Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
sd.kfz 251/22; AFV Club - be afraid, be very afraid
Topic Started: Apr 30 2018, 07:15 PM (149 Views)
Parkadge
Member Avatar

It took me a long time and lots of glue to realize that when kit parts don't fit for me it is usually my fault. However not in this case. I had read warnings about this kit but since it's the only 251 I have and I wanted to take part in a group build on the Panzer Page on FB I thought I'd use it to sharpen up my modelling skills- what doesn't kill you makes you stronger right?

It also showed me how useless in the box reviews are- there are countless such glowing reviews of this kit - it's only when you get to the build reviews on YouTube and the like that the truth comes out.

Posted Image2018-04-29_03-42-25

Posted Image2018-04-29_03-42-05

Posted Image2018-04-29_03-41-44

Posted Image2018-04-29_03-40-55

The top hull is too short for the bottom but luckily another modeller had been there before and advised making it fit at the front where there more angles which just leaves one gap to fill at the rear. Lots of other fit issues and pieces to trim. The mounting of the gun doesn't fit without surgery and the gun doesn't fit the mount without more surgery.

Posted Image2018-04-29_03-39-06

The two part gun shield is a nightmare to fit- it's recommended that you place the inner shield on, build the rest of the gun and then fit the outer shield but I couldn't see that happening so I did it after assembling most of the gun. The instructions show holes in the gunshield for location tabs but there were none

Posted Image20180423_115052

Posted Image20180423_100921_001

Posted Image2018-04-29_03-38-35

but the two part shield really looks the part when done

Posted Image20180424_110254

Posted Image20180427_135251

Posted Image20180427_135321

Posted Image20180427_135357

The decals crumbled when I tried to use them so I used some from the spares box

Nearly there, the side lockers needed a lot of fettling to fit (Surprise surprise)

I have all the suspension wheels assembled and painted so onwards to that now

Edited by Parkadge, Apr 30 2018, 07:18 PM.
Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Marklo
Member Avatar

For all that it might be a difficult kit, it looks amazing. Lovely work Pat.
On the Bench:-
Sopwith Pup scratchbuild 1:48
1913 Depredussin racer 1:32 Scratchbuild
Ancient Heller Mig 21 (found slightly butchered in stash, being resurrected as a north Vietnamese 21pf) 1:72

Finished Builds:
A7V Scratchbuild /Saint Chamond Scratchbuild
Airfix ME 109 /HE51 Floatplane

Dermot
Member Avatar

Liking this one Pat - must have been some recoil off that gun.

Dermot
Gallery of my Completed Builds

On the Bench
1/72 Monogram F-105G Wild Weasel Vietnam GB

fs2005
Member Avatar

Nice build Pat , I like the different camo on the gun .Dermot, Hilary Doyle said at IPMSS Sturm Tiger crews could only fire one shot as they were left dazed and deafened .If it wasn’t fired from around 2-3km the crew were sometimes inside the blast radius ( lethal at 500m) so it was useless for intended street fighting role .Id say the 75mm would be mild enough by comparison although it’s mad to think it was in the Hs129 .Must have taken a fair chunk of speed when fired as I read once that the Yak fighters with 37mm ( and 45mm ?) slowed down loads under recoil )
So Pat how will you tackle those rubber rims ? Freehand by brush with thinned paint ?The wheel cutouts make it look hard to get masks to stick .Some use blutack but you’d be fairly sick if it was left inside the holes !
I think the first few lines of Pats post could be the manifesto /epitaph etc of Most modellers !(Prologue to ‘Small Pladtic Wars II ‘?!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Parkadge
Member Avatar

Dermot
May 1 2018, 04:14 PM
Liking this one Pat - must have been some recoil off that gun.

Dermot

Yeah I'd say if you were a passenger it'd make your teeth rattle
Pat McGrath

Parkadge
Member Avatar

fs2005
May 11 2018, 02:58 PM

So Pat how will you tackle those rubber rims ? Freehand by brush with thinned paint ?The wheel cutouts make it look hard to get masks to stick .Some use blutack but you’d be fairly sick if it was left inside the holes !
I think the first few lines of Pats post could be the manifesto /epitaph etc of Most modellers !(Prologue to ‘Small Pladtic Wars II ‘?!)

Yeah free hand and tidy up mistakes afterward although I know I have a set of quickwheels masks somewhere that enable you to spray everything black and then mask the tires and overspray the wheel colour
Pat McGrath

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Motor Pool · Next Topic »
Add Reply