Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Civilian Aircraft - Don Whitaker Tribute GB; Remembering a gent of modelling
Topic Started: Oct 11 2017, 01:28 PM (896 Views)
Dermot
Member Avatar

Many of us will have missed the late Don Whitaker and his great civilian aircraft models at last weekend's show.

Following up on the thread started by Joe and by way of a tribute to Don, we're adding a Civilian Aircraft Group Build to the 2017-18 calendar, starting from now until next year's show. There will be a special trophy in Don's name at the 2018 Nationals and you can build just for the club table or to enter into the competition. Or both if you like.

Rules are straightforward - any civilian aircraft, not military operated, from single seaters right up to modern commercial passenger or cargo jets, transports, water bombers, etc.

The kit doesn't have to be unstarted and we'll waive the standard 25% started rule - just show a picture of what state your kit is currently in.

Apart from that, we'ld appreciate if you could show some WIP photos of your progress in a build thread and put up final build pics in the GB Gallery by the closing date, which will be Friday 5th October 2018 at 23:59.

And that's it. Enjoy, have fun.

Dermot

Gallery of my Completed Builds

On the Bench

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Barry
Member Avatar

Great stuff!!

ReccebyStealth
Member Avatar

What a great tribute šŸ‘

Count me in šŸ˜ƒ
Glen

On the bench:
1/16 Trumpeter T-72B1 with Kontakt ERA
1/35 AML-30 prototype
1/35 Djibouti BTR-60 with AML-90 turret
1/72 S-Models BMD w/scratch slat armour.
And about 100 other part built kits... ;)
Posted Image

"The sergeant is the Army." Dwight D. Eisenhower

KMF
Member Avatar

I was very sad to hear of Dons passing. He was a great guy, always a pleasure to talk to. We both made airliners and it was always nice to see what he built.

I think it a very honourable idea to have a civil aircraft group build. I will build something.

Iā€™m not sure if someone has already said this, but it would be nice to have a display of the model on the club table in Telfords 2018.

Ken
Production Line
Line No. 1 - 1/72 Iranian Air Force F-14A Tomcat
Line No. 2 - 1/72 F-4F Phantom Pharewell 1973-2013

Deleivered Line
1 - 1/144 Airbus A330-300 Aer Lingus
2- 1/48 F-15j 50th Anniversary of JASDF 305th TFS Hyakuri Air Base
3 - 1/200 CP Air Boeing 747-200
4 - 1/144 Aer Turas Canadair CL-44J

Marklo
Member Avatar

I never did meet Don, but I can see he was held in extremely high esteem and affection by the forum members.

So I reckon if I'm going to participate it should be something reasonably special (I hope) so with that in mind, and after racking my brain considerably (I almost never build civilian models, so this wasn't easy) I've decided to build a 1/48th scale DH 16, starting with This and converting This. The long time scale will help.
Edited by Marklo, Oct 12 2017, 04:12 PM.
On the Bench:-
BE2c Nightfighter 1:72
Sopwith Pup scratchbuild 1:48

Finished Builds:
A7V Scratchbuild /Saint Chamond Scratchbuild/Mk IV Heavy Tank
Airfix ME 109 /HE51 Floatplane/Mig 21/Scratchbuilt 1913 Depredussin racer/ ARC-170

Admin

This Group Build is now open ready for your build threads.

Cheers,
Dermot

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Proposals · Next Topic »
Add Reply