Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Issues with the Forum and Photobucket
Topic Started: Jun 29 2017, 08:41 AM (3,652 Views)
Jasonb
Member Avatar

Hi everyone,

As I'm sure you've noticed, there are now a lot of large square images on the Forum saying something along the lines of

3rd Party Hosting has been temporarily disabled

This seems to be because Photobucket changed their Terms and Conditions a few days ago, and '3rd Party Hosting' is no longer free on the site. We have some of the icons/images for the Forum saved on Photobucket, so those icons/images (like the 'New Topic' button etc.) are now not being displayed. This issue isn't only affecting us, it's affecting a lot of Photobucket Users, and there's a chance they might row back this change.

However, I can't just wait to see if that will happen, so I'm seeing if I can implement a workaround. I'll update here when I get somewhere.

Thanks...
On the bench -
Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F2001

Completed builds -
Click here
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Just a quick update...

My workaround seems to be working, but it's slow as I have to do it icon by icon. So slowly but surely you should see less and less of those '3rd Party Hosting' images on the Forum, and the Forum should get more and more usable again.

Thanks for your patience...
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Jasonb
Member Avatar

And another update...

Looks like all the important icons are now working, and the Forum is basically usable again. I still need to look at some other images (GB Ribbons etc.) and I'll get them done today, but at least we're back in action...
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Barry
Member Avatar

Thanks for the great work Jason!

35th-Scale
Member Avatar
Sean
Well done & Thank You Jason!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Maurice

Great work Jason, thank you

Maurice
Most important model--the one I have yet to build

Posted Image

Joseph M

Much Appreciated Jason,
Cheers
Joe M
On the bench in order of nearest to completion;
A Model 1/72 Spad A.2 Finished 24/4/18
A Z Models 1/72 Morane "WR". (Schneider race entry from 1914).
K P Models 1/72 Avia BH-3
Mark 1 Models 1/144 Gloster Gladiator
SRAM Models 1/144 SIA 7-B (Resin)
Valom Models 1144 A pair of Sopwith Pups
MSD Models 1/72 Vickers Vimy 66 Commercial
Glencoe Models 1/81 Curtiss Condor
Revell 1/72 Fokker D.VII conversion to a two seater
Curtiss Condor (added 24/4/18) 1/81
Ansaldo S.V.A 9 (added 24/4/18)

Posted Image

Posted Image

des byrne
Member Avatar
des Byrne
Good man Jason

35th-Scale
Member Avatar
Sean
Photobucket have now stopped my account. They are looking for $400 a year which needless to say won't be paid. I just need to find a new hosting site but it's going to play havoc with old posts
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Hi again everyone...

As Sean has said, it looks like Photobucket are slowly moving through all their free accounts and stopping people from linking to their photos. This means that slowly but surely, anyone who uses free Photobucket will see their pictures on this forum (and any other sites) disappear and be replaced by the annoying '3rd Party Hosting' warning.

I should stress that this is not an issue with this Forum, it's Photobucket changing what they offer free accounts, and it's affecting millions of users across thousands of Fora.

If you see that your own pictures are no longer displaying you have the following options:

1. Wait to see if Photobucket change their mind. I'd be tempted to assume this won't happen, but considering how many users they're annoying, you never know.
2. Pay Photobucket for their 'P500' account which gives you free and unlimited 3rd party hosting. As Sean says, this costs something like $400 a year.
3. Move your pictures to another hosting site, and then edit your threads to stop looking at Photobucket and to look at the new locations instead. This is clearly a lot of work, especially if you have a lot of pictures. There are a lot of other sites out there, including Flickr etc. and I've also heard good things about village.photos too.

For what's it's worth, I'm personally going to try village.photos but I'm only going to move the photos from my most recent thread from Photobucket to village.photos and then update that thread. All my other, older, threads, will stay as they are for the moment. If Photobucket change their mind in the future, I'm sorted. If they don't, I may eventually get the time to go back and update all my old threads.

Sorry I can't offer much more help, but as I said, this is a Photobucket Issue, not an issue with this Forum. The Mods here will be happy to help guide people if they get confused when trying to edit their threads to point their photos to a new location.

Thanks...
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Prenton
Member Avatar

Many thanks for that, Jason. Like Sean, I got the photobucket message yesterday evening, and all my photos (of which there are literally hundreds, perhaps thousands, including all from the various events - Telford, D1, D2, D3, D4 and D5, etc., and all efforts on group builds over the years) have been replaced by that message. :(

I do hope that there is a huge backlash on photobucket, and they will relent. I am certainly not paying $300 dollars for the privilege... :O

I will have a look at flickr and village photos, and will do as you suggest, updating my most recent posts and see what happens.

Many thanks for the gb ribbons and the D6 ribbon - I have managed to update my signature as a result. :>

Philip
Edited by Prenton, Jun 30 2017, 10:21 AM.
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Marklo
Member Avatar

Same here. Downloading the app seems to (at least temporarily) fix the issue. The give you 2GB of free storage when you log on from your phone.
Edited by Marklo, Jun 30 2017, 10:53 AM.
On the Bench:-
Sopwith Pup scratchbuild 1:48
ARC-170 1/8something scale
Mk IV Heavy Tank 1:72

Finished Builds:
A7V Scratchbuild /Saint Chamond Scratchbuild
Airfix ME 109 /HE51 Floatplane/Mig 21/Scratchbuilt 1913 Depredussin racer

Jasonb
Member Avatar

I haven't tried the App Marklo, so I don't know if that would work for me or not.

Remember this is not a storage issue, it's not about people using more than 2GB of storage. It's Photobucket stopping people linking to their photos from other sites. Their policy seems to be that from now on, if you want to link to your photos, you need to pay for a particular account type with them.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Marklo
Member Avatar

Quote:

Remember this is not a storage issue

No it actually feels like photobucket have just tried to mug me :)

I think using the app resets the account details so the hosting thing goes away. I don't know how long it's going to work for . I'd agree overall the whole thing is a bit shabby an I for one will be looking for another image hosting site.
On the Bench:-
Sopwith Pup scratchbuild 1:48
ARC-170 1/8something scale
Mk IV Heavy Tank 1:72

Finished Builds:
A7V Scratchbuild /Saint Chamond Scratchbuild
Airfix ME 109 /HE51 Floatplane/Mig 21/Scratchbuilt 1913 Depredussin racer

Merlin

I too have been hit by the Photobucket ransom attempt on this and another forum. I'm very reluctant to pay the excessive fee demanded and would welcome any suggestions for alternative hosting sites. However, if I change hosting sites, I suspect that all of my postings over the last five years or so may be lost forever.

Gerry

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Flikr and village.photos are the two I've heard of Gerry, with Flikr being around for years and I think village.photos are newer. village.photos looks quite simple and basic but so far I'm happy with it, and it's fast and free. Of course, we never know if anything will stay free online!

It's important to remember that you haven't lost any photos, they're all still on Photobucket and you can still access them and download them if you want by logging on to Photobucket (though the slow speeds on Photobucket's site don't make this a nice experience). 'All' that's been lost is that the links on the Forum pointing back to Photobucket no longer work.

So, for example, if you want to restore your Lancaster build thread here to its full glory, you'd need to do these steps:

1. Pick another Photo hosting site and sign up for it.
2. Download all your Lancaster pics from Photobucket (or, if you still have them on your PC as well, and hopefully you do, this step can be skipped).
3. Upload them to the new Photo hosting site.
4. The hard part... Go through your thread here on the Forum, editing each post one by one, and replacing the link to Photobucket for each photo with the new link to the new Hosting site for the same photo, and then saving the edits to each post. One by one you will restore your thread so that it has all your photos.

It's how suddenly Photobucket has done this, with barely any warning (their site just says 'New Terms and Conditions here', and they know no-one ever reads them because in general they don't have important changes in them), and then asking for lots of money, that has really annoyed people. There must be thousands of Fora on the Internet that suddenly have huge gaps in their threads because of this. And even if someone spends the time to move all their photos onto a new hosting site, who really has the time to go back through all their historical threads to update the picture links? If Photobucket don't reverse this, I think a lot of threads on a lot of Fora will stay messed up forever.

I'm lucky in that I only have one active thread at the moment, for a GB on Britmodeller, and that only has 9 photos so far as I'm early in the build, so it only took a little while to update that. Your Lancaster build thread Gerry will be a few hours work easily, with the amount of photos in it! And they're just active threads, never mind the older ones.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Prenton
Member Avatar

Very helpful explanation, Jason.

Many thanks, :>

Philip
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

35th-Scale
Member Avatar
Sean
I'm going to look for another hosting site but will leave all existing photos for the moment. I suspect PB will roll back on this before long as they are losing customers hand over fist.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ronan71
Member Avatar

I struggle to think of a reason to use a service like photobucket apart from hosting photos for 3rd party hosting! I seem to be alright for the moment but I'm on the basic $20 a year plan which is paid in January. I suspect next Jan I'll be told to switch plans, so in the meantime I've cancelled the recurring payment and I'll start migrating to a different service. What a crazy idea, for a good service (which in my case it has been) I'd happily pay a bit more, but not $379 more! Madness, I hope they crash and burn from this

Manxman
Member Avatar

I use Flickr and that free and hassle free to with their own app as well as website and so far no issue storing photos or hosting them on to forums. Plus I can't remember exactly but the size of storage allowance compared to photbucket was massive.
Pete

On the bench - What isn't 😀

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Announcements & News · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: