Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Mig 21 PF Conversion/Ressurrection; Rebuilding an old butchered Heller MIG 21 C into a North Vietnamese 21 PF
Topic Started: Dec 11 2017, 09:28 AM (1,583 Views)
Marklo
Member Avatar

Starting this one now as I don't want to miss the boat again (small pun intended).
Posted Image
Found lurking in my attic. The kit itself has been hanging around for at least 30 years, whence I obviously decided to make it into a Fishbed D or a PF (Most of the colourschemes for the C are baremetal and boring)

Posted Image
It's partially built and my attempt at a new nose is apparent (and awful) So first step find some scale plans:-

Posted Image
After attempting to reshape the plug, I came to the decision that it's got to go, so next order of business is an amputation, followed by a more controlled rebuid :)
On the Bench:-
Sopwith Pup scratchbuild 1:48
1:48 Albatross DI

Finished Builds:
A7V Scratchbuild /Saint Chamond Scratchbuild/Mk IV Heavy Tank
Airfix ME 109/HE51 Floatplane/Mig 21/Scratchbuilt 1913 Depredussin racer/ARC-170/BE2c Nightfighter/Airfix 1:72 Fokker EIII
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

fs2005
Member Avatar

Good luck with build !
Posted Image

Posted Image

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
The now headless Mig with the start of the new nose, I'll build this up out of ribs then sheet it over. Probably need a new canopy too. Still something to do. (although I know I probably could have bought this as a PF, but I somehow feel better having reclaimed a relic from my stash)

Finished Builds:
Airfix ME 109/HE51 Floatplane/Mig 21/Scratchbuilt 1913 Depredussin racer/ARC-170/BE2c Nightfighter/Airfix 1:72 Fokker EIII

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
Some small progress ribs and formers in place. (first attempt at nose on the right) Now I need to infill with balsa and sheet over with plastic card. Much happier wiith this.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
Infilled and first coat of filler (not a great photo) much happier with this nose. Need to add the spine behind the canopy and a blank for the new canopy itself. Then a bit more filling and sanding, from then it's a pretty straight forward build.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image Posted Image
Added the Fuselage spine, lots more sanding and filling and decided to add the wings, and as suspected I have virtually no wing roots left, still fixable with filler. Actually looking quite good at this stage. Next up I need to make and shape the plug for the new canopy.
Edited by Marklo, Jan 29 2018, 09:26 AM.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
Did a bit more filling/Sealing and sanding on the MIG. I also realized it was going to be a tail sitter, so I weighted it with some old nuts & screws from the garage held in place with PVA adhesive. Doesn't look terrible different from the previous, but getting there.
Edited by Marklo, Feb 12 2018, 09:18 AM.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

More filling and sanding. Working on the plug for the new canopy. An overall coat of pale grey.

I'm more or less decided to finish this as 5105 flown by Nguyen Van Coc (i Know, nearly every Mig 21 gets done in this scheme nowadays, but it's such a nice one), but there's quite a bit of discussion over the actual colours. Opinion is divided as to whether the undersurfaces are bare metal or light grey (I think light grey, or at least aluminium as there is a clear silver ring at the nose in the photos) and whether the rudder is a different base colour (I think it's a lighting artefact as the rudder is angled in the photos)

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
Taken with my Aldi android phone which is filling in until I get a functional iPhone back (it's a long story) hence the graininess. 0

Attached the horizontal stabilizers, did a lot more sanding and filling, given a coat of Humbrol 166, which is the colour I'm going to use for the underside and realized I could get away with the kit canopy, just needed to cut off the back and re-frame it. Canopy just needs the front frame added and a bit of cleaning/polishing and it's good to go.

Although the Deperdussin is getting the most attention, I think I want to press on and get this one finished, so I can get stuck into the BE2c and the dropship.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
Progress. Last piece of canopy framing, needs to be polished back to clear. I think I'm finished whit the sanding and shaping so I've started adding bumps and bulges :) . undercarriage, interior, ordnance (2 missiles and a drop tank, I'm thinking I'll use the ones from the kit but they look a little overscale, we'll see) camouflage and then it's done :)
Edited by Marklo, Mar 12 2018, 10:42 AM.

Finished Builds:

Narayan
Member Avatar
Graham
That's great work Marklo. All that time and effort sanding and filling is really paying off.

Graham
Posted Image

Marklo
Member Avatar

The canopy with the framing more or less completed and after about an hour of being buffed with some Euthymol :) (before and after) looks way better irl btw. Oh and in case you're wondering there is no interior detail yet.
Edited by Marklo, Mar 14 2018, 08:54 AM.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
Not my main build by any accounts, but inching along. It got an undercarriage over the weekend (although I'm pretty sure I vacuumed up one of the landing gear doors, still easily enough replaced from card stock)

Finished Builds:

Joseph M

Coming together nicely Marklo,
Cheers
Joe M
On the bench in order of nearest to completion;
A Model 1/72 Spad A.2 Finished 24/4/18
A Z Models 1/72 Morane "WR". (Schneider race entry from 1914).
K P Models 1/72 Avia BH-3
Mark 1 Models 1/144 Gloster Gladiator Finished 1/7/8
SRAM Models 1/144 SIA 7-B (Resin)
Valom Models 1144 A pair of Sopwith Pups
MSD Models 1/72 Vickers Vimy 66 Commercial
Revell 1/72 Fokker D.VII conversion to a two seater
Curtiss Condor (added 24/4/18) 1/81
Ansaldo S.V.A 9 (added 24/4/18)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Marklo
Member Avatar

Progress, retouched the undersides, got the top coat on, not looking too bad. Still need to add some cockpit detail, a little filling, scraping and sanding, some detailing, strakes, bulges, antennae, pylons and ordnance, the rest of the camouflage and some markings and it's finished :)

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
Camo on. And a bit of detailing work. I've gone for pale green with darker green mottle for two reasons. Unfortunately any photos of the plane available are black and white. Most builds of this plane are bare metal with green spots, however from the photos of the plane the nose ring is bare metal and there is a clear delineation between it and the upper surface colour. Any colour photos of the type in similar camo are green on green. So I reckon the green on green is much more plausible than the green on bare metal finish. And then of course it's my model and as long as I'm happy with the build that's all that counts :)

Anyhow, I think it looks well and it is all set for a May completion.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Spent a while on this over the weekend. Painted the nose ring. Added some (very rudimentary) interior detail, the remainder of the fins and missile pylons, as well as the data probe. I was going to fit the supplied missiles but decided at the last minute to scratch a replacement pair as the kit ones were awful. Overall looking well, although I think I'll go at the dark green again as the stippled on spots are just a bit too ragged looking. Also a bit torn with the canopy as although it's now back to shiny it isn't all that clear. If I have the time I may try molding a replacement.

Posted Image

Last major job is a new shock cone, which is proving tricky.

Still nearly there, just need to fix the camo, attach the shock cone, missiles and drop tank, decals and it's done.

Finished Builds:

Dermot
Member Avatar

Nice one and getting there! The mods are worth it.

I found that a little make-up brush sponge (with a sponge at each end) is fairly good in this scale for mottle-like effects. Or any kind of small sponge dipped in paint. Takes a bit of time to build up the effect though, as the sponge loves to soak up paint.

Dermot

Gallery of my Completed Builds

On the Bench - 1/72 Airfix HS-129 Tank buster

Posted Image

Marklo
Member Avatar

Quote:

I found that a little make-up brush sponge (with a sponge at each end) is fairly good in this scale for mottle-like effects. Or any kind of small sponge dipped in paint.

That sounds like a good plan. I had been using a bristle brush cut short. I think I'll give it a sponge of the pale green first and then probably use my trusty 0000 to paint in the spots, they seem to have a fairly hard edge in the photo of the machine. What's there isn't a million miles away, just a bit inconsistent in places.
Edited by Marklo, May 14 2018, 12:55 PM.

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Posted Image
Green spots sponged back. Pointy bits added (third attempt at the shock cone, but this one worked out well, I ended up making a block of plastic card attaching it to my ALDI dremel knockoff and carefully turning it to a nice cone shape) just needs the green spots restored, some markings and a final decision on the canopy, Might make it off the bench this weekend :)

The bench needs a serious clean, may do a tidy and scrub once the Mig and the Dep are done.
Edited by Marklo, May 16 2018, 08:12 AM.

Finished Builds:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Good Morning Vietnam GB (2017-18) · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: