Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
IAC colour schemes and paint matches
Topic Started: Nov 7 2012, 10:05 AM (7,133 Views)
roym

Please add/correct to this as you see fit.
Currently only matched to Humbrol paints.

(Key; Hu- Humbrol paint number; WOI- noted from Wings Over Ireland, D- McCarron; MD- noted from Max Decals).

Brisfit F2B/Avro 504K

• Upper: PC-10.
    3 * Hu:163 + 4 * Hu:108 + 3 * Hu:33
  • Under: Clear doped linen.
    Hu:74 or (5 * Hu:34 + 3 * Hu:103 + 2 * Hu:148)
  • Cowling

• Brisfit F2B: Grey engine cowling.
    • Avro 504K: Black engine cowling
  • Source: (MD)

RAF SE5a 1922

• Dark red fuselage.
  • Silver wings.
  • Source: (MD)

Fairey IIIF

• Silver dope/Natural metal overall.
  • Black top decking.
  • Source: (WOI)

Avro 621 Tutor

• Black Fuselage
  • Silver flying surfaces.
  • Source: (WOI)

Avro 626

DH 84 Dragon

Avro Anson 1; Gloster Gladiator

• Pre ‘Emergency’ schemes

• Green fuselage and silver wings.

• Gladiator; Anson

• I used Hu. 120 Israeli light green, but I’m not sure if this should be darker.

Westland Lysander

Miles Magister I

Supermarine Walrus

Hawker Hind

Hawker Hector

Miles Master series

Hawker Hurricane series

Lockheed Hudson

Fairey Battle

Avro Anson C19

Miles Martinet TT.I

Seafire III

Spitfire Tr.9

DeHavilland Chipmunk, DeHavilland Dove, DeHavilland Vampire T55; Percival Provost; Fouga Magister;

I find that a sprayed coat of Humbrol 27002 Polished Aluminium MetalCote, with a coat of Johnson's Klear (for sealing decals) gives a good scale representation of the silver lacquer finish these were painted with. Hu. 27001 Matt Aluminium Metalcote can also be used, with further coats of klear to reproduce a more weathered appearance. A slightly matter and greyer silver paint was noted on the leading edges of wings of Fouga 216 during it's time (in outdoor storage) at Cork Airport. Back only about 4 or 5 inches from leading edge. Fougas also had Insignia Red Hu. 153 on leading edges of air intakes. Humbrol 209 gloss Fire Orange (over a white base) for the dayglo areas. (Tip for silver finishes; best to spray the white base first, overcoat with the dayglo, then mask the dayglo areas and apply the silver. Follow with decals and Klear coat.) Matt Black Hu. 33 anti-glare panels where required

Alouette II

Alouette III and Gazelle.

Early on Alouettes were either natural metal or painted silver. Can anyone confirm which?
Later on Alouettes and Gazelles were Overall ‘Aerodour’ Grey, Humbrol 196 is a very good match.
Gazelles had red (Hu. 153 Insignia Red) panels on front and underside, but these may have been Dayglo at one point (need confirmation on this).

Puma 242

• The interior of Puma 242 in IAC service in 1982(not to be confused with the Bundesgrenzschutz machines which were flown by German Personnel in Ireland in 1979) was overall creamy grey colouring on quilted soundproofing material on the cabin walls. The troopseats down the centre of the cabin were a dark blue with blue seatbelts as were the two fold up seats on the rear cabin walls.
    The floor was a dark grey colour. There was a curtain separating the cockpit from the troop compartment and this was blue on the cockpit side and cream on the troop cabin side.
    There were some webbing straps to prevent people leaning on the rear plexiglass dome on the floor at the extreme rear of the cabin and these were white/light grey in colour. (Courtesy Joe Maxwell)
  • Exterior green, Hu. 163. Satin finish.

Aerospatiale SA365Fi Dauphin

• Grey Hu. 196.
  • Insignia red Hu. 153. (Satin to glossy finish)
  • White area on engine housing above blue stripe.
  • Satin black nose radome. (Hu. 85)

Cessna/Rhiems 172 and SIAI Marchetti

• Overall green Hu. 163, gloss coated.
  • Marchetti has dayglo orange patches.

• Hu. 209 fire orange (over a white base) or 205 Fluoroscent Matt Fire Orange (again, over a white base; this shade is discontinued).

Gulfstream Series

CASA CN235

Eurocopter AS355

Pilatus PC-9M

• Upper surfaces Hu. 127.
  • Underside Hu 196.
  • Insignia red Hu. 153 tips to wings, tailplanes and fin/rudder. Glossy finish, but in 1/72 scale a good semi-gloss gives a decent scale appearance.

• Johnsons Klear is ideal for this, as it tends to matten a little as it ages. (Old formula or new formula?)
  • As originally delivered, the upper surface grey wrapped around the leading edge of the underside of the main wing a few inches; since then the leading edges of wings have received a (matt?) black finish, which makes it look like the aircraft have rubber de-icing boots fitted, which they don't.
  • Natural metal/silver finish undercarraige.
  • Aerials under rear fuselage are white.

Eurocopter EC135

Sikorsky S-61N
Edited by AlcatrazLogan, Nov 12 2012, 12:54 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

roym

Can this be pinned as it was in the old forum?

Admin

It's been pinned and I've matched up the formatting as it was on the old forum.

Opadag

Reading some very old Scale Aircraft Model magazines, which have a lot of info on schemes in the Ian Huntley columns there is a reference by him regarding the Interior Grey/Green. Can't find it exactly right now to quote but the FS 595 colour he was quoting for interior cockpit colours was closest to FS34226 which he stated was also be used externally. Looking up the FS number it is shown as NASA Primer.
But colour wise it is not very far off the IAC Spitfire exterior colour.
Edited by Opadag, Feb 3 2014, 08:59 PM.
Opadag
IPMS Ireland
AMSIG

trpsarge

The early Allouttes were indeed painted Silver but changed to 'Boeing' grey after refurbishment by Aer Lingus. Alos wore International Orange ( Dayglo)

FiSe
Member Avatar
Heil Mickey!
Just a quick note to clarify the above post, to avoid misunderstanding:

International Orange and Dayglo Red or Orange are 2 different types of paints.

Int. Orange could be described as Bright Red with Orange hue - or Orange with strong Red hue - or reddish-orange.
Dayglo paints could be described as fluorescent, which, as every paint of this type, are prone to fast fading, due to their poor light fastness.

BTW, if anyone wants a few drops of Int. Orange for their projects, let me know, I am using it for some of my work, it's PPG mixed to the RAL standard, but I don't see too much of difference between RAL/FS/BS charts on this one.
Filip . . . .

Posted Image

Dermot
Member Avatar

Anyone know what colour the main rotor blades and rotor tips were on the Irish Air Corps Gazelle?

Can't quite make it out from any pics I've seen.

Thanks in advance,
Dermot
Gallery of my Completed Builds

On the Bench
1/72 Monogram F-105G Wild Weasel Vietnam GB

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · Hints & Tips, Tools & Resources · Next Topic »
Add Reply