Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Italeri 1:72 ACH-47 Chinook Gunship
Topic Started: Jan 22 2018, 03:44 PM (2,130 Views)
Jasonb
Member Avatar

Hi all,

With the Porsche off the bench, this is next for me.

I got the idea of making this after seeing the 1:48 version built in a modelling magazine. Only 4 Chinook Gunships were ever made, and only one survived the war. It took me a while to find the 1:72 version of the kit (I don't have the room for a 1:48 Chinook!) and when I finally got it second hand it unfortunately came without instructions. But I've managed to get photos of the 1:48 kit's instructions, and the 1:72 instructions for a different version Chinook, so I'm hoping between them I'll know what goes where (and when!).

Anyhow, I pushed the boat out a little on this, and also got some PE and aftermarket decals for it. The decals actually give you both the 1:72 and 1:48 sizes.

Am hoping to get started on this in the next couple of days, with over 4 months to go, I should get it finished!

Here are some pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
On the bench -
Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F2001

Completed builds -
Click here
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Well, progress has been slow on this. I've been sick this past while, and didn't have the energy or mojo to do anything with the build.

Finally getting back to myself now, so I've started a few bits and pieces. Primed some of the internal parts, put the first coat of the internal grey colour in the cabin, and then got looking at the PE!

So far I've been struggling a bit with visualising this build and the best way to do it. The interior cabin is complicated, half of it is grey and half chromate, and I'm trying to figure out when to paint/mask. Also, the PE in the interior means I have to think of when to add it. And when the interior is done, I have to figure out how to mask it all when doing the exterior, as there are several doors/windows open (including the back ramp) with various guns sticking out of them! So far I've been feeling my way a little bit, I'm not used to having so much going on inside the model that also is accessible from the outside!

Anyhow, I have the seats primed and then got the PE on them, they have to be painted still:

Posted Image

I started work on the guns and added some PE to them:

Posted Image

You're meant to use the PE barrels too, but it quickly became apparent that it wasn't going happen. Firstly, they're 3mm wide, and that's a git to roll into a decent tube. And secondly, if you do get a tube, they're too thin to go around the existing barrel, and even the PE instructions tell you to cut off that barrel. But if you do that, and manage to make a tube out of the PE, you're left with a hollow tube with holes in it, and no barrel inside the cooling holes (if that makes sense) which I think would look crap. So, for the sake of sanity, I decided to skip the PE barrels! The single handle/trigger will be replaced by a PE dual handle, which is what these guns had, leaving it on makes it easier to hold/paint now.

Finally, as part of sussing out how to do the interior cabin, I dry fitted some of the plastic gun emplacement parts to the cabin wall, and used that to help position the PE Ammo 'table' (and dry fitted a PE Ammo Case as well). I have to get the position perfect as with a bit of luck I'll have some PE bullets going from the Case to the Gun.

Posted Image

That's it for now, I'll keep pottering away at this and see how I get on.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Joseph M

Nice work so far Jason.
Cheers
Joe M
On the bench in order of nearest to completion;
A Model 1/72 Spad A.2 Finished 24/4/18
A Z Models 1/72 Morane "WR". (Schneider race entry from 1914).
K P Models 1/72 Avia BH-3
Mark 1 Models 1/144 Gloster Gladiator
SRAM Models 1/144 SIA 7-B (Resin)
Valom Models 1144 A pair of Sopwith Pups
MSD Models 1/72 Vickers Vimy 66 Commercial
Glencoe Models 1/81 Curtiss Condor
Revell 1/72 Fokker D.VII conversion to a two seater
Curtiss Condor (added 24/4/18) 1/81
Ansaldo S.V.A 9 (added 24/4/18)

Posted Image

Posted Image

35th-Scale
Member Avatar
Sean
The PE looks very good.....especially considering the tiny scale. But you should have held out for a 1/35 version 😂
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

God, could you imagine Sean, it'd be huge! :)
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Narayan
Member Avatar
Graham
A nice start to an interesting build Jason. I didn't realise there were so few of these actually made.

Graham

Dermot
Member Avatar

Very fine work already Jason, looking good :>
Gallery of my Completed Builds

On the Bench
1/72 Monogram F-105G Wild Weasel Vietnam GB

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks lads...

Yep, only 4 made Graham. They operated in pairs, so once there was only one left it was grounded and eventually shipped back home, it's on display in the US now.

On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Barry
Member Avatar

A great choice Jason.. following with interest

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Barry...

Just a quick pic to show that progress, while slow, is ongoing!

Pretty much have the cockpit done, I just need to paint the seats and put them in place. Have a better idea about the best order of steps for the cabin too. Some of the PE from the set will probably be left off, as the instructions for the PE don't always take into consideration the instructions for the kit itself. For example, there's some PE for inside the cabin that can only be put in place after the two fuselage halves have been glued together. But then it's almost impossible to get the PE into the cabin, and even if you could, you can't paint it then as it's too late!

Anyhow, here's the view looking towards the Cockpit. It's not the best photo, but you can see the Instrument Panel, the two collective and cyclic controls and the pedals under the IP.

Posted Image

Next up is masking the inside of the fuselage halves to paint the Chromate, and then painting some Olive Drab on some bits and pieces (the wheels, undercarriage, and all the Ammo Boxes). Once the Ammo boxes are painted, they can be glued in place inside the cabin, and *then* I can close the fuselage halves.

Thanks...

Edited by Jasonb, Feb 18 2018, 11:26 PM.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Jasonb
Member Avatar

And another little bit done this evening, and the cockpit is basically finished:

Posted Image

Posted Image

As usual the macro photography shows up some issues, but all in all I'm happy enough with it. Can't decide weather to dirty it up or not, I think it's too clean and stark, but I also don't want to feck it up!
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Joseph M

Nice work Jason, great cockpit detail.
Cheers
Joe M
On the bench in order of nearest to completion;
A Model 1/72 Spad A.2 Finished 24/4/18
A Z Models 1/72 Morane "WR". (Schneider race entry from 1914).
K P Models 1/72 Avia BH-3
Mark 1 Models 1/144 Gloster Gladiator
SRAM Models 1/144 SIA 7-B (Resin)
Valom Models 1144 A pair of Sopwith Pups
MSD Models 1/72 Vickers Vimy 66 Commercial
Glencoe Models 1/81 Curtiss Condor
Revell 1/72 Fokker D.VII conversion to a two seater
Curtiss Condor (added 24/4/18) 1/81
Ansaldo S.V.A 9 (added 24/4/18)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Marklo
Member Avatar

Quote:

Can't decide weather to dirty it up or not, I think it's too clean and stark, but I also don't want to feck it up!
I always try to do my aircraft in factory finish, maybe with a little restrained weathering e.g exhaust stains where they are a trademark of a particular type. I think at this scale a little goes a long way. But then again it's down to what looks realistic/you find pleasing.

Edited by Marklo, Feb 20 2018, 11:33 AM.
On the Bench:-
Sopwith Pup scratchbuild 1:48
ARC-170 1/8something scale
Mk IV Heavy Tank 1:72

Finished Builds:
A7V Scratchbuild /Saint Chamond Scratchbuild
Airfix ME 109 /HE51 Floatplane/Mig 21/Scratchbuilt 1913 Depredussin racer

Parkadge
Member Avatar

Looks great Jason. A thin wash would get rid of the starkness and make it look "Lived in"without making it too dirty
Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks lads...

That's exactly what I did Pat, a little bit of dry-brushing and then a thin dark grey wash, and while it's subtle I'm happy with it, it's taken away the 'solid wall of clean paint' look and makes it look a little more lived in, without being too dirty.

Work has continued on this, I added some more PE at the rear of the cabin (which hopefully won't fall off when I glue it all together), and then masked it up and sprayed the Chromate. Basically, these Gunships had Grey in the cockpit and lower half of the cabin, and then Chromate on the upper half of the cabin. Here's how the cabin looks now:

Posted Image

If you look really closely you might be able to see some of the weathering on the floor of the cabin. The Chromate hasn't been weathered yet, I'm going to give it a wash too. Here's the inside of one half of the fuselage (all of which still has to be weathered):

Posted Image

And finally for now, here's an idea of how the two parts go together:

Posted Image

So far so good in my humble opinion. Next up is weathering all the Chromate to make it less clean too, and then placing everything else that has to go into the cabin before I try to close the fuselage halves. Which basically means making up 14 PE ammo boxes and then painting them and putting them in the cabin. Then, with all that PE firmly (?) in place, I can start thinking about putting the fuselage halves together!

Thanks...
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Dermot
Member Avatar

Really coming along and paint and P/E look terrific :>

Dermot
Gallery of my Completed Builds

On the Bench
1/72 Monogram F-105G Wild Weasel Vietnam GB

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Dermot,

Despite being at home all week due to a sick daughter/the snow, I didn't get much time at the bench at all.

But I did get a little more done, and the first spraying of the Olive Drab on some parts. Once again I really do love Mr. Paint for airbrushing! Anyhow, I got the 14 ammo cases done, and a couple of other bits and pieces, and the cabin is nearly finished. Here's how it looks now:

Posted Image

That's two ammo cases for each of the machine guns and four in the central console for the grenade launcher in the nose. I've decided to dirty it up a little bit more with some pigments too, but that's not done yet.

Once that is done, and I've touched up the paint a little here and there, the next step is figuring out the best way of masking the various windows/holes etc., and then trying to get the fuselage halves closed. And then spend the rest of the build hoping something doesn't come lose inside the fuselage, I'd be able to get it out, but I wouldn't be able to get it back in again!

Thanks...
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Manxman
Member Avatar

Jason, that is looking very nice and I'm sure everything inside is secure.

On the windows have you tried Vallejo Liquid mask. I use it all the time. it very easy to apply and remove and can stay on for extended period without causing issues and still comes off the same as if left on a day or two.

Ok it takes time to set rather tape and the model section you masking must be kept still while it does but you cant go wrong with it I think.
Pete

On the bench - What isn't 😀

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Pete. I wish I was so sure! :)

I presume the liquid mask works by spreading it onto the windows once they're in place? That would work for the 6 'round' windows, but in the four square windows (this is beginning to sound like Play School!) there is no 'glass', they're just open, so there's nothing for the liquid mask to attach too.

The round windows are added from the outside, so I'm currently planning to put tape on the inside of all the windows before I close the fuselage sides, which means there'll be no tape on the outside, leaving edges to the paint etc. Then, when it's all painted, the tricky part is getting the tape loose enough, and then pulling it out through the window. Then I can glue the 6 round windows in place. I think it'll be doable...
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Manxman
Member Avatar

Ah sorry Jason I though you meant just the glasses windows especially the round ones.

But the tape on the inside works well as did similar on the LAV build.
Pete

On the bench - What isn't 😀

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Good Morning Vietnam GB (2017-18) · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: