Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Italeri 1:72 ACH-47 Chinook Gunship
Topic Started: Jan 22 2018, 03:44 PM (2,676 Views)
Jasonb
Member Avatar

Well, it's slowly taking shape...

I used some pastels on the cabin and it's now basically finished. Two different 'shelves' holding Ammo crates have already fallen off and been re-glued, I can only hope it doesn't happen when it's all sealed up and I can't get at it!

Here's how the finished cabin looks:

Posted Image

I also masked up all the open windows, and used Micro Kristal Klear to block all the holes for the radio aerials, which for some reason they've drilled all the way through the fuselage side. Here's how the fuselage halves looked:

Posted Image

With that done, I bit the bullet and started to glue the cabin to one half of the fuselage. I did the front first, then the back, and then the middle a little bit:

Posted Image

Posted Image

So far so good! I've just started to glue the other fuselage halve to the cabin, the front is drying as I type. Should get the back done this evening too, and with look tomorrow night I can actually start to glue the fuselage halves to themselves. But it's effectively closed up now (though there is a rear door that will be open), so no more work can happen inside the cabin. Finally, it only took a month!
On the bench -
Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F2001

Completed builds -
Click here
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Parkadge
Member Avatar

It looks very well and it'll be interesting to see what can be seen of the interior when finished. is there a ramp gunner?
Will we be able to see in that way.

Oh and also will there be a crew?

Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Pat! No crew at all, but the rear ramp will be down (with a gun on it) so the inside can be seen from there, or from the open windows for the side gunners...
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Quick update... Had today off, so got some more work done on this. Still a lot of filling/sanding to do, and I still have to do the canopy as well, but it's taking shape...

Posted Image
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Narayan
Member Avatar
Graham
That's coming along nicely Jason. I particularly like the cabin detail, very nice.

Graham
Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Graham.

Unfortunately I managed to crack the windscreen, so I'm waiting to hear from Italeri about getting a replacement. There are a few small bits and pieces I can work on, but I won't be getting near priming until I have a windscreen... :(
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

des byrne
Member Avatar
des Byrne
Nice work Jay pity about the windscreen hopefully you get it sorted soon
Posted Image

Marklo
Member Avatar

Quote:

Unfortunately I managed to crack the windscreen
Battle damage? just add some bullet holes :)

Lovely work so far.
On the Bench:-
Sopwith Pup scratchbuild 1:48
1:48 Albatross DI

Finished Builds:
A7V Scratchbuild /Saint Chamond Scratchbuild/Mk IV Heavy Tank
Airfix ME 109/HE51 Floatplane/Mig 21/Scratchbuilt 1913 Depredussin racer/ARC-170/BE2c Nightfighter/Airfix 1:72 Fokker EIII

brosallman

I really liked how you masked the open windows! nice idea. one I taking for myself :) :) Thanks!
Pablo

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks lads... Had thought about that Marlo, but I wouldn’t be able to pull it off!

The masking tape on the inside of the fuselage only works brosallman because the glass parts are fitted from the outside. Of course, I’m assuming it’ll work, I could end up with a cabin full of masking tape if I can’t get all of it off from the outside!
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Jasonb
Member Avatar

I was away for the weekend, but got a little done today. Firstly, some good news, a replacement canopy is on its way to me from Italeri for €5 including shipping, so that's not too bad. I just need to not feck up this one too!

While waiting for that, there are several small jobs to do. Firstly, I got more of the engines done, and added various PE grills to the airframe:

Posted Image

I still have to add the weapons pylons, and after that there's not a lot more I can do until I have the canopy. I have PE mesh to go around the front of the engines as well, but as it will have to be a nice uniform cone shape, I'm not certain how well they'll turn out. Thankfully, it can be built with or without them (though like most PE, it'll look much better if they work out!).

After that I painted all the guns, and also cut off the single handles from the machine guns and added the PE dual handles. Here's a dry-fit of how the rear ramp will look, it still needs more paint etc. so it's a bit rough. There's also the option of a belt of bullets from the ammo crates to the gun, but they're so small I'm not sure if I'll use them or not, as they need to have some paint on them, and it's almost impossible to get that paint looking uniform and smooth...

Posted Image

Once that's finished, and the dual handles are painted on the rest of the machine guns, I'll look at those pylons, and also the undercarriage/wheels and rocket pods. If, after that, the canopy still hasn't arrived, I may as well get started on the rotors. I'll be leaving them unglued, so that the kit can be moved easily. Thankfully the kit is designed so you can leave them that way if you want.

Thanks...
Edited by Jasonb, Mar 19 2018, 11:15 PM.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Manxman
Member Avatar

Nice progress Jason, coming together well.

With your window masking a good pair of tweezers and a toothpick and you'll get it off and out easily. Just get hold of one side with the tweezer before pushing it all off with the toothpick and it then just pulls out.
Pete

On the bench - What isn't 😀

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

That's what I'm hoping Pete!

Got a little bit more done. I'm at the stage now where I've almost run out of things to do until I get the canopy and can therefore prime the airframe. So I've now got the guns done, and the undercarriage (only 4 pieces and no gluing!) and I'm nearly finished the wheels. Pretty much everything is on the airframe now, bar some aerials (and the canopy of course). Here's how it looks, with the guns beside it...

Posted Image

Just gonna finish the wheels, maybe do the exhausts (they can be painted separately and added at the end) and then I might look at the rotor assemblies, I'll see.

Thanks...
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Parkadge
Member Avatar

Good work Jason. Frustrating to have to wait for the canopy
Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Pat... Not quite frustrating yet, it will be once I've nothing left to do. And even more so 'cos I can't prime until I have it, and I'm sure the primer will show up lots of things to do...
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Jasonb
Member Avatar

I decided to try the PE engine intake filters.

I managed to get one of them curved fairly well, and dry-fitting it in place. Here's how it looks:

Posted Image

Not too bad, with a bit of adjusting it would give a half-decent fit around the cone. However, here's how it is from the back:

Posted Image

It's just far too big! No way to get the rear circle to fit flush to the engine cover at all. It can't go back any further due to the engine mount which the PE is up against, so I don't see how it would fit really. Looking at pics online, it's meant to be wider than the engine cover, but it's also meant to be covered at the rear of the PE/filter with another filter that goes from the edge of the cone filter straight down to the engine cover. That doesn't come with the PE, so it just looks silly without it, like it's hanging loose there.

So I reckon I'll leave it off, it was optional anyhow as the aircraft were in active duty before and after they were fitted.

As it happens, the latest picture I can find of the aircraft I'm building doesn't have these engine filters on, so that makes it an even better decision to leave them off...
Edited by Jasonb, Mar 24 2018, 11:09 PM.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Manxman
Member Avatar

Progressing well there Jason.

Shame the filter didn't come with the descending disc as you made a good job shaping the rest.
Pete

On the bench - What isn't 😀

Posted Image

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Pete, at least it's ok to leave it off!

I've being doing little jobs here and there, but nothing major. Got the rotor heads painted today:

Posted Image

And that's basically all I can do now until the Canopy arrives, hopefully this week. Once I have it, I can mask it and paint it up, and then add it to the airframe, mask up the rear door and then the primer can go on.

Thanks...
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Narayan
Member Avatar
Graham
Great progress so far Jason.

Graham
Posted Image

Joseph M

Nice one Jason, coming together very well.
Cheers
Joe M
On the bench in order of nearest to completion;
A Model 1/72 Spad A.2 Finished 24/4/18
A Z Models 1/72 Morane "WR". (Schneider race entry from 1914).
K P Models 1/72 Avia BH-3
Mark 1 Models 1/144 Gloster Gladiator Finished 1/7/8
SRAM Models 1/144 SIA 7-B (Resin)
Valom Models 1144 A pair of Sopwith Pups
MSD Models 1/72 Vickers Vimy 66 Commercial
Revell 1/72 Fokker D.VII conversion to a two seater
Curtiss Condor (added 24/4/18) 1/81
Ansaldo S.V.A 9 (added 24/4/18)

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Good Morning Vietnam GB (2017-18) · Next Topic »
Add Reply