Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Me 410; Revell 1/48 Restoration
Topic Started: May 15 2018, 02:09 PM (134 Views)
garcor
Member Avatar

Hello everyone,

I couldnt decide which kit to build next so I thought I would freshen up an older build.

This is the Revell 1/48 Me410 from 1997. Bought and built in the same weekend.
Posted Image

Considering it had spent over 15 years in my parents attic and then garage its not looking too bad.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some of the smaller bits were removed to avoid breaking them.
Posted Image

It was then popped into the sink, covered with a good coat of Mr Muscle oven cleaner and left for about an hour.
I must have used some serious stuff painting this one because I had to repeat the process another 2 times but eventually it was back to bare plastic.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I left it dry off for a few hours , pegged to the clothes line... Well it was a nice day.. B-)

I had previously bought a set of decals from ebay a few months ago they were going cheap, sure I coudnt leave them... :>
Posted Image

Im planning on Yellow 5
Posted Image

Next day it was time for paint,
I used Vallejo Modelair RLM 74/75 & 76.

Posted Image
Yes there is a 410 admidst the clutter! :O

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My phone is having trouble with the focus, apologies

Posted Image

Im not entirly happy with Vallejo colours, they just dont look right to me, The Green is very dark almost black green and the grey is very green very close to RLM 02!
mmm I have a set of Lifecolor RLM colours which are very nice , might try something with them.. ;)

Till later! :wave:
All the best
Gary
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

stephen8718
Member Avatar

Looking very good so far Gary. i have one on the bench beside me to start in the next few weeks. hope it looks as good as that one.

garcor
Member Avatar

Hello again,
Thanks Stephen,
from what I remember its a nice kit to build. Looking forward to seeing your completed.
If you want any more markings for yours drop me a line, there are a load left on the decal sheet, only missing the crosses and black swastika (and the markings for yellow 5 of course ;) )

I gave the top colours RLM 74& 75 a light over spray of the Lifecolor paints, its hard to see in the pictures but it gave a bit more colour to the finish.
Posted Image

The red band was masked and sprayed.
I noticed an error on the decal sheet, only one yellow 5 was included the second was white ( maybe it was misprinted). So i made a mask and sprayed the 5 on one side.
Posted Image

A couple of coats of Klear should give a nice shiny finish for the decals
Posted Image

Posted Image

Decals on and back on the bench for the next bits
Props test fitted.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So next sessions will be panel wash, shading and some weathering...

Happy Sticking :wave:
Gary

Prenton
Member Avatar

That's really nice, Gary.

are you bringing it to the Dublin Chapter meeting next Saturday? I'd love to see that mottle close up.

Philip
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Marklo
Member Avatar

Really lovely work. I used to worry about colour accuraccy until I realized that paint can vary from batch to batch and from factory to factory, ageing and weathering can also play a huge part ( IRL I actually spent a while working on a grand colour matching project complete with spectrophotometers and all, you'd be amased with how difficult it is to maintain a colour even with modern paints). These days I go with the 'if it looks right it is right' philosophy and if I'm building two of the same airforce (eg my spitfire and my Hurricane) I'll intentionally make the colours a little different by lightening or darkening one.
Edited by Marklo, May 16 2018, 08:05 AM.
On the Bench:-
Sopwith Pup scratchbuild 1:48
1913 Depredussin racer 1:32 Scratchbuild
Ancient Heller Mig 21 (found slightly butchered in stash, being resurrected as a north Vietnamese 21pf) 1:72

Finished Builds:
A7V Scratchbuild /Saint Chamond Scratchbuild
Airfix ME 109 /HE51 Floatplane

Dermot
Member Avatar

Great restoration work on that one, well done.

Dermot
Edited by Dermot, May 16 2018, 09:09 AM.
Gallery of my Completed Builds

On the Bench
1/72 Monogram F-105G Wild Weasel Vietnam GB

garcor
Member Avatar

Hello again,

Got the 410 finished,
Thanks for the comments and likes,

Philip, Ive never been a paid member of IPMS nor attended any meetings, so sorry won’t be there, I have tried to take a few closer pics to compensate.

Marklo I would agree with your “if it looks right” view with paint as even batch numbers of the same colours come out differently (Ok this can really open up a can of worms :O so will stop there… ;) )

I wasn’t happy with the colours as they appeared to me so I adjusted them a bit. Its not really picked up in the pictures but some really annoying things are… ^o)

Posted Image

Posted Image

The paint on the canopy almost seems translucent! Its because I never painted the moulded internal framing…… I'm not in the mood for taking it off and doing it again and in the cabinet it doesn’t show.
It was under the natural light that it was highlighted…

Posted Image

The wash was made from pastel chalk and water.
I mixed a few different colours, black grey for around the control surfaces, brown grey for general panel lines and dark brown grey for access panels.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Philip, this is about as close as my phone would allow, I used 4 colours for the mottel, Vallejo RLM 74&75 and Lifecolor RLM 74&75.
It was done using a badger 100 gravity airbrush, medium nozzle & needle fitted (sorry can’t remember what the actual size is)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was a bit miffed about that mark under the canopy, it’s a brush stroke from the pastel wash that I forgot to clean and sprayed matt varnish over, for ever on display….. :ermm: ^_^

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Spot the previous builds……

So thats the 410 done ...... for a few years anyway :blink: :D
More problems, whats next..... :book: and Im still avoidin that B1 :D

All the best
Gary

And after posting the pics I realise I have left off the main landing gear doors, Jees..... probably in that pile of bits on my bench.... :yawn:

des byrne
Member Avatar
des Byrne
Lovley job gar

Joseph M

Nice one Gary even though I don't see what was wrong with the original scheme.
Cheers
Joe
On the bench in order of nearest to completion;
A Model 1/72 Spad A.2 Finished 24/4/18
A Z Models 1/72 Morane "WR". (Schneider race entry from 1914).
K P Models 1/72 Avia BH-3
Mark 1 Models 1/144 Gloster Gladiator
SRAM Models 1/144 SIA 7-B (Resin)
Valom Models 1144 A pair of Sopwith Pups
MSD Models 1/72 Vickers Vimy 66 Commercial
Glencoe Models 1/81 Curtiss Condor
Revell 1/72 Fokker D.VII conversion to a two seater
Curtiss Condor (added 24/4/18) 1/81
Ansaldo S.V.A 9 (added 24/4/18)

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Airfield · Next Topic »
Add Reply