Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Adhesives - Which are best, What do you use.; What it says on the tin :)
Topic Started: Jul 21 2017, 08:40 AM (1,052 Views)
Marklo
Member Avatar

As said on other threads I'm back modeling after a long break and I'm trying to get some of the products I used to use back onto my work bench. Currently I'm using revel contacta (blue bottle and little metal spout) and Loctite precision (there is a max precision which I must look out for) However I used to use a brush on liquid cement (not sure what brand) and superglue that came in a little bottle with a small plastic tube for dispensing, both of which I seem to remember as being better :)

So the question is which are the best/favorite Adhesives that people use for their modelling?
Edited by Marklo, Jul 21 2017, 08:41 AM.
On the Bench:-
Sopwith Pup scratchbuild 1:48
1:48 Albatross DI

Finished Builds:
A7V Scratchbuild /Saint Chamond Scratchbuild/Mk IV Heavy Tank
Airfix ME 109/HE51 Floatplane/Mig 21/Scratchbuilt 1913 Depredussin racer/ARC-170/BE2c Nightfighter/Airfix 1:72 Fokker EIII
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Prenton
Member Avatar

Hi Marklo

I use the Revell Contacta regularly, so it is my go to for "traditional" plastic glue. I use it when I want a little bit of "wriggle room" in attaching things together.

However, for other situations, and particularly when any glue marks might be obvious (eg putting the two sides of a fuselage together), I use Tamiya Extra Thin, which has a nifty little brush and works by capillary action. There are two types - the normal one, which dries in about 5-6 seconds, and an instant version that - as the name suggests - dries instantly. Both can be got from Marks (in Dublin, Rathcoole or Cork) or the Hobby Den (in Kildare town).

As for superglue...well, for instant superglue, I simply use the cheapest option - those little 3g tubes in packs of 2 that you can get from certain "budget" type shops. They work for me. They are really instant (and glue fingers etc as well, which is why I also have a spray bottle of debonder close to hand (the one that hasn't been glued!)). For slower settting superglues, I use the loctite thick gel. (I have tried other brands, including brands designed for modellers (which are more expensive), but I see little difference.)

For canopes and other transparencies, I use Formula 560, which is a type of PVA glue designed specifically for modellers. I find it a bit thinner, and therefore better flowing, than household PVA. Both types dry clear, and fill small gaps. I have a large bottle of Formula 560, which I got a couple of years ago, in a UK model shop or in Telford (can't remember!), and therefore cannot tell you how much it costs or where to get it now. You could check with Graham or Simon in Marks and see if they have it.

I know that there are lots of other glues out there, but these are what I use.

Hope this is of help.

Philip
Edited by Prenton, Jul 21 2017, 09:23 AM.
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Parkadge
Member Avatar

I use Tamiya & Tamiya extra thin and Mr Hobby's Mr cement as well as revell contacta depending on the surfaces to be glued.

For super glue I've been using cheap stuff from Dealz which does the job

Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

Posted Image

cyclonus

tamiya and tamiya thin,humbrol and loctite super glue for me.

Murfv
Member Avatar
Abuser Of Plastic
Depending on use I would use all of the above plus EMA plastic weld and Slaters MEK-PAK liquid glue.
Bargain shop superglue(8x 3g tubes for €1.50 :> )
Gator Grip is my go to PVA type and I have been known to use the legendary Johnson Klear for fixing PE in place.

HTH
Vincent
It's my hobby and I will enjoy it my way!

Posted Image

Marklo
Member Avatar

Thanks for the input. I've ordered some Tamiya Thin (mostly based on how good Tamiya Tape is, I have used Mek pak in the past but afair it had a very strong chemical smell which I want to avoid) to try it out as on balance I'm happy with the Loctite and the Contacta, there are just those few applications where a good liquid cement would be really useful.
Edited by Marklo, Jul 27 2017, 10:00 AM.
On the Bench:-
Sopwith Pup scratchbuild 1:48
1:48 Albatross DI

Finished Builds:
A7V Scratchbuild /Saint Chamond Scratchbuild/Mk IV Heavy Tank
Airfix ME 109/HE51 Floatplane/Mig 21/Scratchbuilt 1913 Depredussin racer/ARC-170/BE2c Nightfighter/Airfix 1:72 Fokker EIII

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Hints & Tips, Tools & Resources · Next Topic »
Add Reply