatar
...too busy to rush
Congrats, you've just learned 2nd rule of working with decals: Always use decal setting solution!

The 1st rule is, indeed, always apply decals on gloss finish, but that should be well known to everyone, at this stage...
Filip . . . . Resident smart-arse redneck & the Munster Modeller

Posted Image

Woolley
Member Avatar

Always? I've tried Micro Sol with these and it did not go well in a "shrivelled up and disintegrated" sort of way. I should maybe have been clearer: that oft-maligned solution from Humbrol that everyone has sharing shelf space with the higher-end materials seems to do the trick.
Mike

Crosses & Cockades

FiSe
Member Avatar
...too busy to rush
Always.

Micro Sol is strong stuff... Never used it though, my favorite is Mr.Mark Setter/Softer combo from Gunze. Mr.Setter - a milky stuff - is helping to move, manipulate and settle the decal in place. It makes it slightly 'rubbery' so it's not tearing or breaking easily - I suppose, that's what the Humbrol Decalfix does as well.
Mr. Softer, literally irons the decal into the surface.
Filip . . . . Resident smart-arse redneck & the Munster Modeller

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Hints & Tips, Tools & Resources · Next Topic »
Add Reply