Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
  • Pages:
1913 Depredussin Racer
Topic Started: Oct 17 2017, 12:36 PM (2,160 Views)
Marklo
Member Avatar

I happened to be in my attic on Sunday and found this (it's a big attic and I am a compulsive hoarder)

Posted Image
Later on flicking through the book I came across this, which I think is just the best looking early airplane I've ever seen and started thinking (dangerous I know)
Posted Image

I'll mold the fuselage in 5 pieces, Headrest, Cowl/Spinner, Fuselage halves (carve a former grill some plastic card and push it through, done before, not too difficult) wings and tail are plastic card shouldn't be beyond me. Just need to decide the scale, now it's a small plane (approx 4 metres) so by my rough calculations 1:32 would only have a 125mm long fuselage, so I may go for that. Need to print off and scale the plans to see which I end up doing.
Edited by Marklo, Oct 17 2017, 12:36 PM.
On the Bench:-
Sopwith Pup scratchbuild 1:48
1913 Depredussin racer 1:32 Scratchbuild
Ancient Heller Mig 21 (found slightly butchered in stash, being resurrected as a north Vietnamese 21pf) 1:72

Finished Builds:
A7V Scratchbuild /Saint Chamond Scratchbuild
Airfix ME 109 /HE51 Floatplane
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

fs2005
Member Avatar

Looking forward to following this .
Posted Image

Posted Image

Joseph M

Hi Marklo,
As John said I too am looking forward to this.
By the way do you ever take the easy option!!!
Cheers
Joe M
On the bench in order of nearest to completion;
A Model 1/72 Spad A.2 Finished 24/4/18
A Z Models 1/72 Morane "WR". (Schneider race entry from 1914).
K P Models 1/72 Avia BH-3
Mark 1 Models 1/144 Gloster Gladiator
SRAM Models 1/144 SIA 7-B (Resin)
Valom Models 1144 A pair of Sopwith Pups
MSD Models 1/72 Vickers Vimy 66 Commercial
Glencoe Models 1/81 Curtiss Condor
Revell 1/72 Fokker D.VII conversion to a two seater
Curtiss Condor (added 24/4/18) 1/81
Ansaldo S.V.A 9 (added 24/4/18)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Marklo
Member Avatar

Quote:

By the way do you ever take the easy option!!!

No. I get bored easily. That's why I've nearly finished the A7V and my Me109 has barely moved in the last few weeks :)
Ancient Heller Mig 21 (found slightly butchered in stash, being resurrected as a north Vietnamese 21pf) 1:72

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Doing some (rough) scale drawings !:32 just fits onto an A4 page ,so even at this scale it's pretty petite. So 1:32 it is. Must remember to buy some balsa wood at the weekend :)

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

As usual it all starts with a selection of odd plastic card cutouts :)
Posted Image
Managed to make a start on cutting out the sections for the fuselage. The plan is to make a former with plastic ribs and a center spar, then in fill with balsa wood and sand it down to the plastic pieces. Then use the finished former to male/female mold the actual fuselage. I only need to make one side as the fuselage is symmetric (and hopefully so is my carving :) ) (BTW the wheels in this drawing are too far forward but are the correct size, I've since moved the axle back in my drawing)
Edited by Marklo, Oct 31 2017, 09:34 AM.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
A bit more work done on the form. Next step is to smooth down all the profiles and infill with balsawood.
Edited by Marklo, Nov 1 2017, 09:22 AM.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
A little bit of progress at the weekend, balsa wood infill. Next step is to fill andsand it till it's smooth, then cut the other part of the mold from sheet and (hopefully) mold a nice uniform fuselage.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
Filled (polyfilla of all things) sanded and given a coat of the first paint I grabbed from the paintbox (Tamiya XF63, I think) to check for imperfections. Still needs a tiny bit more filling and sanding.

I should be ready to attempt molding at the weekend (assuming I have the time of course, we seem to be embarked on a DIY campaign atm, so I may not). But I might wait and do the spinner first instead, as the card stock I have is 1mm and might be a little thick; I have .5mm on order so that might work better. It's also a much smaller part so it'll let me perfect my molding techniques before attempting the fuselage.
Edited by Marklo, Nov 9 2017, 09:20 AM.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
Saturday seems to be my day for making. I meant to press on with the HE51 (I did do a little bit) but once I got started on the Depredussin it somehow drew me in. Made some wheel blanks from 1mm card, discs and rings. Made forms for the cowling, wheel centre and the spinner. Cut the female form for the fuselage and the wheel centre. Ready for some grilling!

Posted Image
With some singed fingers, charred balsa wood and a kitchen smelling vaguely like burnt popcorn, I have some not unreasonable moldings made.

Posted Image
Here's the full collection. Not seen here are the first fuselage attempt (which I didn't get fully formed, but i's probably a better mold so I may still end up using it for the upper decking around the cockpit) and the second attempt at the cowel, which didn't draw down the full way but is thicker to the front so I'll probably use it and extend it out with plastic card. That''s almost all the molding, just the headrest and the windscreen, both of which I'll leave till later. Next step is to clean up all the parts (lots and lots of filling and sanding ahead) and construct the fuselage.
Edited by Marklo, Nov 13 2017, 09:13 AM.

Finished Builds:

Parkadge
Member Avatar

That's amazing looking
Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
Been nipping away at this, some (nearly) completed parts, cowling, spinner and the wheels, finally got the paint right as well (Tamiya deck tan)

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
Might not seem like much but now I have two almost completed wheels (just need to properly centre, the centre on the one on the right, it's only dry fitted) Each one consists of two molded covers a central disk, and two outer rings to make up the tyres, so that's 10 handmade parts in total. Pretty pleased with these (funny how I always seem to start off with the wheels) Now that I have my circle cutter I'll start on the Fuselage next.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
After many hours of sanding, I have what almost looks like two halves of a fuselage. I've started adding in some bulkheads to give it a little structure, My new compass cutter really does make this so much easier. I'll also add some strips along the joints to give me something to join/fill to. Next step will be to cut the nose off and make the cockpit opening, before joining the two shells together.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
Got to do a bit yesterday. The start of the interior. The idea is that all the wooden bits (as opposed to the plywood shell) Are built as a unit that I'll paint and detail outside the fuselage and then slide into place when done. Presently it's two bulkheads, two floor panels and two side panels, There's a control panel, steering yoke, wheel and seat to go with this as well as one or two bracing spars.

Posted Image
The two fuselage shells taped together for cutting off the nose area (alignment isn't too bad, one or two sections will need a bit of coaxing/copious filling) complete with off cuts in the foreground.

Posted Image
The cut fuselage with the cowl and spinner dry fitted (the front of the fuselage is a tiny bit wide, so I'll need to trim it a bit to reduce the diameter when I join the shells, but you get the idea.).
Edited by Marklo, Jan 25 2018, 09:55 AM.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
And we have a propellor, yay!.

Posted Image

Finished Builds:

Joseph M

Beautiful workmanship.
Your modelling skills are putting me to shame!!!!
Very Well Done.
Cheers
Joe M
On the bench in order of nearest to completion;
A Model 1/72 Spad A.2 Finished 24/4/18
A Z Models 1/72 Morane "WR". (Schneider race entry from 1914).
K P Models 1/72 Avia BH-3
Mark 1 Models 1/144 Gloster Gladiator
SRAM Models 1/144 SIA 7-B (Resin)
Valom Models 1144 A pair of Sopwith Pups
MSD Models 1/72 Vickers Vimy 66 Commercial
Glencoe Models 1/81 Curtiss Condor
Revell 1/72 Fokker D.VII conversion to a two seater
Curtiss Condor (added 24/4/18) 1/81
Ansaldo S.V.A 9 (added 24/4/18)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Marklo
Member Avatar

Quote:

[Beautiful workmanship.
Your modelling skills are putting me to shame!!!!

Thanks Joe, I have my moments :)

Managed to do a bit at the weekend:-

Posted Image Posted Image
Painted the propeller. Base cost of Humbrol Sand (terrible paint took 3 coats) followed by a coat of yellow ochre and some raw sienna oils dragged through it. The door in the background is oak and the effect I was aiming for all told, I think it looks pretty good.

Posted Image Posted Image

Stuck the two Fuselage shells together, in stages, rear upper, rear lower, front upper, front lower. Lots of filler and sheeted the front internally with .020 card to hide the joints (hence the clothes pegs). Then sanded and filled followed by a quick coat of deck tan, Needs a bit more filling and sanding, but progressing nicely. Somewhere along the way I also cut out the cockpit opening (needs a little more trimming and smoothing out)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Last up to make something that looks like a radial engine. Wire wrapped around sprue then attached to a central ring. Last picture is it dry fitted to the cowl (yes I also got brave enough over the weekend to cut the front opening on that too :) ) and the spinner. As it will be almost invisible in the finished model, although it's crude it's more than good enough for the job.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
These arrived in the post yesterday. My one non homemade piece of the build :) at 4mm and 5mm diameter for the dials I just couldn't figure out how to do the instrument faces convincingly by hand.
Edited by Marklo, Jan 30 2018, 01:17 PM.

Finished Builds:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Civilian Aircraft - Don Whitaker Tribute GB {2017-18] · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: