Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Canopy scratch removal
Topic Started: Mar 2 2018, 09:17 PM (435 Views)
cyclonus

Any tips or advice on removing a scratch from an aircraft canopy?.any and all advice would me most appreciated. Thanks.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jasonb
Member Avatar

Basically, you need to sand it out, starting with a heavier grade and slowly working up the grades until you get it nice and clear again. There's a range of Micro-mesh polishing cloths from Alclad that are really good for this, going from 3600 to 12000 grade.

It's one of those jobs that makes it worse at first, but if you stick at it then it does get better. I believe I read somewhere that it's a good idea to alternate the direction of the sanding (so, for the 3600 grade, go North/South, for the next grade, go East/West, and then back again for the next one). No idea why this is recommended (or why it's also recommended NOT to sand in a circular motion), but I've read it in a few different places.

Once you've got it decent again with the highest grade, a dip in some Future/Klear should hopefully finish the job off.

Hope that helps...
Edited by Jasonb, Mar 2 2018, 09:47 PM.
On the bench -
Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F2001

Completed builds -
Click here

cyclonus

thanks for that Jason.i wil give it a try.much appreciated

Marklo
Member Avatar

Toothpaste also works(it's a mild abrasive apparently), again withs lots of patient polishing.
On the Bench:-
BE2c Nightfighter 1:72
Sopwith Pup scratchbuild 1:48

Finished Builds:
A7V Scratchbuild /Saint Chamond Scratchbuild/Mk IV Heavy Tank
Airfix ME 109 /HE51 Floatplane/Mig 21/Scratchbuilt 1913 Depredussin racer/ ARC-170

cyclonus

Marklo
Mar 4 2018, 04:11 AM
Toothpaste also works(it's a mild abrasive apparently), again withs lots of patient polishing.
Thanks for that tip Marklo.would never even thought of that.much appreciated.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Hints & Tips, Tools & Resources · Next Topic »
Add Reply