Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Tamiya paints
Topic Started: Feb 20 2018, 01:31 PM (836 Views)
sawilson2003

Hi I just received my first batch of Tamiya paints, I have been using Vajello and brush painting. Tried the Tamiya ones out last night on a 1/35 figure and my first impressions weren't great, paint it on and if i went to apply a little more it seemed to uncover what was already there.

Anyone any tips on using them, might just be that i need to get used to them.

Thanks
Stephen
On the Bench:
1/72 Messerschmitt bf 109
1/72 Aston Martin DB 5 (Joint build with my 10yo Son, his first build)

Stephen
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Barry
Member Avatar

I find you must prime first when using tamiya stephen

sawilson2003

ah now that could have been the issue, was just testing them, will see how they go on a primed figure..thanks Barry
On the Bench:

Stephen

Marklo
Member Avatar

I also brush paint and I've been transitioning to Tamiya acrylics of late because I find they're much better than Humbrol (which I used initially in favor of my historical collection of various makes of enamel) . I find with the lighter coloured acrylics (humbrol white, Tamiya Deck Tan) if you repaint an area the original coat can dissolve and I end up having to work it back to smooth with the brush. It only seems to be the case with certain colours, notably the deck tan I'm using on the Deperdussin. I used Tamiya field grey on the A7V and despite many recoats didn't see any issues.
Edited by Marklo, Feb 20 2018, 03:34 PM.
On the Bench:-
Sopwith Pup scratchbuild 1:48
1913 Depredussin racer 1:32 Scratchbuild
Ancient Heller Mig 21 (found slightly butchered in stash, being resurrected as a north Vietnamese 21pf) 1:72

Finished Builds:
A7V Scratchbuild /Saint Chamond Scratchbuild
Airfix ME 109 /HE51 Floatplane

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Hi Stephen,

I used Tamiya for brush painting for a while and I definitely struggled with them. I used their own thinners (which also has a retarder in it) as otherwise it started to dry too quickly and I wouldn't get a smooth coat (and sometimes the brush would lift up paint, as you say, I think due to the paint on the brush drying). But I found it very awkward, I was practically dipping the brush in thinners and then into the paint every time.

I then moved on to Revell Aqua Colour which I find far superior for brush painting, they go on a lot better. You still have to thin (I used Winsor and Newton Acrylic Flow Improver), but you can just put some of the Flow Improver into the Revell jar and give it a good shake and then off you go. Much smoother painting and much smoother coats.

However, if you plan to use an airbrush, the Revell's don't really spray that well, and I've heard the Tamiya's spray great. So really it comes down to a few different factors, but I couldn't stand the hassle and effort of getting good results brush painting Tamiya paints...

P.S. Barry's right, you really need Primer, no matter what paint you're using. Halfords do a 'Grey Primer' that's about €11 for a 500ml rattle can that's really easy to use and works well. Don't bother getting the smaller 'Plastic Primer' one, the standard larger Primer can is just fine.
Edited by Jasonb, Feb 20 2018, 06:01 PM.
On the bench -
Italeri 1:72 ACH-47 Chinook Gunship

Completed builds -
Click here

Prenton
Member Avatar

I would agree with Jason - Tamiya can be a PITA for brush painting, but is one of the best you can get for airbrushing. (I personally tend to use Vallejo for brush painting.)

Philip
Edited by Prenton, Feb 21 2018, 01:08 AM.
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

des byrne
Member Avatar
des Byrne
I've used tamiya for brush painting as well and found it terrible I use vallejo mostly but I've use vallejo retarder in tamiya paint just the other day and it seems to have worked well no paint lifting off when second coating
You should give it a try if you have some

Parkadge
Member Avatar

The general consensus in any model forum I've been on is that Tamiya paints are not good to brush paint with

Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

Marklo
Member Avatar

Quote:

The general consensus in any model forum I've been on is that Tamiya paints are not good to brush paint with

Pat, which ones would be considered the best for Brush painting.

I have a load of legacy enamels (Humbrol, Compucolour, Xtracolor, Revell even Testors) most of these paint well but I'm comitted to going over to Acrylics 100% (they're much lower odor and being able to wash brushes with water is easier to live with) so I only use these for specific camo colours (E.g I happen to have most RLM colours in either Compucolour or Xtracolor)

Since I have started back I've mostly bought Humbrol acrylics (which I find vary quite considerably) and Tamiya acrylics (ditto) I've also used a few revel paints that came with kits. Overall I haven't a clear favorite, but I have noticed that certain hues e.g. yellows, ochres or browns are terrible in all three brands. Most other colours are fine regardless of make.
Edited by Marklo, Feb 21 2018, 09:01 AM.
Ancient Heller Mig 21 (found slightly butchered in stash, being resurrected as a north Vietnamese 21pf) 1:72

Finished Builds:

Marklo
Member Avatar

Was over on Britmodeller and happened on this thread I've never even heard of AK interactive, any suggestions?

Finished Builds:

Manxman
Member Avatar

If you looking at brush painting you can't go wrong with Vallejo I find. You can use any of their paints easily for airbrushing or brush painting. If I'm airbrushing with Vallejo Air I tend to thin with a ratio of 2.1 paint to thinner, brush painting with the Air I use straight out of the bottle. If using the model colour range it more 1.2 or higher paint to thinner for airbrushing and 1.1 or higher for the brush painting. But saying that I do tend to have a preference to lay down a few of what could be described as transparent coats this way to build up the final opaque colour without covering any details.

Another one I am just starting to use are Ammo with same technique and pretty much getting the same results so far.
Pete

On the bench - What isn't 😀

Posted Image

sawilson2003

Thanks for all the advise, I do have a good amount of the Vajello paints but mainly Uniform colours, and yes they brush paint very well (I dont thin them, but then have never tried) Bought the Tamiya to get the Aircraft colours I need, I will experiment with them a bit and see what happens, if not I guess i might have to invest in an Airbrush ;)
On the Bench:

Stephen

Parkadge
Member Avatar

Marklo
Feb 21 2018, 09:00 AM
Quote:

Pat, which ones would be considered the best for Brush painting.

I use a mixture of acrylics and enamels (I have a very poor sense of smell so I don't mind odour)

I've built up a supply of Vallejo and humbrol acrylics so I haven't bought any new paint in a while.

I prime everything with rattlecans- halford grey or army painter white and thin even for brush painting.

Brush painting acrylics is a different skill set tgan enamels. It's about building up layers to get coverage
Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

Marklo
Member Avatar

Me, a credit card and the internet ; a dangerous combination :)

After reading a few reviews, I found the AK Interactive Website and ordered the following (very nice site particularly liked the downloads section, lots of free guides)

Order details
PRODUCTTOTAL
Deck Tan × 1 2,30€
APC Interior Green FS 24533 × 1 2,30€
Pure Blue × 1 2,30€
Pale Sand × 1 2,30€
WW1 RFC & RNAS AIRCRAFT COLORS × 1 9,20€

Shipping is only free if you buy €70 worth, so I ended up paying €16 on a courier still, works out at €4.25 each including shipping (the RFC set has 4 colours). The trick here would probably be to group together and order €70 of stuff.

That covers everything I'll have on the bench until at least the end of the year. (goes without saying ) I will let everyone know how I get on...
Edited by Marklo, Feb 21 2018, 11:45 AM.

Finished Builds:

sawilson2003

Marklo
Feb 21 2018, 11:44 AM
Me, a credit card and the internet ; a dangerous combination :)

After reading a few reviews, I found the AK Interactive Website and ordered the following (very nice site particularly liked the downloads section, lots of free guides)

Order details
PRODUCTTOTAL
Deck Tan × 1 2,30€
APC Interior Green FS 24533 × 1 2,30€
Pure Blue × 1 2,30€
Pale Sand × 1 2,30€
WW1 RFC & RNAS AIRCRAFT COLORS × 1 9,20€

Shipping is only free if you buy €70 worth, so I ended up paying €16 on a courier still, works out at €4.25 each including shipping (the RFC set has 4 colours). The trick here would probably be to group together and order €70 of stuff.

That covers everything I'll have on the bench until at least the end of the year. (goes without saying ) I will let everyone know how I get on...
My problem would have been I would spend the €70 to get the free shipping :O
On the Bench:

Stephen

Marklo
Member Avatar

Quote:

My problem would have been I would spend the €70 to get the free shipping :O

Frankly I was this close :)

Finished Builds:

Dermot
Member Avatar

I've always been happy with the results i got with Revell Acrylics, thinned with water and some flow improver added.
Some of the colours need a bit more care than others to brush but generally they behave themselves.
Have only tried a couple of Vallejo by brush but would agree with Pete's comments as well.

I think the best thing to help my finish was to invest in some decent wide, flat brushes and to be patient in applying a couple of coats of paint.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with the AK range.

Cheers,
Dermot
Gallery of my Completed Builds

On the Bench
1/72 Monogram F-105G Wild Weasel Vietnam GB
1/72 Esci AV-8A Harrier

Marklo
Member Avatar

Quote:

I think the best thing to help my finish was to invest in some decent wide, flat brushes and to be patient in applying a couple of coats of paint.
Funnily enough I've taken to using synthetic bristle and as wide a brush as I can get (I'm actually using a 1/4" brush on the Deperdussin, now I do also own at least one 0000 brush) with slow even strokes (stop sniggering at the back :) ) and get reasonable results with both Humbrol and Tamiya. Whereas i used to prefer sable brushes but they don't actually work that well for acrylics.
Edited by Marklo, Feb 21 2018, 02:05 PM.

Finished Builds:

Prenton
Member Avatar

Likewise - I will be interested on seeing how you get on with the AK range of normal paints. I have recently used their super metallics, which are really excellent - better than Alclad and all the others, IMHO - I spotted them due to a test session done by Phil Flory on one of his youtube videos last year - he recommended them.

Philip
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

stephen8718
Member Avatar

Marklo regarding AK Interactive and the 70 Euro limit. what i have done the last 2 years is wait til the Black Friday sale and order over 70 Euro worth of stuff at 25% off and get the free shipping. At the moment i am only using their Armed forces sets for brush painting my 1/16 figures as i do all my Aircraft and AFVs in enamels .

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Hints & Tips, Tools & Resources · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: