Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Mid-West Branch Meetings
Topic Started: Oct 25 2012, 05:51 PM (27,335 Views)
Admin

The Mid-West Branch typically meet on the first Saturday of every month at the Atlantic Airventure Centre in Shannon town, Co. Clare. That's located at Hogan's Cross as you come in on the old road (not the dual carriageway). Meetings are usually held in the afternoon. Please check the latest postings in this thread for updated information.

Posted Image
Edited by Admin, Aug 1 2014, 07:51 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Admin

Here are the Limerick\Shannon lads enjoying themselves on the 21st of January, 2012 in the canteen of Airventure.

Posted Image

On the 11th of March, 2012 the Limerick\Shannon branch put on a large, and impressive, display at the Irish Amateur Radio Society just outside Limerick City.

Posted Image

First the Wehrmact and followed by the Luftwaffe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Admin, Oct 25 2012, 06:11 PM.

Admin

On the 7th of April, 2012 the lads had a bit of a small meeting as they were busy sorting out details for the IPMS Ireland Nationals in September.

Posted Image

Still, they provided us with this little gem.

Posted Image

On the 25th of August, 2012 the lads set up for an open day at the Airventure centre which provided a handy dry run for setting up the competition area for the Nationals.

Posted Image

Posted Image

They also got themselves a new toy to look at; a fully functional Blackburn Buccaneer fitted with the nose of a Panavia Tornado. :wub:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Admin

Finally we have this picture, taken on October 6th, 2012.

Posted Image

Liam

Martin is the seated gentleman in the middle.

Martin flew a huge range of aircraft during the Second World War with the RAF ending the war flying Lancasters. He also flew BAC 1-11's and 737's. He brought his log-books as well and his last entry for active service in World War 2 was 'War finished. Germany kaput!'

He was very gracious to allow us to take a group shot with him. I should also mention that today ( I think he said it was today) is his 90th birthday. Many thanks to all at the Atlantic Airventure for allowing us to borrow their guest for the photo.
This is why I love this hobby and this club!

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
Our latest meeting was held on Saturday November 3rd.

Some 'old' punters couldn't make it, namely Alan and Lindsay and we have welcomed Colin and his three boys again and first time Lim/Shnn meeting attendee Martin, sorry if I got the name wrong, I believe he's known to a Dublin folk from their meetings.
We have been doing some simple plaster casting demonstration, using ordinary Plaster of Paris and some cheap plastic 'party plates' as a casting mould.
The ultimate aim of this demo is to have a number of universal unified bases for our models with range of various terrain surfaces - grass, road, tarmac, airfield concrete runway and so on - to suit most of our models. These bases will be used during our branch displays and will be there for any of Lim/Shnn member to use them when entering model to some competition.

No photos have been taken this time, but we'll keep you posted on the progress...

Our next meeting will be held in Atlantic Airventure, Shannon, on Saturday 1st of December at 1400 hours. The plan for this meeting is to:
- create terrain on our currently cast bases
- paint wooden effect on the edges
And we expect some brief talk on Telford show from Alan, Lindsay and Danny amongst many other things

Everybody's welcome
Edited by FiSe, Nov 4 2012, 10:23 AM.
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

yeehah1
Member Avatar

04 11 2012
Thanks for the demonstration Filip. Very much appreciated.

Liam
Posted Image

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
I have received message from organisers of the Cork model fair, in which they expressed gratitude to our branch for attending this fair. So, I am passing it on to all members of Limerick/Shannon Branch.
Well done and thank you for showing real team spirit and unity on which IPMS Ireland is based and on which or club should operate.

Just thought that I will post this one here, just in case I will forget to mention it on Saturday during our 'business talk' over a cup of tea...
Edited by FiSe, Nov 27 2012, 11:41 AM.
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
Last regular meeting of Limerick/Shannon Branch was busy enough, with most of the branch members in attendance.
We have continued with our 'base building skills' crash course and, as you can see from the photograph we kept busy and quiet. The 'glasshouse' area was nice and bright, warm and christmassy. We have tried simple wooden effect using oil paints and sponge, although tutor forgot to bring a drop or two of white spirit :$ , so it was slightly tougher task than it should be, but we've got there at the end.
Some of the Limerick/Shannon branch members hard at work:

Posted Image

After all the plaster of Paris bases were transformed into nice wooden ones we have tried various types of basic surfaces on the top of the bases for displaying our models.
Using hi-tech technology like sauce-pan lid, business cards and a bit of sharpened wire we have created : Grass, that was the easy one, concrete slabs and some natural field/desert finish, using ashes and PVA glue.
All of the basis are resting in warm area to get remaining trapped moisture out of the plaster, before final painting and finishing will commence:

Posted Image

Their big premiere will be during our 'Regionals' on 16th of December.

This will be as well our last club meeting before the end of the World and we'll see all survivors on our regular post-apocalypse meeting on 5th of January 2013, usual time - 14.00 - usual place - Atlantic Airventure Centre, Shannon.

All and every surviving modeller is welcome
Edited by FiSe, Dec 2 2012, 03:35 PM.
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

Opadag

Thanks Filip,
Sorry I was late and missed the mixing and spreading.
See you on the 16th
David
PS Anybody know where one can get Alclad II in the republic?
Opadag
IPMS Ireland
AMSIG

Homagerman
Member Avatar

Nice one lads, good to see some young blood in attendance.

James
To live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering.

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
Our 'Christmas Show' is on this Sunday.

...and note for all Limerick/Shannon Branch members, setting up is on Saturday from 14.00, the show itself is on Sunday from 10.00 til 17.00 ish. It's not necessary to be there all day on Sunday, but we'll have to supervise the place, you know what I mean...

Oh, our model bases are ready to be used too, can't wait to see them in action
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

35th-Scale
Member Avatar
Sean
"Christmas Show"? Is that like a panto? ;-)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Opadag

35th-Scale
Dec 14 2012, 09:28 PM
"Christmas Show"? Is that like a panto? ;-)
Sean, Yes of course it was! See the photos of some of the "actors"
Overview
Posted Image
Planes first....
Alan's big Mossie - Banff Wing
Posted Image
Another biggy... and a bit bent by the lens!
Bf-109E in 1:24
Posted Image
An old P-51D, resplendent on one of the new bases made by Filip.
Posted Image
with a beautifully painted Focke Wulf
Posted Image
And this brings back very happy memories, I remember the shocked look on my Mother's face when she saw the nose art. What was her son up to!
Posted Image
Martinsyde Buzzard M2 by Alan, nice rigging
Posted Image
Going mod - Liam's BAe Hawk
Posted Image
Now for the Trucks and AFV
Posted Image
Some sort of truck, nicely finished with lost occupants.

Edited by Opadag, Dec 15 2012, 10:36 PM.
Opadag
IPMS Ireland
AMSIG

Opadag

More coming - the nicely finished Panzer
Posted Image
Tommies out for a stroll, pub around the corner.

Posted Image

and a bit of Humour, courtesy of IPMS Austria
Posted Image
You have been warned!
Posted Image
New sign for the branch
Posted Image
a selection of the bases made by Filip during the last two meetings.
Posted Image
More tomorrow - Ships from Danny and my own ones, all Luftwaffe Nightfighters - I forgot to photograph them! A senior moment again....
Opadag
IPMS Ireland
AMSIG

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
The general misconception about the bases, they were not made by Filip, but they were made by the members of Limerick/Shannon Branch and they are branch property for use by branch members.

Nice photos though.
I didn't take any, yet, as I had to make fast retreat after 2nd chemical warfare alarm sent by my daughter.
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

Opadag

FiSe
Dec 16 2012, 10:04 AM
The general misconception about the bases, they were not made by Filip, but they were made by the members of Limerick/Shannon Branch and they are branch property for use by branch members.

Nice photos though.
I didn't take any, yet, as I had to make fast retreat after 2nd chemical warfare alarm sent by my daughter.
Another few taken on the Sunday, some on the "Club's new bases", sorry Filip.
N. Atlantic Fishing Vessels, very nicely finished.
Posted Image
A lost trooper.
Posted Image
Space Shuttle
Posted Image
B-17F "the famous one"
Posted Image
Another Hawk
Posted Image
Nicely finished Corsair
Posted Image
Now we know who the trooper above was waiting for...
Posted Image
A P-51D displaying all the benefits of Alclad 2, Very very nice smooth finish with severl light to dark colours. Awarded "Best in Show " deservedly. Well done Liam
Posted Image
Dove 201 IAC
Posted Image
One of my "oldies", in need of TLC
Posted Image
Edited by Opadag, Dec 20 2012, 07:30 PM.
Opadag
IPMS Ireland
AMSIG

Opadag

Now for a little "encouragement" to Night Fighter GB. All built at least 25+ years ago.
Ju-88G
Posted Image
Me262B-1a/U1 an Airfix kit modified using an Airmodell conversion
Posted Image
Me.110G
Posted Image
Another few coming.. have to walk the dogs!
A better view of the Geschwader.
Posted Image
Another view of the Ju-88
Posted Image
A very early Mistel, again an Airfix Ju-88, with the conversion from Airmodell for the warhead and struts for the Frog Me.109F
Posted Image
Note to Moderator: if you wish to move these as "encouragement" to the NF GB please do so.
Ju-87G - Obstlt. Rudel's acft.
Posted Image
Another view showing the He.219 in the L/H corner.
Posted Image
thats about it, as you can see there was a great turnout for the "Regional", perhaps Filip knows who/what won the "best in Display"?
Now we just have to wait another few hours to see that delights Airfix are issuing in 2013!!
Edited by Opadag, Dec 18 2012, 11:38 PM.
Opadag
IPMS Ireland
AMSIG

Prenton
Member Avatar

Opadag
Dec 18 2012, 11:24 PM
Now for a little "encouragement" to Night Fighter GB. All built at least 25+ years ago.
David

That's a lovely group of models. An encouragement to all of us to keep our kits safe, once we actually get around to finishing them...."all built at least 25+ years ago"......mmmmmmm

Many thanks for the photos. Some nice work there - some we have seen (in some cases MANY times!) but some new items we have not seen before - and good they are too!

Please make sure that the Limerick Branch brings some of this great stuff along to the branch table at D2 next October....it will be very welcome.

Philip

PS - loved your paper captions with the explanations below the models. any photos of these?
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
I will only add that the Corsair and Merkava are in 1/72 scale and are work of our juniors. Pretty good, I think and it's along way to go till October, so we should see some more skills on show by then.
And that Liam has won the best aircraft with his 'Old Crow'.

Now back to business:
Next meeting of Limerick/Shannon Branch will be on on Saturday 5th of January at 14.00 at the usual venue, Atlantic Airventure Centre in Shannon.
We are hoping to have screening of Alan's 300 photos from this year's SMW in Telford on the big screen upstairs, to have a browse through our Santa's plastic droppings, so bring your new arrivals with you and we should have some brainstorming session about our 'Modelling Munster' project over cup o'tea afterwards.

Looking forward to see yis all and, as usual, new faces are always welcome
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

Opadag

Prenton
Dec 19 2012, 12:12 AM
Opadag
Dec 18 2012, 11:24 PM
David

That's a lovely group of models. An encouragement to all of us to keep our kits safe, once we actually get around to finishing them...."all built at least 25+ years ago"......mmmmmmm

Many thanks for the photos. Some nice work there - some we have seen (in some cases MANY times!) but some new items we have not seen before - and good they are too!

Please make sure that the Limerick Branch brings some of this great stuff along to the branch table at D2 next October....it will be very welcome.

Philip

PS - loved your paper captions with the explanations below the models. any photos of these?
Hi Philip,
Starting again, thanks for the kind comments, the models are geuinely 25 year or more, and they were taken down from the attic and "dusted off" literally, I couldn't chance washing them as I was afraid of the decals coming adrift. They were made and finished before all the modern methods, no such thing as a gloss finish and varnish over the decals.
The seams and gaps plus the very noticeable badly finished joints.
While I would enjoy displaying them at the Nationals, (when and where - Filip don't kill me) but I would have to do a major "Restoration" job on all of them. A good way of "upskilling" I hear you say! and you are correct.
Then as well of these I have also re-discovered a lot of kits that were finished, some painted, but then not completed, i.e. decalling etc. These I would have to call on your skills re seams and in particular cleaning up the canopies.
I have a few which had an accident, and I would like to see them on a diorama, but I think I will need Filip's help there for ideas etc. Any ideas/feedback will be appreciated.

Re the paper captions, that was one idea that I brought home from Telford, I learnt so much from the visit to my first ever model show that I wanted to add that bit extra to just lining out the kits. While I didn't have all the exact information such as which Gruppe or etc of the Geschwader, and I would also have liked to have had time to add the IPMS logo to the L/H top corner as well to "balance" the look.
But I didn't photograph them but I have them and will scan a few and add them via photobucket for your info.

I suppose when I think about it, I won't be short of a kit to partake in the KUTA GB. One of the items I will need to get my hands on will be the appropriate decals for the various kits to finish them off.
I think an email to the IPMS Decal bank is in order, after sorting out what is really worth working on.
Paper Caption(s) FYI
Posted Image

Edited by Opadag, Dec 20 2012, 08:09 PM.
Opadag
IPMS Ireland
AMSIG

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Branch Business & Meetings · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: