Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Heinkel 51 Floatplane; ICM 1:72 kit
Topic Started: Sep 27 2017, 01:16 PM (2,262 Views)
Marklo
Member Avatar

I realized this group build has a few months to run and finally found a float plane I'd like to build so I've ordered one of these HE51 floatplane from ebay.

Hopefully it isn't a pup and it arrives in time to allow me to build it before the deadline :)

Now I did consider finishing my Zepplin Stakken as a floatplane, but that one might take a bit of time......
Posted Image

More to follow (hopefully...)
Edited by Marklo, Sep 27 2017, 01:24 PM.
On the Bench:-
BE2c Nightfighter 1:72
Sopwith Pup scratchbuild 1:48

Finished Builds:
A7V Scratchbuild /Saint Chamond Scratchbuild/Mk IV Heavy Tank
Airfix ME 109 /HE51 Floatplane/Mig 21/Scratchbuilt 1913 Depredussin racer/ ARC-170
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
Kit finally arrived and thankfully looks pretty good. :)
Edited by Marklo, Oct 31 2017, 12:14 PM.

Finished Builds:
Airfix ME 109 /HE51 Floatplane/Mig 21/Scratchbuilt 1913 Depredussin racer/ ARC-170

fs2005
Member Avatar

Rigging looks thick in box artwork
Posted Image

Posted Image

Prenton
Member Avatar

Lots of rigging on that one, Mark.

Philip
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Marklo
Member Avatar

Now that you mention it, particularly the arrangement with 4 wires coming together in mid air behind the upper wing might be tricky. I normally use streched sprue, but I have some very fine plastic rod that I might use for this (although I used it for the RF wire on my ME109 and have had a terrible time trying to stick it in place)
Also from what reviews I've been able to find it looks like the interplane struts and the float struts aren't a particularly good fit, so that might be challenging too.
Lastly I'm trying to find a colourscheme that's a little bit more interesting than the overall grey (RLM 63 I think)

Mark
Edited by Marklo, Oct 31 2017, 03:21 PM.

Finished Builds:

Prenton
Member Avatar

Marklo
Oct 31 2017, 03:13 PM
Lastly I'm trying to find a colourscheme that's a little bit more interesting than the overall grey (RLM 63 I think)

Mark
There's always Spanish Civil War..... :-"

Philip
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Marklo
Member Avatar

Quote:

There's always Spanish Civil War..... :-"
There are some lovely schemes for sure. But I'm not sure the float version got deployed there, they didn't make all that many (46 I think ) and most if not all seem to have been finished in the overall 63 grey scheme.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

I realized yesterday that the group build ends in 3 weeks so I reckoned I better get cracking on this.

I as going to use stretched sprue to rig it, but based on the complexity of the rigging and a few comments on the forums, I've decided to use fine wire with drilled holes, as a result I've been waiting on rigging wire in the post before getting stuck in, but I think I may see if I can get some fine wire locally and move on owing to the december 3rd deadline :)
Posted Image
Main fuselage assembly with wings and tailplanes, it's a funny little kit, no tabs or pins so it requires a lot of precise work to get the pieces in line, but fairly nice moldings and overall goes together well. The plastic for the floats (which I've also built and sanded) was quite soft and scratched easily.
, so it will be ready for the first round of painting and rigging by the weekend.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
A coat of paint (166 and 162 mixed moreo or less 1:1 gives what i think is a nice RLM 63. Very close to the colour of the moldings) and some filling.
Next up, sand it, another coat of 63, paint the floats then it's rigging time :)
Edited by Marklo, Nov 15 2017, 09:59 AM.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

As part of the Emergency Floatplane Program work is now suspended on all other projects (except of course redecorating the house before Christmas) :)

Posted Image
Progress (overall) Painted the floats and attached the struts. Found a suitable rigging wire my local art & crafts store. Spent a happy hour or two drilling lots of holes in the thing. Then went to do the tail markings...

Now I had read that ICM decals are notoriously bad, and the tail bands were horribly off register, unfortunately I didn't realize this until I had soaked one side so trying to trim it failed horribly, so to cut a long story short I ended up having to paint the red band, as luck would have it my swastika sheet comes with the white circle and I had a tin of RLM 50 Rot which was still usable after all these years.

Ready now to fit the floats and start rigging/Decals/final assembly touch up should be well in hand by the weekend :)
Edited by Marklo, Nov 22 2017, 11:05 AM.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
Small progress. Got the tail markings completed, after a succession of disasters. Having reverted to hand painting the strip, I realized that it was too narrow, so I had to widen it. Then I applied one of my xtradecal swastikas with a white disk and for some reason it stuck fast and wouldn't move (either the Rot paint was still tacky or I hadn't soaked the decal for long enough, or both), the position was good front to back but about 1mm too high, the one on the other side went on OK. I then decided I'd use the disk from the unused ICM decal sheet to cover the misplaced xtradecal one, this disintegrated when I tried to apply it, also the red was also totally different from my Rot paint (Compucolour RLM50 Rot, but it is at least 30 years old) so it wouldn't have looked right anyway. So on to plan d (i think) carefully retouch the botched xtradecal decal with a fine brush to relocate it, then apply a small swastika over it, which is what I ended up doing, and as you can see from the photo it ended up reasonably good. I'm now extremely nervous of the rest of the decal sheet.
TLDR: I got the tail markings on but it was a struggle.

I also started painting the propeller, which will be RLM03 silber blades, an RLM02 middle and an RLM63 spinner.

Edited by Marklo, Nov 24 2017, 09:43 AM.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
Interplane struts on and rigging wires going in. I'm using fine beading wire with part drilled and drilled holes. The idea being that I superglue the line to a blind hole then pull it through a through hole, superglue it taut then shave and fill the hole.This will be the first time I've rigged a biplane this way, instead of the usual stretched sprue way, so I'm a bit nervous about it.

Posted Image
Upper wing on and more rigging wires, everything about this build has been difficult. First I broke one of the interplane struts, but I was able to glue it back together, then I managed to break both of the right hand main struts, which I ended up replacing with plastic card. Still progress albeit of the three steps forward, two steps backwards type .

Still a lot to do. Secure the rigging, fit & rig the floats, fit the exhausts and various aerials and antennae, retouching, decals, possibly scratch build a beaching trolley, Dec 3rd may be a bit tight :ermm: .

Finished Builds:

Dermot
Member Avatar

Nice work on this one and like the approach to rigging.

Dermot
Gallery of my Completed Builds

On the Bench

Posted Image

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
And two steps (I think) backwards. The rigging was turning into a gluey mess and the main struts weren't lining up and I managed to bend the new struts (sigh) so I took the top wing off, removed all of the rigging lines (resisted the temptation to jump up and down on it) sanded back the wings, repainted them and then drilled through holes in the top wing and re rigged it. Re attached the interplane struts and made blanks for 4 new outer struts.

On a positive note I fixed the tail rigging and it worked well and I'm happier to go ahead with the build again, this time with the rigging a bit more organised. On balance a half an hour of remedial work got me pretty much back where I was but with a whole load of irritating issues fixed.
Edited by Marklo, Nov 29 2017, 09:15 AM.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
Top wing back on, and starting to pull the rigging taut. The tail plane has turned out well so much more hopeful with this revised approach. Sunday is still possible but perhaps not probable :), although if I get a run at it and it goes to plan there's only a couple of hours left in it.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Didn't make the 3rd, might make the 10th :) but it's proving a tricky build and between it and RL I haven't made a lot of progress on it.
Posted Image
The struts are back in (probably the most fiddly thing I've done in a long time) and the next step is to tension the rigging. If that goes to plan then therest of the build should be pretty straightfoward, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that :)
Edited by Marklo, Dec 4 2017, 11:11 AM.

Finished Builds:

Dermot
Member Avatar

Keep at it Marklo, would love to see this finished!

Cheers,
Dermot
Gallery of my Completed Builds

On the Bench

Posted Image

Marklo
Member Avatar

Quote:

Keep at it Marklo, would love to see this finished!
So would I, if my Arado (it took 30 years) got finished then so will this :)

Posted Image
Starting to tension the rigging. What with my, health, herself's health, exam time for my daughter (first year at college) and the Cat's health (he is 19) I'm waiting but not succeeding to get a decent run at this, rather than nip away at it. Hopefully I'll get a sit down hour or two at the weekend.

Finished Builds:

Joseph M

Take your time as we all know what happens when you try and rush models.
Ya end up making a dogs dinner of it.
Cheers
Joe M

Posted ImageIMG_20170915_183621 by Joseph Moran, on Flickr
On the bench in order of nearest to completion;
A Model 1/72 Spad A.2 Finished 24/4/18
A Z Models 1/72 Morane "WR". (Schneider race entry from 1914).
K P Models 1/72 Avia BH-3
Mark 1 Models 1/144 Gloster Gladiator Finished 1/7/8
SRAM Models 1/144 SIA 7-B (Resin)
Valom Models 1144 A pair of Sopwith Pups
MSD Models 1/72 Vickers Vimy 66 Commercial
Revell 1/72 Fokker D.VII conversion to a two seater
Curtiss Condor (added 24/4/18) 1/81
Ansaldo S.V.A 9 (added 24/4/18)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Marklo
Member Avatar

Quote:

Take your time as we all know what happens when you try and rush models.
Ya end up making a dogs dinner of it.
Indeed this came very close a number of times :)

Posted Image
Rigging tensioned and trimmed. Reasonably happy with this. Filling, retouching, Floats, Decals and it's done.
Edited by Marklo, Dec 8 2017, 09:59 AM.

Finished Builds:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Flying Boats / Float Planes [2017] · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: