Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Resin Kits; Query on use of resin kits
Topic Started: May 7 2017, 10:24 PM (903 Views)
tomo

Hi Guys,

I have been building up my 1/72 fleet of Irish Aer Corps models - 12 at the moment.

I was down in Newbridge buying a Westland Lysander 1/72 and noticed that they have a number of resin kits for other IAC models. I have reasonable experience with plastic, but have never tried resin.

Any advice or comments would be welcome.

Regards to all.
B-) B-)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

fs2005
Member Avatar

Not an expert but I know you DONT breathe in the dust .Very unhealthy .I sanded hardened liquid resin once and obviously breathed in some of dust and it felt like having a bad chesty cough /asthma for about 6 months !Having said that with a minimum of precautions, patience ( lots of tidying up ,test fitting etc and superglue they might work out ok
Posted Image

Posted Image

35th-Scale
Member Avatar
Sean
I suggest using Superglue Gel, Loctight I think, as it allows 5 or 10 seconds to move bits into exact position before they stick. Ordinary Super Glue sticks instantly with resin
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Dermot
Member Avatar

Hi Tomo,

12 Air Corps models? Look forward to some pictures of those!

I don't know about resin builds but would definitely endorse John's comment about resin dust - NOT for inhaling and bad stuff.

Cheers,
Dermot
Gallery of my Completed Builds

On the Bench
1/72 Monogram F-105G Wild Weasel Vietnam GB

Parkadge
Member Avatar

Often resin parts come with inconvenient pour plugs attached so you will need a razor saw to cut these away and some fine grade sandpaper to clean up. To minimize the dust hazard continuously dip the resin parts in water- this way the dust will clump together and fall away when you dip the part in water. The same goes for sanding.
Don't be tempted to snap the resin parts away from their plug as resin is very brittle and may shatter
Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

tomo

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your info on resin kits - might stay with the plastic for a while.

I'm not sure how to upload photos! If you can let me know I will do my best.

At the moment I have a Martinside Buzzer, an Avro, Gladiator, Anson, Hudson, Hurricane, Spitfire, Vampire,and Fuega done - but the bi-planes need stays.,

Lysander and Alouette in stash.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Tomo :>

Jasonb
Member Avatar

This thread here might help you with posting pics Tomo, let us know if you can't get it working...
On the bench -
Italeri 1:72 ACH-47 Chinook Gunship

Completed builds -
Click here

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Hints & Tips, Tools & Resources · Next Topic »
Add Reply