Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Group Build Chat; For all your Vietnam chatter
Topic Started: Dec 3 2017, 11:09 PM (660 Views)
Admin

Discuss your models, favourite Vietnam movies or shows. your reference photos, books and websites.

This is the thread for you!.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Manxman
Member Avatar

Well come tomorrow I will have the A6 Intruder and will at least start it for this GB but as it the first aircraft built in years, and I have the Eduardo interior upgrade I donโ€™t imagine finishing it within 6 months but I will keep it progressing along with other builds.

Good luck to everyone
Pete

On the bench - What isn't ๐Ÿ˜€

Posted Image

Dermot
Member Avatar

For anyone interested, the latest FineScale Modeller is a Vietnam special - all builds in the magazine (armour/aircraft/ships/figures) are from that conflict.

Posted ImageIMG_6571 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Even has a 1/72 B-52 build just for you Barry :D

Cheers,
Dermot
Gallery of my Completed Builds

On the Bench
1/72 Monogram F-105G Wild Weasel Vietnam GB

Barry
Member Avatar

Nice one Dermot.. I shall be picking that up !
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ReccebyStealth
Member Avatar

Will you be building the 1/24 Huey for this one Barry?
Glen

On the bench:
1/35 AML-30 prototype
1/35 Djibouti BTR-60 with AML-90 turret
1/72 S-Models BMD w/scratch slat armour.
And about 100 other part built kits... ;)

"The sergeant is the Army." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barry
Member Avatar

Yeah that was the plan glen..But with the b-52 And other distractions gettingbin the way I might not get around to it

ReccebyStealth
Member Avatar

Barry
Jan 7 2018, 03:29 PM
Yeah that was the plan glen..But with the b-52 And other distractions gettingbin the way I might not get around to it
I hope you do Barry, be interesting to see such a big kit built up :>
Glen

On the bench:
1/35 AML-30 prototype
1/35 Djibouti BTR-60 with AML-90 turret
1/72 S-Models BMD w/scratch slat armour.
And about 100 other part built kits... ;)

"The sergeant is the Army." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Manxman
Member Avatar

Right I'm willing to put aside the Pearl and the M-ATV and take part in this, but it has been along time since I built an aircraft and never one of this detail and to make matters worse never one I have to upgrade the tub on.

Now as some of you know I do have a little issue ;) , so I'm looking for one kind soul to at least give me some guidance on what is the best way to approach this with build and paint order, etc. If I get a volunteer then I'll give it a bash.
Pete

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

What help/guidance do you need Pete?
On the bench -
Italeri 1:72 ACH-47 Chinook Gunship

Completed builds -
Click here

Manxman
Member Avatar

Where do I start ;) lol

That can have two meaning here and both apply.

I think Iโ€™ll open a build log at weekend with the instructions and extras and then that will make it easier to chime in as literally unsure where to start this build and when do I paint. Want to do most of it with airbrush and not go back to the hairy stick.
Pete

Posted Image

Barry
Member Avatar

What's the issue Pete? I'm more than happy to help in anyway I can

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Pete,

If it helps at all, here's my usual build order for an aircraft:

1. Halford's Ratllecan prime all the bits that are internal or will be added near the end of the build, while still on the sprues. I cut off the fuselage/wings etc. as these will be primed when assembled.

2. I break from the instructions and follow Gerry's advice of building the fiddly bits first. So that's the undercarriage, ordinance etc. These will already be primed on the sprues. I assemble them, paint them, decal them, weather them etc. Paint will either be airbrush or brush painted, depending on what's easier (I wouldn't break out the airbrush just to paint the exposed oleos on the undercarriage for example). I then put these to one side.

3. Cut out any clear pieces (canopy etc.) and tidy them up, and dip them in Klear and leave them alone under something to keep dust away.

4. Basically I then follow the instructions for assembly (usually cockpit first). I paint as I go (as most cockpits etc. need to be painted before being put into the fuselage). Weathering of cockpit (like dry-brushing or washes) also happens now, along with any decals (normally brush on Klear first, let it dry, then add the decal, and maybe put a matt coat on afterwards to make it flat). If there's PE involved, I tend to prime it on the sprue if it's not pre-painted, though some will flake off if scratched/bent, but I don't worry about that. Then I superglue the PE on, and it will be painted along with the rest of the cockpit parts. Some cockpit parts might be airbrushed, some brush painted, again depending on what's easiest for me.

5. Once the cockpit and any other internal parts are assembled, (and weight added to the nose if needed) I continue with the build until I have a completed airframe (minus things like ordinance, undercarriage, pitot tubes etc.). The canopy is masked and the internal colour then painted on the outside (so it shows on the inside). If the canopy is going to be open, I'll probably mask the inside first and paint the internal colour inside, as it looks better when the canopy is open. I then take off the internal mask and just leave the external masked, and glue the canopy in place. I also paint any internal sections that are showing (wheel wells etc.) and then mask them.

6. I now prime the completed airframe, find all the gaps I missed, fill and sand them, prime a little again, and eventually it gets to a point where I say 'it'll do'. I used to use Halford's Primer for this too, but nowadays I prime in black so I can do black basing. However, I might prime some sections in white if white features heavily in the finished scheme, as the white primer is a great way of getting that white coat done!

7. Once I'm happy with the filling/sanding/priming, I paint the airframe in whatever scheme it should be. Usually at least two thin coats, depending on the paint coverage, with masking etc. This is all airbrushing for me, though I might brushpaint if little details are to be picked out.

8. Once the paint is done, I put a gloss coat on it (I still brush paint Klear as I struggle to airbrush gloss for some reason).

9. With the Klear coat done, the decals are all next, using MicroSet/MicroSol etc.

10. With the decals all done, another gloss coat goes on to seal them.

11. After that I weather it, I now use a oil panel wash (usually Payne's Grey mixed with a brown, like Umber) and I carefully pin wash the panel lines, wiping away the excess. I do all the 'wet' weathering at this stage (washes etc.).

12. Once that's done, I'll spray on the matt coat to seal it all in. Of course, I only do this if I want the aircraft to be matt or satin!

13. With the matt coat done, I remove the masking from the canopy etc., and do any dry weathering (like with pastels etc.).

14. Finally, I glue on the dodgy/fragile bits on (undercarriage/ordinance/tubes etc.) that were already finished. I tend to use superglue for this, as a little bit of it will hold it on, without melting any plastic/paint, as long as I'm careful!

I don't know if that helps at all or not, and obviously I missed some detail in each step, but that's basically the process I follow. Of course, it's just my process and others do it differently (and tend to get better results!). Hope it helps though...

Edited by Jasonb, Mar 6 2018, 03:44 PM.
On the bench -
Italeri 1:72 ACH-47 Chinook Gunship

Completed builds -
Click here

Dermot
Member Avatar

Great post by Jason and I follow the same steps as he does (without the airbrush as i'm still working towards that).

My other suggestions would be..

- use a micro saw to remove any clear parts as it usually gives a much cleaner cut to clean up than a No. 11 Blade

- ask anyone in the club or forum or look online for builds of the same kit as that usually gives some good pointers on things to watch out for like fit issues, build sequence etc.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Dermot
Gallery of my Completed Builds

On the Bench
1/72 Monogram F-105G Wild Weasel Vietnam GB

Manxman
Member Avatar

Cheers guys

Should help, what I need to add in is the Eduard cockpit upgrade and think Iโ€™ll leave wings off until it painted and decal added as I want it folded wing.

Anyway Iโ€™ll post start of build log at weekend and take it from there
Pete

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Good Morning Vietnam GB (2017-18) · Next Topic »
Add Reply