Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Revell 1:24 Porsche 962C
Topic Started: Aug 27 2017, 08:33 PM (2,462 Views)
Barry
Member Avatar

It's looking great Jason.. your doing a much better job on it than I would have!

I'd day 5amiya make more money on masking tape than paint!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Manxman
Member Avatar

Jason, you might think you making a hash of it but we can't see it from the pictures, looking good to me.
Pete

On the bench - What isn't 😀

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks lads...

Well, this is now going on the back burner for a while. I’ll have the white paint for it next week, but I’m starting a GB on Britmodeller that only lasts 3 months, so I’m gonna get that done and then come back to this!
On the bench -
Italeri 1:72 ACH-47 Chinook Gunship

Completed builds -
Click here

fs2005
Member Avatar

Steering wheel looks cool !
Posted Image

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Hi everyone,

Well, after finishing a Su-34 Fullback for a GB on Britmodeller, I'm back to this one. Which just shows the advantage of a 6 month GB!

I've done a bit of work on this over the last few days, building up a few coats of Tamiya Pure White from a rattlecan. As usual, Tamiya rattlecans are excellent, but dropping the model after spraying it (twice!) really didn't help with the finish I was getting, and it seemed like every time I sprayed a hair appeared someone on the model. Anyhow, it's decent enough now, but unfortunately I don't have a picture of the white finish.

That's because I've spent the last hour or so masking the car to paint the blue on it. I ran out of time to actually get the painting done, but here it is all masked and ready to go:

Posted Image

I'm not sure when I'll get the blue painted, but once it's done, and I'm happy with it, then it's on to the gloss coat and then all the decals. I'm spraying Aqua Gloss for the first time, so hopefully it'll go well.
Edited by Jasonb, Dec 30 2017, 12:19 AM.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Dermot
Member Avatar

Good progress Jason and coming along nicely!
Look forward to seeing the blue on it.

I share your pain on the white - trying to lay down multiple coats on the Coastguard Albatross :blink:

Cheers,
Dermot
Gallery of my Completed Builds

On the Bench
1/72 Monogram F-105G Wild Weasel Vietnam GB

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Dermot, your wish is my command:

Posted Image

Still have to unmask it all, but I'm happy enough with how the blue went down, it's Revell Night Blue. I'll hopefully get to unmask it tomorrow sometime...
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Jasonb
Member Avatar

And here it is with most of the tape removed (I've left on the tape that will stop the gloss coat getting inside the wheel wells etc.)...

Posted Image

Posted Image

The pics are a bit dark, sorry, it's hard to get a good pic of the blue and the white. I'm pretty happy with it, some touch-ups needed but nothing major, especially as a long thing decal will cover most of the demarcation line between the blue and white. Once those touch-ups are done I'll try airbrushing the Aqua Gloss, but that'll be next year! ;)

Edited by Jasonb, Dec 31 2017, 01:45 PM.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Have barely got near this, as our house has been sick for the best part of the last three weeks, so even when I had some time I just didn't have the energy. We're all still sick, but I got an hour tonight to do a little, and the decals have started:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I might get more done this weekend, I'll see how we're all feeling...
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Joseph M

Nice one Jason,
Starting to look the business.
Cheers
Joe M
On the bench in order of nearest to completion;
A Model 1/72 Spad A.2 Finished 24/4/18
A Z Models 1/72 Morane "WR". (Schneider race entry from 1914).
K P Models 1/72 Avia BH-3
Mark 1 Models 1/144 Gloster Gladiator
SRAM Models 1/144 SIA 7-B (Resin)
Valom Models 1144 A pair of Sopwith Pups
MSD Models 1/72 Vickers Vimy 66 Commercial
Glencoe Models 1/81 Curtiss Condor
Revell 1/72 Fokker D.VII conversion to a two seater
Curtiss Condor (added 24/4/18) 1/81
Ansaldo S.V.A 9 (added 24/4/18)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dermot
Member Avatar

Really coming alive with those decals Jason...excellent stuff. :>

Dermot

On the Bench

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Joe and Dermot...

Got a few more done this evening. They're going on ok, there's a slight difference in the blue of the 'Rothmans' compared to the blue with the Kit Decals, but it's not too bad. I'm hoping a LOT of MicroSol will help with the Red/Gold lines, the first of four of them has been applied to the front right edge, they've a lot of curves to try to follow.

Not sure when I'll get the last decals done (basically the other Red/Gold lines) and then another Gloss coat will follow that...

Posted Image
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Manxman
Member Avatar

Great job Jason, nearly at the finish line.
Pete

On the bench - What isn't 😀

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Pete... Still a while to go yet, once the Decals and Gloss Coat is done, there are lots of bits to stick on here and there, and hope it all comes together ok! :)
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Parkadge
Member Avatar

This is great progress Jason. I don't know if I'd be able for all those decals😓
Edited by Parkadge, Jan 15 2018, 06:31 PM.
Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Pat, they aren't that many really, and only the Red/Gold stripes were awkward.

Bit of an update on this. I got the decals finished, and went to spray the model with a couple more coats of Aqua Gloss to seal them in, and add a final shine to the kit. Unfortunately my lack of experience with Aqua Gloss struck again, and now the Windscreen/Windows are slightly opaque! I've no idea why, and I know people who get excellent results with Aqua Gloss, so it's clearly something I'm doing.

Anyhow, that has literally taken the shine off the build for me. I'm working on trying to clean them up, hot soapy water didn't do it, and neither did Klear, so I'm hoping some Ammonia-based Window Cleaner might clear it all up for me, if I can find some today. I have to be careful applying it, as there are decals on the windscreen too. But I'll give it a go with cotton buds and see how it looks. It's annoying, as a car build is meant to be as glossy and smooth as possible, and at this stage you can barely see inside to see the seat!

Apart from that, the build is nearly finished, just lots of little bits to stick on, and some indicators/brake lights to paint. If I can get the windows fixed, I should have this finished in a few hours.

On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Dermot
Member Avatar

I'm sure you can rescue the windows J.....it's a great build and the decals are excellent.

Dermot

On the Bench

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Dermot... In the end I got out the Micromesh Cloths and attacked the windows. They’re not great, but definitely better than they were. Pics to follow...
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Well, I'm calling this one done. It looks the part, but a few different issues (mainly due to my lack of experience with Aqua Gloss) have meant that this isn't quite as nice a finish as I would have liked. That said, it still looks like a Rothmans's Porsche, and that was the point! It's back to Klear for me from now on... :)

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement, and thanks Pat for hosting the GB! And finally thanks to Barry for the donation of the kit, much appreciated! :)

Here are some pics, I'll put a couple of them up in the Gallery as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

providerjack

Great job Jason, love it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Cars [2017-2018] · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: