Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Posting Pictures; A Helpful Guide
Topic Started: Oct 4 2013, 01:11 PM (4,193 Views)
Admin

So you want to post pictures on the IPMS Ireland Forum but you have no idea how? Hopefully this guide will help.

First of all lets talk about file extensions: there are a number of file extensions in existence for images. The three most common are .jpg, .png and .gif. I'd recommend you save your pictures as a .jpg. In order to use the [img] tags on the forum your picture URL will need to end in a picture file extension.

Now lets talk about dimensions; images are often measure in inches or cm but online they're also measure in pixels. The maximum allowable width of a picture on the IPMS Ireland Forum is 1024 pixels. Please don't mistake 1024 pixels with 1024 cm or inches, you'll create a monster. :P

Posted Image

There are a number of programs you can use to edit your pictures including Microsoft Paint, which comes with every version of Windows, Adobe Fireworks or Adobe Photoshop or GIMP. Yes, that is really the name of the program and it's also free. ^o) When you're saving your pictures I'd suggest giving them a short meaningful name. For example if you're working on tank wheels and showing them off then name the first picture WheelI and the second WheelII. It's optimal if your picture names do not have spaces in them as this leads to URL's filling with junk once they're placed online.

Once you edited your photo's to your satisfaction you'll need to upload them to a photo hosting service. There are many out there with the most popular being Image Shack, [url=www.photobucket.com]Photobucket[/URL], Flickr and Google Drive. However I would definitely recommend Photobucket to such an extent that the rest of this guide will utilise it.

Posted Image

You've signed up to Photobucket and you want to start adding pictures. Well first click on View Library from the drop-down menu as seen in the picture and then click on Create New Album. I find it best to give each specific project its own folder as it speeds up my ability to find the pictures and keeps them stored collectively. When creating a folder give a it a meaningful name. For example if you're working on a MiG-15 then call the folder MiG15. Again you don't want spaces in the folder name.

Posted Image

Ready to upload? After you've created your folder you may or may not be inside it. If not find it on the navigation bar on the left side of the page and click on it. Once the folder has load simply click on Upload.

Posted Image

When you click on Upload you'll be taken to the upload page. Here you can either drag a photo from a folder open on your computer into the white box on the page or click on Choose photos & videos to browse through folders and find them. You can upload more than one picture at once if you desire. Holding the Ctrl or Shift keys on your keyboard will allow you to select multiple items in a folder on Windows. Once the images have finished uploading you'll want to click on the link in the location specified in the above image. Please note that on your browser that link will have the same name as your folder, not mine.

Posted Image

You should be back in your folder with your picture, or pictures. Next hover your mouse cursor over your desired image and a cog symbol should appear. Hover the cursor over the cog and a white menu will appear; click on Share.

Posted Image

When you click on Share a box is going to pop up. You want to click on Links which will display several different URL options. Although it is temping do not click on the URL box underneath IMG codes. This will turn all of your pictures it links sending people back to Photobucket. It not seem like a big deal but it causes havoc for people browsing on touch-screen phones. Trust me. :ermm:

Instead click on the URL box underneath Direct. Once you click on this box it should flash yellow with the little message Copied! This means the URL has been copied to Windows clipboard and is ready to post. Your ready to switch back to the IPMS Ireland Forum.

Posted Image

Right, so your adding a new post, new reply or editing an existing one. Either way the window is the same. To post your picture click on the Image box on the editing pane. A small popup box will present itself. Right-click within it and the option to paste the URL from Photobucket should appear. Once you pasted the URL click on OK and you're done. Now when you submit your post your image will be there for all to see. :>

Hope that helps. Any questions, post them here.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

fs2005
Member Avatar

Im finding this afternoon that Photobucket is only uploading about half my pics.There are one or two it simply will not upload .And for all intents and purposes theyre no different to the others .Anybody ever had this happen .Tried reboot, renaming , java update etc .
Posted Image

Posted Image

Karl187
Member Avatar

fs2005
Aug 14 2014, 04:17 PM
Im finding this afternoon that Photobucket is only uploading about half my pics.There are one or two it simply will not upload .And for all intents and purposes theyre no different to the others .Anybody ever had this happen .Tried reboot, renaming , java update etc .
I've had this and other issues with photobucket over the good while I've used it- seems to happen every so often. I'd give it half an hour to an hour and try uploading again- if it's still playing up then maybe leave it a day and see. Any issues I've had in the past are usually sorted fairly quick.
Karl N. Hoy

On The Bench:

Ethiopian BMP-1 (Trumpeter 1/35)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

fs2005
Member Avatar

Thanks !
Posted Image

Posted Image

Barry
Member Avatar

Photobucket on my iPad just will not work..I've tried deleting it and re installing but to no avail...works fine on my HTC

Admin

Any issues with accessing Photobucket should be directed at their own customer support. There's nothing we can do about it. :book:

Barry
Member Avatar

I know that Sean..it's obviously a glitch

ReccebyStealth
Member Avatar

Hi Sean/guys,

Can you share from Snapfish?

Thanks
Glen

On the bench:
1/16 Trumpeter T-72B1 with Kontakt ERA
1/35 AML-30 prototype
1/35 Djibouti BTR-60 with AML-90 turret
1/72 S-Models BMD w/scratch slat armour.
And about 100 other part built kits... ;)
Posted Image

"The sergeant is the Army." Dwight D. Eisenhower

fs2005
Member Avatar

Photobucket app remarkably well behaved lately after a rough 6-12 months .
Posted Image

Posted Image

Gertney

Do I have to download photo bucket to upload photos on this

fs2005
Member Avatar

Yes .The new( ish?) app is good .Copy and paste the 'Direct Link' for the photo into the picture posting section ( be careful www or http isn't there twice )
Posted Image

Posted Image

tomo

Thanks Guys,

I'll have a go over the next week or so. Much appreciated.

Tomo :clap: :>

des byrne
Member Avatar
des Byrne
Anyone know how I get my pictures to show up from Photobucket it's changed now and when I copy to clip board like I used to and then post to the forum it gives a different text now and I've tried to delete some of the text but it doesn't work it just gives a link to the photos
Like this
[IMG]Hi, I've shared 1 photo via Photobucket. Please click the link to view photos: http://share.photobucket.com/shareprofile/indexshare.php?id=ODYyNjc=[/IMG]
Edited by des byrne, Jun 18 2017, 01:19 PM.
Posted Image

Prenton
Member Avatar

Des - photobucket still works for me in the old way. I just download the photos to a library I have set up in advance, then click on the photo and then on the last of the four links it gives you (Img I think) and then I copy this and post the link into my message. Then I trim the link here as outlined earlier in this thread. Worked fine for me this morning with a photo of a potential car for the proposals thread.

Philip
"To boldly go..."

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

des byrne
Member Avatar
des Byrne
Prenton
Jun 18 2017, 02:47 PM
Des - photobucket still works for me in the old way. I just download the photos to a library I have set up in advance, then click on the photo and then on the last of the four links it gives you (Img I think) and then I copy this and post the link into my message. Then I trim the link here as outlined earlier in this thread. Worked fine for me this morning with a photo of a potential car for the proposals thread.

Philip
Mine used to be the same but it's changed on my phone now it doesn't give me those options anymore this is what I get when I want to copy a photo from the library on it
[IMG]Hi, I've shared 1 photo via Photobucket. Please click the link to view photos: http://share.photobucket.com/shareprofile/indexshare.php?id=ODYyODg=[/IMG]
Posted Image

des byrne
Member Avatar
des Byrne
Y
Edited by des byrne, Jun 18 2017, 04:33 PM.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Help & Support · Next Topic »
Add Reply