Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Italeri 1:72 ACH-47 Chinook Gunship
Topic Started: Jan 22 2018, 03:44 PM (2,131 Views)
Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Joe...

Decals are done. Not very successfully unfortunately. The kit ones, as expected, were terrible, and most of them disintegrated the moment they got wet. I managed to get a couple of the larger access panels markers on, but that was it. The Guns a Go Go decals (all 6 of them) were decent, but I managed to get one of the 'United States Army' decals stuck to my finger and that ended up wrecked. I tried the version of those decals that came with the kit, and they just disintegrated, so in the end I had to remove the other 'United States Army' decal, and leave it bare. Not a lot I can do about that unfortunately...
On the bench -
Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F2001

Completed builds -
Click here
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Parkadge
Member Avatar

Jasonb
May 10 2018, 10:45 PM
I managed to get one of the 'United States Army' decals stuck to my finger and that ended up wrecked. I tried the version of those decals that came with the kit, and they just disintegrated, so in the end I had to remove the other 'United States Army' decal, and leave it bare. Not a lot I can do about that unfortunately...

Maybe someone has spare US army decals. Put A post up with a pic of what they look like
Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I realize I can’t leave it bare, so will try to get my hands on replacements, though it might delay the build ‘til after the end of the GB!
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Parkadge
May 11 2018, 12:03 AM
Jasonb
May 10 2018, 10:45 PM
I managed to get one of the 'United States Army' decals stuck to my finger and that ended up wrecked. I tried the version of those decals that came with the kit, and they just disintegrated, so in the end I had to remove the other 'United States Army' decal, and leave it bare. Not a lot I can do about that unfortunately...

Maybe someone has spare US army decals. Put A post up with a pic of what they look like
Just saw your message now Pat, thanks.

What I’m missing are the words ‘United States Army’ in dark grey or black on both sides of the fuselage. You can see it clearly in this pic...

Chinook

Thanks...
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Replacement decals are on the way, thanks Vincent! :)
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Parkadge
Member Avatar

Jasonb
May 11 2018, 02:25 PM
Replacement decals are on the way, thanks Vincent! :)

Brilliant- now be careful with them :D

Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Well, Vincent's welcome donations of decals did the trick. They were from the old Matchbox kit and when I wet them I was a bit worried, especially as I had to wipe off a yellow residue from them. But they're made of strong stuff and survivied the process and are now on the model.

All going well I'll get the second gloss coat done tonight. Then it's on to the weathering. Just over 2 weeks left..
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Dermot
Member Avatar

Nice one Jason and you'll get there.

Closing date has been edited and this GB will wrap up on Monday 4th June at 23:59 GMT...........unless our GB leader who's MIA wants to grant an extension!
Gallery of my Completed Builds

On the Bench
1/72 Monogram F-105G Wild Weasel Vietnam GB

Jasonb
Member Avatar

An extra day, thanks Dermot! :)

Finally got the decals done, did my best to get rid of the silvering as much as I could, but it was at the stage where the decals were starting to peel off the model, so I had to leave well enough alone! Here's how it looks now, with the second gloss coat drying...

Posted Image

I've also started some weathering on the rotors, just a oil dot mix that I'll streak in a few mins which will hopefully add some layers to the rotors. I'll do the same to the airframe (hopefully tomorrow) when the gloss coat dries...

Posted Image
Edited by Jasonb, May 16 2018, 09:46 PM.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Ah, the 'what the f**k have I done' stage... :)

Posted Image
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

des byrne
Member Avatar
des Byrne
Looks well Jason the oil paints dots will look great when done I take you'll be streaking them and blending it'll give a great effect plus will clean up grand if it goes wrong I'm looking forward to see the finished look great stuff

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Des. Didn’t work as well as I’d hoped actually. Think the model was too glossy, so instead of streaks/blending it kinds turned into a bit of a wash. But it’s ok, I’ll look at it tomorrow and see how I feel about it. Like you say, the oils will give me some wriggle room to clean them up a bit if needed.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Another update, I'm getting there!

As I said, the Oil weathering didn't go as planned, probably due to a surface that was too glossy and using Liquin to help the oils dry faster, which also meant the oils were a bit less viscous than usual. All that meant I did more of a sludge wash than some blending and streaking! Ah well, live and learn. At least the Chinooks weren't clean in Combat, so I'm going with it. I got a panel wash done with Oils too, Van Dyke Brown was the colour I used.

Here's how it looked after the oils and panel wash:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I got the matt coat done tonight, and here are a couple of pics with it still drying...

Posted Image

Posted Image

As usual, the matt coat has brought out the panel wash a bit more, which I'm happy with.

There's still a good bit to do. I've to unmask everything, so I'll see if my plan of putting the masks *inside* the windows worked or not! I've almost forgotten what the inside looks like. Then I've lots to stick on, the windows themselves, the undercarriage, exhausts, rocket pods, rear ramp, all the cannons, the aerials etc. The rotors have to go on too of course, but they're always just going to be just dry fitted to allow easier transport. And I still plan to do a bit more weathering with pastels. So a lot to do, but with 11 days left, and I've Monday off too, I should be fine.

Thanks...
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Dermot
Member Avatar

Looks great Jason and the weathering is excellent.

Dermot

On the Bench

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Dermot!

Well, this is probably the last update before I finish, unless something goes wrong! :)

I got all the masks off, and the masking tape inside the windows actually worked fairly well. However, I managed to knock out one of the PE Ammo Shelves while removing one of the masks. I wasn't looking forward to trying to get it back in again, as my only access was the rear ramp and through the small windows, but in the end I got lucky and it seemed to work on my first attempt, so it's back in there again. I say 'seemed' as I'm worried that if I jostle the model too much at all, it'll just knock it lose again!

Apart from fixing the shelf, I've done some little jobs, touching up the paint near the masks, and it's now standing on its own legs (though not the wheels themselves yet - that's next). I got the rocket pods added too, and add a bit more oil weathering to the gun mounts, which, after unmasking, looked far too clean compared to the outside!

So this is how it looks now:

Posted Image

Lots of little jobs left to do:

Wheels
Rear Ramp
More Weathering
Guns
Various Aerials/Vanes/Pitot Tubes etc.
Wipers (PE)
Windows

and that's about it I think! I have tomorrow off, ideally I'll actually get it finished, but if I don't I'll be close enough to it being done, with a week left.

Thanks...
Edited by Jasonb, May 27 2018, 10:17 PM.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Dermot
Member Avatar

Looking great Jason, nice one.

Closing date has been extended by 2 weeks so you have until 18 June now.

Cheers,
Dermot

On the Bench

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Sorry, one of these annoying 'no pics' posts!

This is actually finished. I was off yesterday, and while other stuff came up and I didn't spend the day at the bench as I'd planned, by 11pm last night it was done.

Had a last minute issue when I realised that the round windows that came with the kit aren't flush with the airframe (as they're meant to be according to online pics), but have molded frames on them. I quickly realised that while I wasn't going to cut down the frames and all that, I was going to have to paint them, as it just stood out too much. So that involved some last minute masking and spraying.

But apart from that I got it all done. Used Uschi thread for the first time, and I love it, easy to use once you get the knack and it looks the part. Definitely easier than hair, which is what I used to use! As usual with these types of builds, it gets very fiddly at the end, with lots of bits sticking off the airframe at different angles, and you have to think about where to touch and hold the model.

Anyhow, I'll get some decent pics up when I can, though it won't be easy, it's a big beast even in 1:72!
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Well, as promised, here are some more pics. It's a bit awkward to photograph, both due to its size (if you include the rotor span, you can't see any detail on the airframe!) and also its colour/weathering. I had to make the pictures rather bright, but then it loses some of its 'used' look. I suppose what I'm saying is I think it looks better in person!

Anyhow, it's taken me nearly 4 months to build this, one of my longer builds. Some parts I'm not that happy with, but other parts I am and all in all it didn't turn out too bad! It fought me a bit too, including a cracked canopy and decals that drove me mad, never mind the PE. Thanks Barry for hosting the GB and giving me the encouragement to get this done. Thanks Dermot/Simon for helping me source instructions and thanks to Vincent for supplying some spare decals when the kit ones/aftermarket ones both died!

I hope ye like it, I'll put up some pics in the gallery as well. Thanks...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

Dermot
Member Avatar

Great build Jason and love the paintwork finish.

Dermot

On the Bench

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Thanks Dermot!
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Good Morning Vietnam GB (2017-18) · Next Topic »
Add Reply