Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Printing your own Decals, anyone tried this?
Topic Started: Dec 8 2017, 03:12 PM (681 Views)
Marklo
Member Avatar

Googling custom decals and I ended up at this, Inkjet Waterslide Decal paper available in white and clear, notwithstanding scaling and colour accuracy it seems like a great idea for making custom markings. (I'm thinking custom roundels for my BE2C which I think I want to finish in 50 squadron black) Has anyone tried this or similar products and if so does it work?
Edited by Marklo, Dec 8 2017, 03:13 PM.
On the Bench:-
Sopwith Pup scratchbuild 1:48
1913 Depredussin racer 1:32 Scratchbuild
Ancient Heller Mig 21 (found slightly butchered in stash, being resurrected as a north Vietnamese 21pf) 1:72

Finished Builds:
A7V Scratchbuild /Saint Chamond Scratchbuild
Airfix ME 109 /HE51 Floatplane
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Merlin

Hi Marklo,

I've been using the Crafty Computer Paper Inkjet Waterslide Paper for a number of years, with mixed results.

The white backed paper is the most successful with pretty good results, provided your printer is properly colour calibrated. The problem here is, unless you trim right to the colour edge you will have a white margin. This is not helped by the thickness of the white decal paper which can appear as a faint white edge, however close you trim.

The clear film I have found to be very problematical as the inkjet printer I use does not give enough depth of ink to cover dark surfaces. I've had some success applying on white or light surfaces but printing say, red over black, the red all but merges into the black because it's not solid enough to contrast against it. The only answer to this is to underlay or underpaint in white before applying the decal but I'm sure you can imagine how much of a nightmare this would be with very complex shapes.

In summary, I think you need to experiment with both sheets to see what results you achieve with your printer.

Gerry

Merlin

Marklo,

If it helps and you want to send me an address by PM, I could send you a 10X15cm sample of both papers to try out before you commit to buying.

Gerry

fs2005
Member Avatar

I’ve done some myself a few times and never been 100% happy mostly with thickness but there can be other issues too .I believe some pro decal printers are quite cheap .
Posted Image

Posted Image

KMF
Member Avatar

Hi Marklo

I’ve printed decals before using a laser printer. They’ve worked well for me. There are two reasons I used a laser print. 1st the print is better, 2nd water will not effect the toner. I get my paper from Hannants and I go to a local print shop to print them. The paper comes in clear or white and is A4 size.

The ink in an inkjet printer is more transparent than the toner from the laser printer. So if you use an inkjet printer with clear paper, the ink will not work well on any other colour than white. So a laser printer is the way to go.

If you are looking for some with white in it you could always get some masks made up. I’ve done this before and it works really well to. I used Miracle Paint Masks http://www.freewebs.com/miraclemasks/

Regards

Ken
Production Line
Line No. 1 - 1/72 Iranian Air Force F-14A Tomcat
Line No. 2 - 1/72 F-4F Phantom Pharewell 1973-2013

Deleivered Line
1 - 1/144 Airbus A330-300 Aer Lingus
2- 1/48 F-15j 50th Anniversary of JASDF 305th TFS Hyakuri Air Base
3 - 1/200 CP Air Boeing 747-200
4 - 1/144 Aer Turas Canadair CL-44J

Marklo
Member Avatar

I may pass on this one then, it (a bit like 3D printing) isn't the magic bullet I hoped it might be. Most of what I need can be sorted if I get hold of some solid decal film and cut it into circles or toroids, (should be easy when my compass cutter arrives) so may just go down that road.

Edited by Marklo, Dec 11 2017, 09:55 AM.
Ancient Heller Mig 21 (found slightly butchered in stash, being resurrected as a north Vietnamese 21pf) 1:72

Finished Builds:

fs2005
Member Avatar

How much for the pro printing Ken and where?
Posted Image

Posted Image

KMF
Member Avatar

I get them printed in my local print shop or in town. The place in town was near Marks Models. I think most places will print them for you. I think the cost of printing was only a couple of euro. The paper comes from hannants. Code number XCD cost £3.25
Production Line
Line No. 1 - 1/72 Iranian Air Force F-14A Tomcat
Line No. 2 - 1/72 F-4F Phantom Pharewell 1973-2013

Deleivered Line
1 - 1/144 Airbus A330-300 Aer Lingus
2- 1/48 F-15j 50th Anniversary of JASDF 305th TFS Hyakuri Air Base
3 - 1/200 CP Air Boeing 747-200
4 - 1/144 Aer Turas Canadair CL-44J

Prenton
Member Avatar

The place Ken used is now on Nassau Street, beside Kilkenny Design
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Marklo
Member Avatar

I actually went ahead and bought some white sheets off amazon, which arrived recently. I'll probably attempt to use these for the numbers on the Mig and the wing markings for the Deperdussin and possibly for the night fighter roundels for my BE2C, so around about march , at the rate I'm going, so watch this space.

Finished Builds:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Hints & Tips, Tools & Resources · Next Topic »
Add Reply