Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Revell 1:24 Porsche 962C
Topic Started: Aug 27 2017, 08:33 PM (3,157 Views)
Jasonb
Member Avatar

Hi all...

This will be my entry to this GB, very graciously donated to me by Barry:

Posted Image

I was tempted to do a Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F1 Car I have, but that's a lot more complicated, so I decided to go with this, as in theory it should be easier (white paint job notwithstanding). It doesn't have an engine for a start!

Here's what the runners look like:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here are the decals that come with the kit, and the extra decals I bought to deal with an obvious issue:

Posted Image

My current plan is to start this as soon after the start date as I can, and see how much I can get done in a month. Then it's going to go on the back burner as there's a 4 month long GB over on BM that I want to enter, and then I'll be back to this one, taking advantage of this one lasting 6 months! Hopefully I'll end up with both kits done after the 6 months!

More pics once I start work on it in a week or so...
On the bench -
Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F2001

Completed builds -
Click here
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

fs2005
Member Avatar

Big enough by the looks of it . Who would have thought in days of Rothmans and John Player Gold sponsorship the fags would end up locked out of view in shops and their users forced outdoors ?!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Yep, a lot of change in not many years! It's 20cm long, not too bad...
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Parkadge
Member Avatar

Interesting choice Jason. Looking forward to it

Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Pat. Not so much choice as necessity! I only have two cars, and the Ferrari F1 is a far more complicated build, especially with my plans for it, so I thought I'd go for the one that should be a lot easier, hopefully! :)
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Jasonb
Member Avatar

No pics yet, but I got the plastic primed today, white primer for the body work and the usual grey for the rest. In the past I've found Halford's White Primer to be a little grainer and rougher than their Grey Primer, so I decided to try their White Plastic Primer instead (in the smaller can) and it looks like it's gone on smoother.

Won't get near this now for a few days, will hopefully start on the assembly by the end of the week...
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Jasonb
Member Avatar

I got a little bit done...

Firstly, the body masked up so I can spray the interior satin black without getting the exterior:

Posted Image

And then I sprayed the interior, and lots of other black parts too:

Posted Image

Unfortunately I actually ran out of Black Satin paint, so I need to get some more and do a final coat.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Parkadge
Member Avatar

Nice progress Jason. Pity about running out of paint :( just when you're in the flow
Edited by Parkadge, Sep 9 2017, 07:40 PM.
Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

Posted Image

Manxman
Member Avatar

A good start there Jason, looking forward to seeing this come together.
Pete

On the bench - What isn't 😀

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks lads... Yeah, it was a pain Pat, but probably not a bad thing as it was late and I was tired, and that way disaster lies!

Anyhow, I won't put up another picture of bits of plastic painted black, but suffice to say I got some Tamyia Semi Gloss black yesterday in Mark's and got the final coat of black sprayed on all the bits and pieces today. I decided to spoil myself and open up my spare, never used, airbrush. Some of you may remember that when I got the compressor/brush set, I had some issues with compressors so I got a couple of replacements sent to me, including replacement airbrushes. They're all the cheap Chinese sets, but after nearly a year I thought I'd open up one of the spares, so it was nice to have an airbrush session with a brand new brush and some well spraying Tamiya paint.

Anyhow, next up is some assembly I think, the wheels and the 'cockpit'. This is a 'kerbside' kit, which I think basically means it doesn't have an engine, so I think the build itself should be fairly quick. I don't have the white rattle can for the body yet, so that might have to wait a little while, and I'll push on with other areas of the build.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Bit of an update. Have the cabin done, here's how it looks:

Posted Image

The decals are still drying. I tried to put some Tamiya Tape under the decals, so they wouldn't confirm to the bumps in the seats, as obviously belts wouldn't do that. It kinda worked, and to be honest, it probably won't be seen too well anyhow!

I've also got the steering wheel done:

Posted Image

and the Dashboard:

Posted Image

Since taking the photos I've noticed the speedometer decal is peeling a little while drying, so I've fixed that, though once again it probably won't be seen, just like any other 'cockpit'! :)

Next up are the wheels!
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Manxman
Member Avatar

Great progress, lovely clean detail and build so far.
Pete

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Pete!

Little bit more done. The decals are drying, and apart from a white wheel cover (which will probably block the brake discs anyhow) the wheels are done...

Posted Image

I've also done the first sanding of the shell of the car to remove the seam lines, and I'll be looking at other small parts (lights, exhausts etc.) next...
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Manxman
Member Avatar

Jason, not sure if you've added the white wheel covers yet but if it was me I'd just gloss up the black alloys and leave the covers off.
Pete

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

I had thought about that Pete, and the covers aren't done as I don't have the Tamiya Rattle Can White yet. But unfortunately nearly every pic I can find of this car shows it with the wheel covers on, so if I want to be somewhat realistic they need to stay on...
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Manxman
Member Avatar

That's interesting Jason, as had a quick scan of the net after seeing your comment, and I've found a few different real versions of this car. yeah all model photos show it with the white rims. However, some real photos show it also with just the black style rims you got or under the Rothmans banner it actually ran silver rims with gold spoke alloys but they are far different from the ones you have got.

I just never liked those wheel covers on the cars and they thankfully were a short lived fad.

But which ever way you go, the model is shaping up very nicely.
Pete

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Pete... If I can find a picture of the car at Monza in '86 without wheel covers I'll go for it. The Drivers Names decals that come with the kit are the two Drivers from Monza '86.

I have to agree, the covers look bad alright, and cover a nice looking wheel! But ah well! :)
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Joseph M

Coming on Nicely Jason.
Cheers
Joe M
On the bench in order of nearest to completion;
A Model 1/72 Spad A.2 Finished 24/4/18
A Z Models 1/72 Morane "WR". (Schneider race entry from 1914).
K P Models 1/72 Avia BH-3
Mark 1 Models 1/144 Gloster Gladiator Finished 1/7/8
SRAM Models 1/144 SIA 7-B (Resin)
Valom Models 1144 A pair of Sopwith Pups
MSD Models 1/72 Vickers Vimy 66 Commercial
Revell 1/72 Fokker D.VII conversion to a two seater
Curtiss Condor (added 24/4/18) 1/81
Ansaldo S.V.A 9 (added 24/4/18)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Joe, but I have to say, I'm making a right mess of the build so far, I'm really not making it easy for myself. And there's only so much blame I can put on not being used to building cars!

For example, I masked every hole in the body of the card from the outside so I could spray the inside black (as some of the inside will be visible through said holes). I then masked the *inside* of every hole, so I'll be able to spray the outside white without getting the inside. And *then* I realised that the 'shelf' on the inside of the windscreen should be black, as should the inside of the headlight housing, so I had to mask all around them on the outside and spray them black (and I still managed to get overspray):

Posted Image

And now I'll have to mask those black sections before getting back to the white primer. I definitely added a few extra steps to that process!

And then with the windscreen and side windows, I've had a lot of issues because I decided to try Alclad Aqua Gloss to dip them in, but left the windscreen horizontal while drying, and there wasn't enough of a slope and the Aqua Gloss pooled a bit. It took quite a while to get that Aqua Gloss off and some micro-meshing etc. before I was ready to continue. Then I masked the outside of them, and then realised that with cars (unlike aircraft) you paint the inside of the glass, so then I had to mask the inside too. Here's how they look now, they need a few touch-ups, and there's a worrying crack starting on the top right of the windscreen, but they're not too bad:

Posted Image

Finally, here's a quick pic showing just how much masking there is inside the body, and how many holes there are! :)

Posted Image

Next step is masking the black parts I sprayed this evening (behind the windscreen and the headlight housing) and then a bit of sanding on the body before putting a coat of white primer on it. After that there's not a lot I can do until I get some Tamiya Rattlecan White to start painting the body. I've most of the rest of the sub-assemblies done (wheels, dashboard, lights etc.) though I do need to assemble the rear wing as well.

It suits me not having the Tamiya paint yet, as I'm going to put this build on hold next weekend and start on a Su-34 Fullback for a GB on BM. Their GBs are only 3 months long, so I need to dedicate my time to getting that build done, and I can then come back to this, as I have until the start of March to finish it! :)

On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

ReccebyStealth
Member Avatar

Great work Jason, stick with it!
Glen

On the bench:
1/35 Revell Dingo GE A3.3 PatSi (mine protected APC)
1/16 Trumpeter T-72B1 with Kontakt ERA
1/35 AML-30 prototype
1/35 Djibouti BTR-60 with AML-90 turret
1/72 S-Models BMD w/scratch slat armour.
And about 100 other part built kits... ;)
Posted Image

"The sergeant is the Army." Dwight D. Eisenhower

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Cars [2017-2018] · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: