Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
  • Pages:
JGSDF Light Armoured Vehicle (LAV); Tamiya 1/35
Topic Started: Sep 9 2017, 08:46 PM (1,205 Views)
Manxman
Member Avatar

My contribution to the car group build will be this little armoured car from Tamiya, the Japan Ground Self Defense Force Light Armoured Vehicle.

Posted Image
JGSDF LAV Box by Manxman, on Flickr

A lovely kit by Tamiya, great detail even on this small size vehicle including a die cast chassis.

Here are the sprues

Posted Image
JGSDF LAV sprues by Manxman, on Flickr

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was hoping this was going to be a simple quick project but I guessed wrong. The colour call out on the instructions is detailed, example the axle and drive shafts are two shades of black and this is then surrounded by the chassis frame which is the olive drab. No way I can mask these off for airbrushing nor the time to get that out anyway.

So going to revert for most of this build to painting by hairy brush, as such kit primed on the sprues.

Posted Image
JGSDF LAV Primed Sprues by Manxman, on Flickr

Build and paint will commence next week.

Thanks for views as always.
Pete

On the bench - What isn't πŸ˜€

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Parkadge
Member Avatar

Quote:

I was hoping this was going to be a simple quick project but I guessed wrong. The colour call out on the instructions is detailed, example the axle and drive shafts are two shades of black and this is then surrounded by the chassis frame which is the olive drab

Hmmm go ahead and use one shade of black Pete. I won't tell anyone :>

Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Manxman
Member Avatar

I appreciate that Pat but sadly I can't unsee the instructions myself. While I might not add any or much AM to my build. I keep being told by someone I have OCD especially when it comes to painting them and bringing out detail that way. It no wonder I've only finished 1 model this year well that and barely any time lol.

So no this could take me the 6 months but I will get it done and fully painted as it should be :)
Pete

Posted Image

ReccebyStealth
Member Avatar

Have this is 48th :)
Glen

On the bench:
1/35 AML-30 prototype
1/35 Djibouti BTR-60 with AML-90 turret
1/72 S-Models BMD w/scratch slat armour.
And about 100 other part built kits... ;)

"The sergeant is the Army." Dwight D. Eisenhower

35th-Scale
Member Avatar
Sean
Manxman
Sep 10 2017, 08:59 AM
I keep being told by someone I have OCD especially when it comes to painting them and bringing out detail that way.
:-"
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Manxman
Member Avatar

I thought this was tiny in 1/35 must be wee small in 1/48 Glenn.

Yes glad to see you know who you are Sean, but yeah it true :)
Pete

Posted Image

Manxman
Member Avatar

Well work has commenced, and the difference in this build to some of the more recent with single colour chassis apart from weathering is huge.

A lot of little parts assembled but nothing together in anything sizable so far.

Posted Image
JGSDF LAV WiP by Manxman, on Flickr

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A lovely kit and the detail is what you expect from Tamiya, just look at the shocks and springs or axles as examples above so crisp and precise in detail, with only a little bit of flash to be cleaned up. (although modern photography does show you bits you missed like on the driver) Oh well a bit more clean up and then this lot can get painted.
Pete

Posted Image

Manxman
Member Avatar

Well it might not look like much, but that is 3 nights graft and yes 2 very slightly different blacks on the axles not that you can tell in the photo as yeah most of it all hidden by the chassis. All by hairy stick.

Posted Image

Actually there are other bits done too, like the centre console and seats etc, just forgot to take pictures of them.

Thanks for following as always feel free to comment.
Pete

Posted Image

Manxman
Member Avatar

Well here are all those little extras mentioned, added and tidied up to a degree.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Pete

Posted Image

Manxman
Member Avatar

Slow progress after being ill last week but it is progressing

Inside has a few more small bits of detailing required on the dashboard, then it can get a varnish, decals, stowage and of course driver, before sealing up.

Posted Image

Driver is also under progress, and trying to replicate the JGSDF camo which is four tone. Base colour and second colour applied in the pictures with the green and black to be done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And in meantime started to add on a lot of the extra to the outside of the upper hull, along with building up the turret.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for following.
Edited by Manxman, Oct 5 2017, 09:12 AM.
Pete

Posted Image

Parkadge
Member Avatar

Great progress Pete

Pat McGrath

fs2005
Member Avatar

Coming along nicely , I thought they only did die cast chassis for 1/48s .Comevto think of it they’ve just released this in1/48 in last year I think
Posted Image

Posted Image

35th-Scale
Member Avatar
Sean
Looking very nice so far Peter
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Manxman
Member Avatar

Thanks Pat, its nice to be making progress on a model after the summer break ;)

Thanks John, but nope this definitively meant to be 1/35 scale and with the diecast chassis. I'll be honest apart from adding weight to the model it does little else Ive have plastic chassis with more moulded in detail and so it only helps to make the build more complex with having to us mix of cement and superglu and of course the screws. Saying all that though it still a nice enjoyable build and great looking off road car.

Cheers Sean.
Pete

Posted Image

Manxman
Member Avatar

Been making slow but steady progress on the LAV, first up was a test based on a suggestion from Glen to see if the upper hull can just free sit over the chassis. This depended on the font guard which needs to attached to either. Thankfully attaching to the chassis means the upper hull just rests on it and doesn’t cause issues as attaching the other way would prevent the upper hull from being easily removable.

Posted Image

So with that resovled continued the joy of cutting and gluing to finish most of the build of the upper hull.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Eagle eyed amongst you might notice that I removed part of the aerial mounts and drilled .5 mm holes ready for adding full aerials.

Posted Image

Next up was of course finishing off the interior, still needs a little tidy up here and there which with the mark 1 eye ball is hard to see, but zoom in on the camera and it easy to notice and you think how did I do that or miss that. (Note to self no more posting close up pictures lol)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once the tidy up done, a quick coat of varnish, then I can add the internal decals and add a few bits of stowage.

Last but not least the driver. Third colour of camo added, just leaving the black grey still to go.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Pete

Posted Image

ReccebyStealth
Member Avatar

Nice work Peter :>
Glen

On the bench:
1/35 AML-30 prototype
1/35 Djibouti BTR-60 with AML-90 turret
1/72 S-Models BMD w/scratch slat armour.
And about 100 other part built kits... ;)

"The sergeant is the Army." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Manxman
Member Avatar

Thanks Glen,

I even managed to get some time with it after getting back home last night and got the dash corrected and the 4th camo colour on the figure so hopefully will get some updated pictures over the weekend.
Pete

Posted Image

Manxman
Member Avatar

Still slowly plodding along with this. Everything got a coat of clear for the decals to be laid down. Now just need to apply a matt coat over the driver and other bits and pieces, then I can added the last of the stowage and the interior will be complete.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Pete

Posted Image

Parkadge
Member Avatar

Great Progress Pete.
Pat McGrath

Manxman
Member Avatar

Cheers Pat, it nice to be making progress and for once I’m just sticking to this one project until it finished.

So only one decal left for the helmet, a final matt coat and that will be the driver finished

Tried something different with his eyes based on an online article and have to say don’t like the result, but we live and learn. Or it could have been that the paint was too thin for the technique.

Posted Image
JGSDF LAV Driver WiP by Manxman, on Flickr

Posted Image
JGSDF LAV Driver WiP by Manxman, on Flickr

Well I had the intention to airbrush the upper hull and had the openings etc all mask off, but being down in dublin still last night bit of extra time and no airbrush, I decided to revert to my old trusted method with the hairy stick. Certainly easy on such a small model, so using very thinned paint again to build up layers, I plodded on. It will need at least another 2 coats using this method before a clean finish is given, but the technique hasn’t let me down so far and never appeared to lose any detail.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Back hatch will be open

Posted Image

Thanks for following and comments always welcome.
Pete

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Cars [2017-2018] · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: